The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying an Evora here. I love driving and working on British sports cars, and have a 1957 Austin-Healey 100-6, a 1974 MGB (chrome bumper), and also a supercharged BRZ daily driver. I don't drive my Healey nearly enough, just letting it sit in the garage, so I'm going to sell it and get something I can use as more of a DD.

Friends have been trying to convince me that the Cayman is a better car and that I should get it instead--but to that I say: ha. The look and image of all Porsches just doesn't do it for me. I haven't driven one, so I can't say whether it's a better car, really. Lotuses (Loti?) have always had sexy mystique to me, but the Elise is too far into the impractical realm for something I'd get.

* I'm probably going to go with a 2011 Evora 2+2, but things I'm wondering: is the naturally aspirated version powerful enough? Will I regret not getting the S?

* What's insurance like? Geico gave me a pretty low quote (~$900 for a year, I think. I'm 28.) State Farm wanted something like $2400. All State was in the middle, $1400 or so.

Anyway, hello from a new user!

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Thinking about buying an Evora here. I love driving and working on British sports cars, and have a 1957 Austin-Healey 100-6, a 1974 MGB (chrome bumper), and also a supercharged BRZ daily driver. I don't drive my Healey nearly enough, just letting it sit in the garage, so I'm going to sell it and get something I can use as more of a DD.

Friends have been trying to convince me that the Cayman is a better car and that I should get it instead--but to that I say: ha. The look and image of all Porsches just doesn't do it for me. I haven't driven one, so I can't say whether it's a better car, really. Lotuses (Loti?) have always had sexy mystique to me, but the Elise is too far into the impractical realm for something I'd get.

* I'm probably going to go with a 2011 Evora 2+2, but things I'm wondering: is the naturally aspirated version powerful enough? Will I regret not getting the S?

* What's insurance like? Geico gave me a pretty low quote (~$900 for a year, I think. I'm 28.) State Farm wanted something like $2400. All State was in the middle, $1400 or so.

Anyway, hello from a new user!
Welcome to potential Lotus ownership.

If you like working on British Cars, with the Healy and MGB (I had a much loved 70 BGT) as reference, owning/working on a modern Lotus (plural of Lotus is Lotus...Lotus actually issued a service bulletin to this effect back in the 60's) has nothing to do with your frame of reference. That's to be expected, working on a modern Mustang is nothing like working on a vintage Mustang.

It's sacrilige on here, but I really like the current Cayman S. Hell of a car. Equal to or superior to the Evora in most ways. The Evora is more satisfying to drive and somewhat more responsive, but from the multiple comparo tests I've read on track days drivers being equal the Cayman S generally laps faster. The infamous Lotus 'feel' IS a big factor, for sure.

And of course there is the style/exclusivity issue. Lotus has that all over the Cayman in most peoples' eyes, although I prefer the Cayman's styling to the Evora's. And you will see more Cayman's on the road. That seems to be really important to some folks.

I've driven N/A and S Evoras. My own view is buy the most powerful one you can afford. If you get a killer deal on an N/A, great, but just know there are faster from the factory Evoras out there. I DID own an NA and S Exige, and it was a BIG difference.

You can always own a Porsche...there will always be plenty to choose from. Unless Lotus gets its act together, for the most part all the Lotus that will be available in the U.S. are currently in the U.S., so jump into Lotus ownership while you can still get new/low mileage ones.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
867 Posts
Having a sports car as a DD can depend on where you live. Up here in WI, the Evora would be a terrible car in the winter, even with snow tires. Just far too much salt and sand mixed with pot holes from the plows; it's just not a pretty picture. But if you're further in the south, this becomes more of a possibility. Between a Cayman and an Evora, the Cayman is probably going to have a better finish to the car, specifically on the interior. When I was shopping for an Evora, I honestly didn't even cross-shop a Porsche. I didn't like the brand image; more of a status car than a drivers car. Lotus (which is the plural form, there's a thread on that somewhere...) have always appealed to me far more anyway due to their exotic nature and exclusivity without the enormous price tag.

As far as if an NA is powerful enough, that kind of depends on how much trouble you want to get into. The NA to me is adequate and far beyond my capability today. If I were to take driving lessons or ever wanted to track my car, I would likely want to move to a supercharged version. For me, the added mechanical complexity with the initial cost and future costs (tires cost about double with the S and last 1/3 as long) made the NA much more attractive. But for everyone, that's a different story. Try both. I'm good with the NA.

I have State Farm and I got a pretty good quote. Granted my car is a MY13 and was purchased new, I'm only 27 and was quoted about $90 a month. I've never had a claim, I have all the discounts possible for the most part, but I didn't even have to shop around for insurance. I would do some research on here about Geico before jumping to them, a few horror stories exist with Lotus cars.

If you're looking at a used MY11, just make sure all warranty items are taken care of prior to purchase. You can look those up in the Evora section of the forum. When you purchase one, you have to post pictures!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I live in Virginia, so the winters are relatively mild. I do have a 2008 Mazda 3 I forgot to mention (I have an embarrassing number of cars), which I drive in inclement weather.

I don't imagine I'll be doing any work on the Lotus; I don't like working on any modern cars really, and my hope is that the Lotus is will require about the same amount of service and regular maintenance as any other modern car. Is this true?

I'm also not a track driver, though learning the basics at skid and track school is on my to-do list. I test drove both the naturally aspirated and supercharged, but I really felt I barely scratched the surface of what the supercharged version could do. I definitely felt the NA one was extremely zippy, and more than enough for what I'm looking for (driving feel, exotic aspect of the car, simply enjoying touring and commuting).

$90 a month with State Farm sounds excellent! I should've mentioned that my existing insurance far exceeds the legal minimum, but I feel I'm still being charged a premium. I get a few discounts and have never had a claim, but there is a speeding ticket two years back that's still on my record.

I'll check out Geico stories on the forum. I do worry about selection bias, though: how often do people who are satisfied with their insurance go online to talk about it?

I'll search for warranty issues too. I heard of that fire hazard issue on the 2011s, but I'll have to research to find more.

Re: Lotus' future, is it not doing well in the US?

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Lotus' future, is it not doing well in the US?
The only model they currently sell in the U.S. is the Evora, with nothing concrete on the horizon for the U.S. market. Lots of rumors, but nothing for sure.

Supposedly they sell about 100 Evoras a year in the U.S....although there seems to be a lot of new old stock or low mileage used Evoras on dealers lots to compete against the brand new ones.

Hardly sales volume to maintain a robust dealer network.

Add to that Exige/Elise and some Evora owners won't take their cars to get serviced by a Lotus Dealer, won't buy their parts there. Not overpaying is good, of course. But if the current Lotus owners don't get their cars serviced at a dealership or buy parts there, and people aren't buying new cars there in any numbers, one has to wonder why anyone would even WANT to be a dealer.

But this has kinda been Lotus' MO for 50 years, so...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the sake of anyone else in a similar situation, here's a list of warranty-related items I've compiled, as well as items I want to inspect on the car. They're quoted from various posts on this forum:

1) Any bubbling on our dash or side sills;
2) How's your trunk liner holding up. Is it starting to peel off?;
3) All buttons working properly (including gas cap and glove box release)
4) Any warping on the headliner by the windshield? You'll start to see a gap from the outside of the car
5) Turn your steering wheel from lock to lock several time, any clicking noises while turning (that's my current issue)
6) A/C and heater working fine?
7) If you have a 2+2, is the rear seat starting to lift?
8) How high do you have to lift the parking brake before the brake light illuminates?
9) Any bubbling on the Star Shield?
10) Does your cruise control work?
11) Check to see if the Oil cooler recall applies to you (though it may not).
12) Check vent tube that goes to the engine heat sheild for cracking. After market replacement with heat-resistant wrap recommended.
13) When washing the car, water would get in trunk and door jams - they did the water leak service bulletin
14) Clutch gets soft when car gets hot - service bulletin that puts heat shield on clutch line
15) Slight play in steering wheel - service bulletin that put a larger spacer in the steering column
16) Sometimes tough to downshift into first gear

·
Registered
7,248 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Evora vs Cayman

Hi,
I'm in a similar situation - I'm looking to buy a 2010 or 2011 Evora, but I already had a 2006 Cayman S.
With similarities such as mid-body engine and same slightly higher HP, it's still quite different than the lotus. The Cayman is probably a bit more refined and comfortable inside. The GPS is useless on the Cayman models before 2009. In my opinion, the Evora is way cooler appearance and definitely much more unusual. Resale will be easier.

Did you get your Evora yet? Any advice for me??
John

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 2011 evora and formerly owned an 06 Cayman S. The Evora is a much more pure car, though slightly less practical in terms of storage. Nevertheless, I have manged a couple road trips in the evora without incident.

If you're in the market for an Evora, please check mine out. Growing family has me consolidating cars :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I went from a 2010 Cayman S to a 2010 NA Evora. The Porsche is faster and more refined inside (Go Evora S if this is a factor to you). There are many items I liked better about the Cayman but there is just something about driving the Evora that "hooked" me. I am going to try it out for a while. The looks are amazing, the handling is fantastic and when I am in it I feel very connected. I can already tell I can push it harder than the Cayman. Anyway I will say the Cayman is a nicer car but doesn't handle as well. Thats really saying something as the Caymans handle great.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The 2014/15 Cayman GTS is apparently the one to get. - at least according to all the press reports. I've actually been pondering a new 2014 Porsche 911 S or 2014 Evora S, skipping the Cayman entirely. Indeed the 911 has a richer, more refined interior but depending on options, easily over $30K more out the door. Porsche does have the stronger dealer network, but famous for being expensive. The Evora interior is less refined and seems to have a wee bit of problem with air-conditioning (missing from the list of issues).

My recent hot laps around Laguna Seca in a stock 2014 Evora S (stick), convinced me that Lotus is fully track capable, yet refined enough as your daily exotic.

The emotional decision. If you buy the Cayman, you'll always be wondering about the Evora. And expect the gnashing of teeth when you see one pass by your Cayman.

d

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Welcome aboard! I was totally unimpressed with the handling of the Cayman S at the track. It did not have the Lotus control and feel. It just didnt glue to the corners like a lotus does. But with that said I would definitely go with an Evora S for power.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having a sports car as a DD can depend on where you live. Up here in WI, the Evora would be a terrible car in the winter, even with snow tires. Just far too much salt and sand mixed with pot holes from the plows; it's just not a pretty picture. But if you're further in the south, this becomes more of a possibility. Between a Cayman and an Evora, the Cayman is probably going to have a better finish to the car, specifically on the interior. When I was shopping for an Evora, I honestly didn't even cross-shop a Porsche. I didn't like the brand image; more of a status car than a drivers car. Lotus (which is the plural form, there's a thread on that somewhere...) have always appealed to me far more anyway due to their exotic nature and exclusivity without the enormous price tag.

As far as if an NA is powerful enough, that kind of depends on how much trouble you want to get into. The NA to me is adequate and far beyond my capability today. If I were to take driving lessons or ever wanted to track my car, I would likely want to move to a supercharged version. For me, the added mechanical complexity with the initial cost and future costs (tires cost about double with the S and last 1/3 as long) made the NA much more attractive. But for everyone, that's a different story. Try both. I'm good with the NA.

I have State Farm and I got a pretty good quote. Granted my car is a MY13 and was purchased new, I'm only 27 and was quoted about $90 a month. I've never had a claim, I have all the discounts possible for the most part, but I didn't even have to shop around for insurance. I would do some research on here about Geico before jumping to them, a few horror stories exist with Lotus cars.

If you're looking at a used MY11, just make sure all warranty items are taken care of prior to purchase. You can look those up in the Evora section of the forum. When you purchase one, you have to post pictures!
are you really serious about cayman not being a driver's car?

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Speaking as someone with both an Evora S and 981 (although the Boxster S version), the Evora is a better handling car. If you get the Evora S, you'll have more power than a Cayman S as well, with similar weights (depending on options). While the Evora is comfortable with an adequate interior, the 981 is more so and its interior fit and finish are better. I'd give style points to the Evora too, but that's personal preference. Gas mileage has been about the same for me, and storage space is about the same.

And put door/boot/hatch latches on top of your list of niggles, and a crappy head unit depending on which model year you buy.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
are you really serious about cayman not being a driver's car?
Since I owned mine for well over a year I can say that statement is wrong. Why is it on all the forums I go onto they have to talk crap about other makes and models? All cars have their good points and bad including Lotus. Just because you own a certain car doesn't make it better than the rest. Its just better for you at this point in YOUR life. As long as you are happy with what you own great! Just don't put others down................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts