The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
I did all the prepwork and disassembly myself. Supplies such as sandpaper, tape, painters plastic, and then all the supplies to paint the car (tack rag, buffing pads, paint, clear, sealer, primer, all that good stuff) was about $2000. Then I paid another $1000 for spray and buff. Had to replace the weather-stripping which was another $400. So I was able to get it done for about $3500 with me doing all the prep. After seeing first hand what all goes into a complete doors off paint job, I'd expect to pay about 7-8k from a reputable shop using top notch supplies. I used the most expensive paint I could buy, I could have gotten away with using a paint that was about 1/3rd the price, but I dont want complications down the road.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a little up there. It looks like the typo on the thread title was not a typo after all.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
That’s a little up there. It looks like the typo on the thread title was not a typo after all.
yeah i would budget anywhere between 4-6k to get a full spray (clams/panels off & everything) :shrug:

then again nobody here would ever recommend a Maaco paint job... get it done right with quality prep, paint & clear coat... its worth the investment if you really want a different color done right

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i would budget anywhere between 4-6k to get a full spray (clams/panels off & everything) :shrug:

then again nobody here would ever recommend a Maaco paint job... get it done right with quality prep, paint & clear coat... its worth the investment if you really want a different color done right

Does it make a difference if I'm keeping the same color? The current paint job is sun faded and full of rock chips.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
FYI, everything in the Chicagoland area seems to be more $$ than everywhere else. i had a shop do a respray for a client, it still came out to around $7500 and the customer wasnt even looking for top notch work.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Does it make a difference if I'm keeping the same color? The current paint job is sun faded and full of rock chips.
actually yes, that would make a noticeable difference... it would obviously be cheaper if you do stay the same color... i would at minimum recommend buying a very high quality clear coat (i would say a quality paint & clear would run upwards to $1500ish pending on color)... doesn't have to be the best $ can buy, but you certainly want it durable (PPG & Dupont are good brands to stick with paint-wise)

then the rest is prep/labor cost

where are you located?

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Even if you are painting the same color, if the whole car is getting done (or at least the "whole" outside) then I bet the cost won't change much. Overspray on off color bits is going to hurt you at sale time, might as well get it done right for the $$$.

OTOH, if you're going for the same color you could consider just having what needs to be done done, ie front clam and rockers, that is probably cheaper.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Also, keep in mind that once you respray, you WILL want to reinstall starshield, so that adds another $1000-1200.

It ain't cheap!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I painted my Elise for around $400. I used a single stage urethane so it didn't need a clear coat. If I used a clear coat, my total cost would have been about $500. I'd shoot myself in the face if I had to pay someone $7500 to spray my car. Yikes.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'd shoot myself in the face if I had to pay someone $7500 to spray my car. Yikes.
haha...

but you did your own work? that's a nice skill to have...

·
Previous Owner
29 Posts
dips

Has anyone tried the spray on vinyl kit from dip your car?

I'm thinking about getting a couple gallon kit to try on my motorcycle before dipping a whole car.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
haha...

but you did your own work? that's a nice skill to have...
Yeah I did all my own work. It's a very useful skill to have when you are really into the car scene. I change the color of all my vehicles more than I change my underpants. Also, being able to paint my own cars eases my mind when I get rock chips and scratches. That kinda stuff doesn't bother me because I know minor damage is only a weekend worth of work at most. I also stock PPG products because I have a platinum account at the local auto paint supply store... My discount is outrageous. Any money that I make doing side work I just stock up on more supplies. :nanner2:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yeah I did all my own work. It's a very useful skill to have when you are really into the car scene. I change the color of all my vehicles more than I change my underpants. Also, being able to paint my own cars eases my mind when I get rock chips and scratches. That kinda stuff doesn't bother me because I know minor damage is only a weekend worth of work at most. I also stock PPG products because I have a platinum account at the local auto paint supply store... My discount is outrageous. Any money that I make doing side work I just stock up on more supplies. :nanner2:
How did you learn?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Went to Wyotech. The day I graduated, I moved back home and got hired at a hotrod shop as a painter/fabricator. Built custom cars for two years, learned from the best talent in Chicago, then I had a 40's Willys coupe featured in a massive car expo at pheasant run, local people started to know my name, then I left the automotive scene to work for united healthcare. Now I just do side work out of my garage because I have a really good local reputation and enough work to keep me busy and fund my various lotus/jeep projects.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
...I'm also really good friends with one of the most well known hotrod builders around the Chicago suburbs. He is a retired printing press mechanic and he let me build cars out of his shop for a few years. He was kind of my automotive mentor. I taught him some new school stuff but he taught me tons of old school stuff. For about 4 years of my life I felt like I was living one of those hotrod shows on the discovery channel. I'd go straight from my office to the shop and build crazy fun cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts