The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just picked up a 2005 Lotus Elise this past weekend and am getting ready to do the 45,000 mile service on it. The dealer did not have any service history on it so I will be replacing all fluids (clutch, brake, coolant, transmission - except oil, that was done before it was picked up), replace air filter, replace accessory belt (anyone know the size for a bone stock 111R, I found two different sizes searching on the board here).

In addition, I will be taking the cover off and inspecting the cam for wear (can I reuse the gasket here or do you usually suggest using a new one).

If there anything else that I should do? Anything I should be aware of before going into this, tips/suggestions?

-Steve

·
Registered
945 Posts
I did the same service when I got my car last year.

Bleeding the coolant after it's refilled is pretty annoying - a vacuum-fill coolant system ("airlift") will help a lot if you have one available to you.

Bleed the clutch before the brakes as it's the most distant extreme of the hydraulic system, then bleed the brakes in the normal order (farthest from cylinder to closest).

Transmission is easy as can be and the air filter is fiddly but straightforward as well. Be sure you have the filter lined up the right way or you'll spend a long time wondering why your airbox won't close.

I inspected my belt and opted to keep the stock one. The belt code is 060663 - options all the way from the $20 range to a $70 super-fancy Gates belt that people seem to like (check out this post http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2618450-post3.html). The tensioner is the silly "fake bolt" kind and they strip or break easily, so use a good 19mm 6-point socket and turn carefully.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Check the toe links.

Check for signs of leaks around the oil cooler(s).

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Check to see if your car had its oil line fittings replaced as per the Lotus recall.

If your Lotus tech is really getting in there you should consider replacing the thermostat. It's hard to reach and a PITA to do on your own.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the same service when I got my car last year.

Bleeding the coolant after it's refilled is pretty annoying - a vacuum-fill coolant system ("airlift") will help a lot if you have one available to you.

Bleed the clutch before the brakes as it's the most distant extreme of the hydraulic system, then bleed the brakes in the normal order (farthest from cylinder to closest).

Transmission is easy as can be and the air filter is fiddly but straightforward as well. Be sure you have the filter lined up the right way or you'll spend a long time wondering why your airbox won't close.

I inspected my belt and opted to keep the stock one. The belt code is 060663 - options all the way from the $20 range to a $70 super-fancy Gates belt that people seem to like (check out this post http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2618450-post3.html). The tensioner is the silly "fake bolt" kind and they strip or break easily, so use a good 19mm 6-point socket and turn carefully.
Thanks for the suggestion around the Airlift, I will probably pick one up to save myself the headache, should also be helpful with my other cars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check to see if your car had its oil line fittings replaced as per the Lotus recall.

If your Lotus tech is really getting in there you should consider replacing the thermostat. It's hard to reach and a PITA to do on your own.
I will be doing just about all of the work myself. As far as replacing the thermostat, I drove the car a bit this past weekend with temps in the 40-50 range. The car never went above 186F, does that sound about right?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I will be doing just about all of the work myself. As far as replacing the thermostat, I drove the car a bit this past weekend with temps in the 40-50 range. The car never went above 186F, does that sound about right?
That's spot-on. I personally don't see a reason to change the thermostat 'just because'.

If you're doing your own oil line recall work, chat with me over on FB and I will walk you through it.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
That sounds about normal for temp. I only mention the thermostat because I'd expect it to be near the end of its reliable life if it hasn't already been replaced, and if you're changing coolant and digging around in there you might want to tackle it. (I decided to farm mine out to a Lotus tech when it went bad at about 24K. I combined it with some other work because it really is a PITA.)

I didn't hear about your oil line recall status, but all 2005s are affected and that one is covered by Lotus as free. Loosing the oil line is of course a potential disaster.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Check for the ziptie mod on the u pipe down by the oil filter, sorry I don't know how to describe that better. You should also torque all the suspension bits.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I did a full service to the car last weekend.

Inspected cam (light scratches but nothing caught the fingernail, car has 45K+ on it so I am not too worried, or should I be?)
Replaced Lift Cam bolts
Replaced Spark Plugs
Replaced Accessory Belt
Replaced Air Filter
Replaced Coolant
Bleed Brakes/Clutch
Replaced Transmission Oil
Checked Rear Toe Link Torque

My question comes around the brake fluid reservoir. When bleeding the clutch and the brakes it seems that only the right side was being emptied. I know that the reservoir is baffled but it looks as if nothing from the other side was being removed. The right side shows clearer (I know I need to do this again as all of the old fluid was not removed, it was quite dark). My question is, is this normal? I am going to get a pressure bleeder and do this again, is the trick to just keep on adding and removing fluid and eventually the left side will be replaced by good fluid?

Water Tire Vehicle Auto part Car

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
As part of my yearly PMs I get my torque wrench out and check torque on all suspension nuts and bolts including calipers. I go through all the front and back hardware. Take notes on any hardware that you find loose. If it comes up loose again next year just go ahead and replace the hardware. If your rear toe links come up loose I would recommend replacing them with an upgraded unit. If you search the site there is a nice group of pictures that show each nut and bolt and gives the torque spec for each piece. Have fun with the car!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I hooked up a pressure bleeder to just keep bleeding and bleeding and bleeding.

Here are the results of what came out. Looks as if the previous owner never changed the fluid. :facepalm

Canning Plastic

Edit: Don't know why it came in upside down, but you can see the color.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Off topic, but sure!

Here is my car that was featured in an online article.

Unearthed: 1981 DeLorean DMC-12

Since then, I have done alot of upgrades, but not visual ones (different radio, lowered the front, powder coated engine and some other stuff). I really am over due for taking more recent photos. These are over 3 years old.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Off topic, but sure!

Here is my car that was featured in an online article.

Unearthed: 1981 DeLorean DMC-12

Since then, I have done alot of upgrades, but not visual ones (different radio, lowered the front, powder coated engine and some other stuff). I really am over due for taking more recent photos. These are over 3 years old.
Cool. Nice to see how well the stainless steel has held up. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back on Lotus topic. I put a rubber hose over the U-pipe in the engine bay as it was starting to wear through. I saw the fix on another thread. Any idea what that piece is actually for?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts