The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...how long should i expect to hear a prominent squeal while my new pads are bedding?..

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
1027 miles.............or somewhere around that. :tadts: ( some pads you can get rid of it in about 563 miles )

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
did you bed the pads in? do a few 40-5 mph stops in succession (in an empty road obviously) and it should go away.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...no, i haven't performed any special bedding procedure, merely driven normally since they were replaced two weeks ago...the truth is that, outside of a track, i don't brake very much in my daily driving - i really enjoy carrying as much momentum as possible, throttle down as needed, and gently brush my brakes only toward the finish of a dead stop where required...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
bedding increases the effectiveness of your brakes when you need them in an emergency. I had the same squeeking issue when I replaced the front pads on my Cobra, and they went away after the bedding procedure based on the suggestion of an oldtimer mechanic/racer friend of mine. Doesn't hurt to try :shrug:

ps, after braking in, keep driving a bit until they cool down, if you clamp on the brakes and stop while its hot, you'll get uneven bedding on the rotors.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
With some compounds, it may never go away. Putting a bevel on the leading edge of the pad is a simple trick that almost always works.

·
Registered
974 Posts
With some compounds, it may never go away. Putting a bevel on the leading edge of the pad is a simple trick that almost always works.
Hmmm. I'll have to try that. My brakes have been squealing for over 3000 miles even when I'm NOT on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Hmmm. I'll have to try that. My brakes have been squealing for over 3000 miles even when I'm NOT on the brake pedal.
I'll be doing just that to a new set of Ferodos I've got here for the daily driver before they get installed.
:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I did the bed process on the s240 and they still squeal from time to time. More so with dust build up or if they are not up to temp.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...i followed the bedding procedure this weekend: found a nice, empty, uninterrupted straight with turnarounds at both ends, and spent about fourty minutes repeatedly braking from sixty to ten followed by about twenty minutes at speed, then drove home to park for the night without any braking at all...my brakes are completely silent now and perform very well - thanks for the tip!..

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
awesome!:clap::up:

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts

beat me to it. darn.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
cheap file, bucket of water.
Or just a box in my case.

beat me to it. darn.
:up:

To show an example of the dust created, most of which falls straight down. This is the dust from eight Ferodo DS2500 pads for the Evo. I threw the file package on top to show the $8 Lowe's 10" cross-cut bastard file I picked up the other day for this. It's garbage now. I'd have prefered a slightly more coarse file but the selection was non-existant. Total time was about 30 minutes and I should have picked up two files.

Just hold file against bottom of box and rub pad against it (wrapped in rag to minimize blisters from pad). Nothing too scientific.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Just bedded them in... not a peep.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts