1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
2,037 Posts
Welcome to LT!

·
2006 Exige
727 Posts
I have an '06 Exige and '04 Disco II as well.

Welcome! What are your plans for the Exige? Are there other problems with it we can't see in the photos, or is it almost ready to roll?

The wheels that were on the Exige in the first pic are very light. How did they get the dents?

·
Registered
2006 Exige
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appeared as though a pothole did the damage, possibly exacerbated by low tire pressure. Overall it is in good shape, it does need a re-spray from sitting and general neglect. It was not running when I acquired it but with a few hours of making necessary checks, changing the oil and filter, replacing the fuel, and a new battery she fired up and runs great.
I still have a long way to go with getting everything sorted but at least I can run it and work on it as time and money allow.

·
Registered
835 Posts
That's how you get to know her! Your time spent wrenching will make your time driving that much more enjoyable!!! For future work, the BOE Clam Hinge or Radium Modular Rear Clamshell Kit make short work of gaining access. I use the Radium Kit and can have the rear clam off in about 30min from start to finish.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Suspension off and more cleaning. Just received a new batch of bits so the work continues. Overall extremely happy with the results so far. Any recommendations for replacement wishbones. One of the front and rear lowers were bent.
Been down this road recently, I’m about done. I would echo the enjoyment of getting to know the car intimately.
re wishbones: get these.

its the only setup that actually tells you the make of high quality bearings. You can trust full transparency...
I personally got the set form Elise parts. When reviewing them I was not happy with the Bering quality. So I purchase the skf units myslef. I spent about $200 to lean that mistake.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ehh, i just realised you were taking about the arms themselfs not the bushings, sry...

·
Registered
2006 Exige
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Work continues. Pulled the radiator, a/c and fan assembly out over the weekend. Next is to dive into the airbox and check the resistor pack, add the drainage holes per the service bulletin, and give the area a good cleaning. The interior is back together for the most part after sourcing the clips for the airbag cover, new access covers, and a new head unit. Now I need to decide what path to take with regards to oil coolers, since the car has a BWR supercharger it is not stock I am considering the BOE kit to relocate the cooler to the rear. I have read about oil coolers ad nauseam and just need to pull the trigger at this point. Other purchase decisions are suspension bushings, radiator and a/c condenser replacement, toe links, and coil-overs.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm in the process of similar work. I found it easy to retrieve the condensate hose by first tying a string to it before removing the hvac module.

Condensate Hose.jpg

My AC Resistor was toast! Are you also replacing the AC Thermostat?

Burnt Resistor Connection.jpg

I went with the ProRad AC Condenser from Inokinetic. During installation, mine did not align the same as original... I had to leave the condenser and rad unbolted from mounts to first attach the two AC lines (with new O-Rings at all fittings) then tighten everything down. Are you also replacing the Air Drier with proper amount of PAG46 Oil?

NAPA AC Drier.jpg

I got loaner Gauges/Vacuum from AutoZone.

AC Gauges.jpg

Recommend also installing silicone rad hoses. My "project" turned into serious project creep! While you're in there, I kept saying... Now could also be the time for SS brake lines and a louder horn... Good Luck!

·
Registered
2006 Exige
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the great information and photos. I did not think about the condensate hose retrieval, great tip. I plan to replace the dryer, resistor pack, and thermostat while I am in there and any missing foam on the air box components. I did notice that the drain holes are in the pan so I don’t have to perform that operation. Project creep is inevitable for me, I think my OCD kicks in high gear on projects like these, hence the wiring wrap. I used Tesa tape for the wire harness wrap.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts