The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brand new car cover just came in the mail today. In the instruction manual there is the following text:

WARNING TO OWNERS OF RE-PAINTED VEHICLES: Use of a cover on any recently painted surface may cause damage to that surface! If your vehicle has been repainted within the last 6 months, check with the painter or body shop on the specifics of how and when you can use this cover.

Granted the elise won't have been "re-painted", and with my luck it will sit in port for 6 months, but in the off chance I do get the car w/in the next 6 months, does anyone know if the car cover is safe?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The Elise is similar to a re-painted car in that it is not baked like a steel body car and a DuPont paint made for body shops is used that does not need baking. However, I have to believe that by the time we get our cars the paint is fully cured.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I don't think you'll have any problems, I am a dedicated car-cover user and I had a respray on my Miata back about a year ago or more. I started using my cover shortly after I got it back and had no issues whatsoever.

The Elise's paint should be quite well-cured by the time it arrives to us here in the U.S.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hope its baked!?!

My car is still in the shop and they will begin the paint work next week. I was told they will be baking it just like they do at the factory. If it comes back as a melted pile then I guess we will know that they're not baked.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Just got my Elise yesterday - can someone tell me where to get the car cover?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I see you know where I bought it! LOL. Valenti has enough of my money; buying from here is just fine. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
well it has been kinda hard to NOT know where you bought it given all the back and forth. :D so what are your impressions after the initial few miles thrashing it about?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Heidi: I just purchased an indoor cover
made by Covercraft. It is called the
Dustop and protects the finish from dust
residue scratches well. It's a custom fit
for the Elise (Item C16444TS) and ran
me $128 which included shipping ($9.00)
and a cover bag ($7.00). They distribute
it through many retail outlets but I
purchased it on-line at
www.autosupermarket.com
P.S. - They also have a large range of
outside covers.

·
Registered
816 Posts
LotusLust said:
well it has been kinda hard to NOT know where you bought it given all the back and forth. :D so what are your impressions after the initial few miles thrashing it about?
This car is unlike anything I've ever driven before. It's not the big Bimmer or Audi; I love it! I'm trying to take it easy for a while, partly because I haven't driven a standard in years, and also to get it through the break in period without causing trouble. Being at the same level as most cars tires takes some getting used to, but the way it handles is beyond anything I've ever experienced. Now I understand what all the fuss is about.

I agree with others; the radio isn't the greatest. Cute, but lousy reception. The heater works, the defrost is not the greatest. The headlights are adequate for normal driving - they illuminate enough to see a fair distance, but if I were to drive at night a bit faster they couldn't show enough road ahead to be good.

Overall, I love it. Haven't driven the Audi since I got it; it's going to feel like an oceanliner when I get back in.

Ridge - thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Heidi: I believe someone posted info on
this site....or puresportscar.... concerning
how to get a stronger concentrated air
flow onto the windshield when a site
member mentioned the same problem
you did. If no one comes forth from this
thread, you're going to have to scroll
back and see if you can find it in the
archives. Note: I did find a thread about
an air-flow problem but it only had to do
with increasing air toward the driver's
face. What was mentioned, even though
you have probably done it, is making sure
that all the vents are fully closed with
the exception of those directing air onto
the windshield. By concentrating all the
existing air-flow surge to one area,
instead of multiples, it should produce
the maximum air your car is capable of
generating.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Heidi, did you read my private message? I got mine at Valenti I think.. the same day you did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts