The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, my car arrived safe and sound from Plano texas to Alabama! yay!

I drive it last night for the first time and LOVE pretty much everything but i have a couple of questions.

I notice my driver side window indexes but not the passenger, is that normal?
on my C6, both do it so i'm not sure about this one. I did try to read through my owners manual but it's overwhelming to read all that stuff in a day...:crazyeyes

Also, noticed when i lifted engine cover, oil dip stick is located way in the back, ....um, how to you get in there to pull and check the oil?? that looked complicated.:shrug:

What a difference sport mode made!!!-eek- wow! Drove to my destination (40miles) without sport button on and got 29 miles to the gal, came back from the destination with sport mode on and MPG dropped to 23 i think it said. You can definitely feel and hear all of the "sport" mode goodies doing what they're supposed to.

Audio sounds quite nice i thought....my ipod didn't fit the plug in glovebox...it must only work with certain ipods.

Was surprised to see that XM worked since in my vette, it only worked for a year (free) then i had to pay after that. I wonder if this one is good for only a certain amount of time?

Only negative comment is visibility out the tiny back window... :-/
Heated seats are luke warm, not near as warm as i was hoping they'd be but it works.

this car is very responsive, amazing handling and quite comfortable...i am very pleased. :):nanner2:

Anyone know what i can do about "license plate bracket holes" in the front where the dealer had their plate mounted?? i was horrified to see that they drilled through the car in 5 places to mount this big ugly bracket for their plate...OMG are you kidding me????-eek-:facepalm it's awful looking, thinking of getting the black wrap package done just to hide some of those ugly holes...holy cow...

Aspen white is AWESOME! it's bright, cool like snow...the Venom Red is deep blood red and stunning ....luv it!:up:
PICS ADDED in thread..:)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Congrats!

Both windows should do the "drop down dance". Probably need to do a reset using the procedure in the manual for the passenger side.
It's a bit of a reach to get to the dipstick, but not that hard reaching in from the side after you take the engine cover off.
Too bad about the front plate holder--my dealer gave me the option of not installing it, which was a no brainer decision for me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
For the holes in the front bumper, look into bumper plugs. My slk came with drilled license plate holes as well. There is a company that made these small round buttons that are color matched to your vehicle paint code. I'll shoot you the web address later if I remember to do so, but I think you can google up some results for bumper plugs or something like that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the holes in the front bumper, look into bumper plugs. My slk came with drilled license plate holes as well. There is a company that made these small round buttons that are color matched to your vehicle paint code. I'll shoot you the web address later if I remember to do so, but I think you can google up some results for bumper plugs or something like that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
thank you! i will google this, i have never heard of them...that would help!

·
Registered
392 Posts
thank you! i will google this, i have never heard of them...that would help!
I just tried a quick google and found the company I got my plugs from, which apparently makes them for all other brands including ferrari and lambo, but not lotus.

Bumper Plugs

I suppose you can probably make your own. Essentially they're just barbed fasteners painted to match the car color. If you can get color-correct touch up paint for your vehicle somewhere, you can sand the top of the fasteners with 400 to 800 grit, paint coat it several times, add a couple of clear coats, and you'll be good.

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just tried a quick google and found the company I got my plugs from, which apparently makes them for all other brands including ferrari and lambo, but not lotus.

Bumper Plugs

I suppose you can probably make your own. Essentially they're just barbed fasteners painted to match the car color. If you can get color-correct touch up paint for your vehicle somewhere, you can sand the top of the fasteners with 400 to 800 grit, paint coat it several times, add a couple of clear coats, and you'll be good.
thanks, i did find a DIY on the internet but can't find my aspen white touch up paint anywhere....will keep looking. Thanks!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Could be a broken door latch causing the window issue. Happened to mine.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Congrats! I've actually seen your car at Park Place Lotus...it is a beauty!

The MPG indicator is not really accurate. I put 10 gallons of fuel in mine when it was near empty & drove back to my hometown in OK in non sport mode. The MPG gauge said 21 mpg, but I actually got 27mpg when dividing actual miles driven by 10 gallons. Getting into wide open throttle at times has an adverse affect on the MPG indicator. ;)

It's already been answered, but yes both windows should index. Sorry they drilled into your bumper. It is state law in TX to have a front bumper, but not everyone here follows that law. Some of us prefer to take the ticket. ;) I'd have to pay for 25 tickets to break even with the cost of a new front bumper, & I've not known anyone here who hasn't had a no plate ticket dismissed after showing the judge a pic of the plate on the front of their car. Velcro & magnets work really well for snapping a quick pic. :D For the record, I've not been stopped for it once in the 8 years I've lived here in any vehicle.

This *may* save you some heartache as it's been a common issue for the newer Evoras recently: The throttle body's electrical connector can be loose from the factory & cause the car to 1) Go into limp mode & not drive over a few thousand RPMs & accelerate very slowly, 2) Cause a CEL, 3) Disable Sport mode, 4) Turn on traction control light. All you need to do is push the connector all the way flush to the throttle body & it will correct itself upon restart. Just a few millimeters away from flush can cause the aforementioned issues. Mine wasn't even on far enough to the audible "click" detent.

It is well documented here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/found-source-my-cel-limp-mode-issue-162538/

The IPS has specific issues, but I don't remember what they are (my car is manual), but a simple software update seems to fix the issue in most if not all cases. Hopefully Plano upgraded your software before you took delivery & this won't be an issue.

All this being said...have fun!!! :shift:

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
i agree, the venom red is really amazing in the flesh. it is one of the only versions of red i can handle - doesn't have that lip stick or blood look of the other makes.

bumper plug - they are great; i used them for a number of painted parts for my 996 and always great work.

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
You can reset your MPG calc by holding down the button that cycles through the display options when MPG is showing. Depending on when you reset it, I can get anywhere from about 12-29 :)

Window reset is pretty easy if I remember it correctly. Hold the down button until it's all the way down, then up until it's all the way up.

Congrats, enjoy and post pics!

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much for all this info...!! I pray my car doesnt have these issues but at least i will have an idea of what it is if it happens...
Yeah i wish my car didnt have 5 holes in it but i will do as the others here recommended and try the bumper plug diy deal..:)

Congrats! I've actually seen your car at Park Place Lotus...it is a beauty!

The MPG indicator is not really accurate. I put 10 gallons of fuel in mine when it was near empty & drove back to my hometown in OK in non sport mode. The MPG gauge said 21 mpg, but I actually got 27mpg when dividing actual miles driven by 10 gallons. Getting into wide open throttle at times has an adverse affect on the MPG indicator. ;)

It's already been answered, but yes both windows should index. Sorry they drilled into your bumper. It is state law in TX to have a front bumper, but not everyone here follows that law. Some of us prefer to take the ticket. ;) I'd have to pay for 25 tickets to break even with the cost of a new front bumper, & I've not known anyone here who hasn't had a no plate ticket dismissed after showing the judge a pic of the plate on the front of their car. Velcro & magnets work really well for snapping a quick pic. :D For the record, I've not been stopped for it once in the 8 years I've lived here in any vehicle.

This *may* save you some heartache as it's been a common issue for the newer Evoras recently: The throttle body's electrical connector can be loose from the factory & cause the car to 1) Go into limp mode & not drive over a few thousand RPMs & accelerate very slowly, 2) Cause a CEL, 3) Disable Sport mode, 4) Turn on traction control light. All you need to do is push the connector all the way flush to the throttle body & it will correct itself upon restart. Just a few millimeters away from flush can cause the aforementioned issues. Mine wasn't even on far enough to the audible "click" detent.

It is well documented here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/found-source-my-cel-limp-mode-issue-162538/

The IPS has specific issues, but I don't remember what they are (my car is manual), but a simple software update seems to fix the issue in most if not all cases. Hopefully Plano upgraded your software before you took delivery & this won't be an issue.

All this being said...have fun!!! :shift:

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can reset your MPG calc by holding down the button that cycles through the display options when MPG is showing. Depending on when you reset it, I can get anywhere from about 12-29 :)

Window reset is pretty easy if I remember it correctly. Hold the down button until it's all the way down, then up until it's all the way up.

Congrats, enjoy and post pics!
I did try to reset the window index issue..to no avail..:-( i am about 4 hrs from a lotus dealer so we will have to try to figure it out ourselves...i have a copy of the maintenance manual on the way from a nice individual here so maybe we can figure it out..
thank you for the info!

·
Registered
276 Posts
If its a door latch problem there is usually an issue with the window not raising up when the door its closed or in my case the window would move down slightly (like when opening the door) when taking a hard right turn and would go back up if I pulled in on the door. Not sure if the door latch issue manifests itself in other ways.

When I had my latch replaced I remember it took a few tries to get the window to work properly, did the all the way up/down reset a few times and it eventually did the right thing. Not sure if it matters if the car is running our not.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Did you determine this by taking the door panel off?
Not sure. Dealer did the inspection and their tech is TOP NOTCH. When you open and close the door, there's no window movement nor a read on the security system. Part is on back order.

·
Illegal Alien
5,352 Posts
You should receive manuals tomorrow, but in mean time.

Section MR (Electrical) Page 7 of the Service Manual:

"Note: If the battery supply is interrupted, the one touch down and auto drop features will not function. There will be an increased risk of damage to the door window seals until:

- each window is fully lowered and the switch held for 2 seconds ( a click will be heard). "

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You should receive manuals tomorrow, but in mean time.

Section MR (Electrical) Page 7 of the Service Manual:

"Note: If the battery supply is interrupted, the one touch down and auto drop features will not function. There will be an increased risk of damage to the door window seals until:

- each window is fully lowered and the switch held for 2 seconds ( a click will be heard). "
Hi Julian! Yes i read this and did it...right side where index issue is did not click..driver side did...i dont know whats wrong with the thing...thanks for the manual!:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.