The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title is pretty much self explanatory. Based on my seating position the best placement is about halfway down the length of the binnacle. I have to figure out how far I can recess the Shift-i into the piece without hitting the gauge cluster or whatever else is underneath. I dont want the new shape to be too bulged. Still trying to decide how I want it to look. Time to break out the glass!

Updates to follow.

JP

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Subscribed! I've got one too, and I haven't mounted it yet... looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :up:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have been interested in this too and have considered recessing it in the header panel between the roof and top of windshield or somewhere on the binnacle as shown so that it is either at the top or bottom of my sight line.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spent a lot of time deciding where I wanted to put it. One place that it would be very simple to put is on the flat trim piece between the wheel and the cluster. Only, it kind of blocks some of the indicators and I worried it might be too far below my line of sight.

The only real drawback to where I've chosen to put it is that if my hand is at 12 o'clock it blocks the display. Not really a concern since I typically dont drive like a stiff-armed pimp while I'm on the second cam.

·
Registered
161 Posts
what about mounting it WAAAY forward by the edge of the windscreen? It just needs to be on the edge of your vision. Not sure what it would look like down there.

I got one of these for my track car (BMW E30) and it works great. After having it for only the 2 weekends out there, I can't imagine not having one on the track.

Very interested in stealing any and all good ideas you come up with.

Cheers,
Adam

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
my car has this mounted just like your picture shows. uses the screw mount in the center of the thing, hole drilled through binnacle, looks bad cosmetically but rocks

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is a different approach than I'm taking but it looks like it'll be equally cool. The aim is the same: get that ugly, stand-alone wart off the dash and hide the wires to where it looks like Lotus stuck it there. :)

Your main challenge will be the mid-ribs underneath the cowling. Also, with the Shift-I that far 'back' on the cowling, you may run into clearance issues with the rest of the dash. You may have to pick up a scrap cowling like I did and just make the cut. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can come up with and I'll keep you in the loop on my stuff, too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I haven't seen one of these in person but would it be possible to open it up, reverse the lights and mount it with the curved side resting in the curve of the binnacle? Or maybe the company would do this for you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW!

I busted out the dremel and got to work.

The first pic is the placement I originally envisioned. I wanted to go from there and fiberglass all around it to make it look stock. BUT, I was totally shocked by how good it looked when recessed all the way in (2nd pic). Too bad you can only see five lights completely. IDK, I might just stop there. Gonna have to sleep on it.

The only other issue I foresee from here is that I'm quite sure the unit is going to come into contact with the instrument cluster or its mounting bracket. Based on my "calculations" (looking at pictures, since I haven't touched my car yet) I think I might have to modify the bracket for the cluster to gain clearance. Hopefully not. I'll find out tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't seen one of these in person but would it be possible to open it up, reverse the lights and mount it with the curved side resting in the curve of the binnacle? Or maybe the company would do this for you.
I thought about that exact placement when I was trying to find the best spot. I opened it up. The guts of this thing are pretty solid on a PCB. I wasnt going to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Great Item

I've had mine for over a year now and it is very helpful.

I had the same issues about where to mount it. Tried a little of everything before deciding to put it at the base of the windshield, in the middle of the dash. The whole purpose of getting it was so I wouldn't have to look down at the instrument cluster to pick up the RPMs.

I tend to look ahead when driving and where the I-Shift is now positioned, I can easily pick it up in my peripheral vision. It also minimized the exposed wires, as I ran the wires in the groove between the dash and windshield. YMMV.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Wayne

P.S. Install thread here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/winter-project-2-shift-light-install-53354/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
thats defiantly better looking then mine! good work!

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Is it possible to heat up, soften and depress the areas of the plastic shroud blocking the fist and last LED so they aren't blocked?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
There is another version of the Shift-I. It might fit better on the binnacle.

Here's a pic.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it possible to heat up, soften and depress the areas of the plastic shroud blocking the fist and last LED so they aren't blocked?
I'm liking this idea. I know my soldering iron melts plastic nicely. Maybe I could make two channels with the round barrel of it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wayne,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I could have put the Shift-i up by the windshield, but where's the fun in that?! :D I need a project, a challenge. Plus, this is directly below my line of sight.

As for the shape; I don't think this radius could be more perfect.

JP

·
Registered
161 Posts
its a bit lame, but you could just program the limits of the shift light s0 that only lights 2-6 mattered.

But it looks like you are too intrepid for that. Looks great so far, can't wait to see it in the car.

Adam

1 - 20 of 72 Posts