The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered Insane
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I secured a deal on a beautiful 2002 Esprit. This one wasn't advertised anywhere and fell into my lap. It has been owned by the same person since 2004, has all records and only has 12,000 miles. My butt dyno says it's almost as quick as my 2004 996TT X-50 was.

This one blows away the other local 2002 that I had inspected and I'm glad I didn't purchase it. Now that I've driven the two cars, the Silver 2002 definitely was down on power.

I'm excited to become an active participant here and I'm sure there is lots to learn from the seasoned owners.

-Doc

·
Registered
480 Posts
Congrats and don't forget to post some pics. I read the full thread on the first Esprit you were considering and don't blame you for backing out. I'm amazed at how quickly you got fixed up with another one. Great job!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I secured a deal on a beautiful 2002 Esprit. This one wasn't advertised anywhere and fell into my lap. It has been owned by the same person since 2004, has all records and only has 12,000 miles. My butt dyno says it's almost as quick as my 2004 996TT X-50 was.

This one blows away the other local 2002 that I had inspected and I'm glad I didn't purchase it. Now that I've driven the two cars, the Silver 2002 definitely was down on power.

I'm excited to become an active participant here and I'm sure there is lots to learn from the seasoned owners.

-Doc
Congrats! Be sure to check out the threads on the bendy throttle cable bracket to make sure you are getting full power. Then calibrate the butt dyno and have another go!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

-Doc
Would you mind sharing what you paid? What bits were included? Same advice as with the other car, make sure the timing belts are up to date. Since you have a full service history that should be easy to check. Get yourself a Battery Tender. If you don't use the car the battery can do dead in less than a month. Other useful things include:
A Valentine 1 or equivalent
Driving gloves
Driving shoes
A performance driving course

David Teitelbaum

·
Registered Insane
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would you mind sharing what you paid? What bits were included? Same advice as with the other car, make sure the timing belts are up to date. Since you have a full service history that should be easy to check. Get yourself a Battery Tender. If you don't use the car the battery can do dead in less than a month. Other useful things include:
A Valentine 1 or equivalent
Driving gloves
Driving shoes
A performance driving course

David Teitelbaum
Thanks David.

Belts replaced recently.
Have a battery tender from my other cars.
Have been using a V1 for 15 years. Just had it upgraded.
Don't need driving gloves in Florida.
Have a few pairs of driving shoes.
Have taken a few Skip Barber courses and have track experience. This car will probably not see a track in my ownership.

Pictures will be posted once it's all washed and in my garage. It's the Metallic Yellow with Beige interior. I'd prefer a Black interior, however this car is so clean and well cared for that the interior color is not a deal breaker.

·
Super Moderator
4,265 Posts
[snip]
Belts replaced recently. [snip].
Some folks are not familiar with the extreme importance of replacing the TIMING belt on an Esprit.

I've also seen ads for Esprits that mention 'belts replaced' only to see the details say 'alternator and water pump/accesories belts' and not TIMING belt.

You want to be 100% sure your timing belt replacement is up to date re: mileage/years used.

If your timing belt age/mileage is not easily verified, I highly recommend postponing your 'butt dyno' sessions to prevent potential engine damage due to a broken belt.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Thanks David.

Belts replaced recently.
Have a battery tender from my other cars.
Have been using a V1 for 15 years. Just had it upgraded.
Don't need driving gloves in Florida.
Have a few pairs of driving shoes.
Have taken a few Skip Barber courses and have track experience. This car will probably not see a track in my ownership.

Pictures will be posted once it's all washed and in my garage. It's the Metallic Yellow with Beige interior. I'd prefer a Black interior, however this car is so clean and well cared for that the interior color is not a deal breaker.
I find using gloves gives me a better grip on the wheel and the interior of the car stays cleaner.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered Insane
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some folks are not familiar with the extreme importance of replacing the TIMING belt on an Esprit.

I've also seen ads for Esprits that mention 'belts replaced' only to see the details say 'alternator and water pump/accesories belts' and not TIMING belt.

You want to be 100% sure your timing belt replacement is up to date re: mileage/years used.

If your timing belt age/mileage is not easily verified, I highly recommend postponing your 'butt dyno' sessions to prevent potential engine damage due to a broken belt.
You are 100% correct. I meet the shop owner who has cared for this car since 2004 and everything is documented. The timing belt has been replaced within the past three years and 2K miles. The car is as clean as they come and that is the reason why I jumped on it so fast.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
You are 100% correct. I meet the shop owner who has cared for this car since 2004 and everything is documented. The timing belt has been replaced within the past three years and 2K miles. The car is as clean as they come and that is the reason why I jumped on it so fast.

·
Registered Insane
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My new to me 2004 Esprit FE is in the garage. The deal for the 2002 Yellow one fell through and the timing wasn't right. The stealership who still has the Silver 2002 can keep the oxcart they have for sale.

Long story short. I kept on searching and looked through the for sale section here and saw a 2004 FE for sale. It was listed by GTLOTUS because his friend had passed away and the wife didn't know how to sell the car. I drove up today and against my better judgement, bought the car without a PPI. I do have a folder full of all documented work performed on the car while this gentleman owned it. There are a few very minor issues to be sorted out.

After I get some miles under my belt, I'll post a review compared to my NSX that I owned for 14yrs which was totaled last November.

-Cheers.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Doc - I drove that 2004 FE in December. Don't worry about the lack of a PPI. You got a nice one. Car needs a clutch, you'll notice the chatter signaling that the flywheel and/or pressure plate are not flat. Not a big deal, a clutch in a V8 is nothing unusual. If you can tolerate the chatter moving away from a stop, it probably won't get any worse. I liked the car, we just couldn't get together on the price at that time. With some time passed since then, I assume the price came down. The seller is a nice girl, lost her soul mate. Sad situation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts