The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard abot Dragons Ridge Motorsports Park, a "racing country club," which just received approval from New Kent County, VA to build! This is about 20 minutes east of Richmond, VA, probably 110 miles from the bottom of the D.C. beltway. It will have a road course, garages, condos, homes, and a clubhouse. This sounds fantastic! Does anyone know any more info? Their website is temporarily down.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sounds great, though I'm not sure I would want to live on a racetrack with 100-plus dB going all the time. A few hours is great, but it would get old fast

·
Registered
413 Posts
I called their 800# twice last year, after they had mailed me their information packet, and I never received a reply. It takes a lot of funding to build a track, but I'm glad to hear the approval went thru- means they're still working on it.

VIR was the first "Motorsports Country Club" concept. There are a few others in the states and a beautiful 3.3 mile "resort" track just opened in Southern Spain.

As for another Mid-Atlantic track, Summit Point: they are nearing completion of their 3rd course, the 2.2 mile Shenandoah Circuit. I was there last Sunday and pavement is down but lots of other work needs to be done. Should open sometime this Summer, I would guess. (It was slated to open last year.)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Good News !!

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch...

New Kent Supervisors Approve Motor-Sports Park
Richmond Times-Dispatch Jun 8, 2004

New Kent County supervisors gave the green light for a 616-acre motor-sports park in the eastern part of the county with a 3-2 vote Monday night.

Plans for DragonsRidge Motorsports Park include a 2.95-mile track for sports cars and motorcycles and a 1-mile track for go-karts that could be used year-round for private and public events within 2 miles of the Interstate 64 and state Route 33 interchange.

The developer, Dominion Land Ventures LLC of Hampton, also proposes retail, office and resort development, including a conference center, museum, racing school and miniature golf as part of the seven-phase, $54 million development. The track could open as early as March 2006, Jeff Booth, general manager of DragonsRidge, said.

After the board's decision, about 100 people left the supervisors' meeting room in protest. Opponents, dozens of whom spoke at a public hearing June 1, said the tracks would ruin life for residents of the rural area with nonstop noise and traffic.

(FYI- Summit Pt. had the same type of local protests when obtaining approval for its third track, the Shenandoah Circuit, slated to open late, late Summer or early Fall. -HS)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That's great news! I can't wait for the track to open. By that time I should have my CO Exige! As to the people that live in New Kent county, they need to get over it. New Kent needs something like this before it withers and dies. Also, there is more road noise from Interstate-64. These people just don't understand, nor do they want to.

I can speak to this, because my father-in-law is the postmaster for the New Kent PO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts