The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best way to avoid outgassing to to stop putting stupid cleaning chemicals on the dashboard.
FWIW- I have never put anything on the dash ever... this car has been off gassing for over three years. I've grown really tired of it, especially when I have just a few hours to drive the car and put her back, the last thing I want to be doing is searching for towels, cleaner and cleaning.
Yes, it is that big of a pain- have a few teenagers in your house that never put anything back where you leave it and then tell me that finding your window cleaner is simple.:rolleyes:

That said- I was hoping this would help to seal the dash and prevent the issue. if there's no interest then so be it, just thought I'd toss this out for those of us that want to try to find a solution.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Agreed it is annoying. I never used anything on either my elises dash or my exiges. Its a pain to have to clean the windshield every time you drive the car in hot weather. My elise was 7 years old when I sold it and it still did it. Eventually it should run out of crap to boil off I guess!

If I leave the windows doen in my garage, i dont get the problem. However if I park in the houston sun for a whole workday, it is terrible.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i've had the off-gassing problem since I bought my car back in April. Have you applied the product yet? If you find that this works, I may be willing to give it a try if it doesn't dry out the plastic, etc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought a CF dash years ago from Tony Woo just for this reason. No more off-gassing.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
109 Posts
What amazes me is I have a 1981 Delorean and it out-gasses just as much today as it did 18 years ago when I bought it. You would think it would reach a point that there would be nothing left to out-gas :shrug:

And that windshield it harder to clean than the Exige...

·
Registered
471 Posts
What amazes me is I have a 1981 Delorean and it out-gasses just as much today as it did 18 years ago when I bought it. You would think it would reach a point that there would be nothing left to out-gas :shrug:

And that windshield it harder to clean than the Exige...

That is not offgassing! .... That is residual protonic byproduct from your flux capacitor!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
What amazes me is I have a 1981 Delorean and it out-gasses just as much today as it did 18 years ago when I bought it. You would think it would reach a point that there would be nothing left to out-gas :...
It continues to outgas, because you keep putting armorall on it. Its so funny that people dont make the connection. Outgassing is volatilization, oils version of evaporation. If you keep putting oil on your dashboard.....

If you dont armorall the dash, eventually the plastic will stop outgassing like you said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts