The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a cone pretty hard at Pacific Raceways a while back (entrance to 5a), and since I already had a little damage on that side (passenger), I decided to go ahead with an idea I've been toying with for a while... thought I would share pics of the process and result for your reading enjoyment:

First, a shot of the damage and pulling off the starshield:
P1010022.JPG

P1010023.JPG

Pulling the starsheild off by hand was pretty slow, hard work. I suggest using a pair of nitrile gloves, which protect your hands and provide some needed grip for pulling. I used 3M adhesive remover (Xylene, Benzene and other known carcinogens!) to get the residue off. It works great, just spray and wait about 5 minutes and it rolls right off. Be sure and have plenty of clean, soft rags on hand.

More pics to follow...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used SKS Stone Guard (usually used for wheel wells and under-coating) for the coating. My hope is that track goo won't show as much and if (when) I damage that area again, it will be easier to repair and re-finish than starshield and paint.

Cheers,
LP

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Jesterbot! I'm really happy with how it turned out. First time I've applied anything but road grime to any car :).

Now to see how it wears and stands up to the track. Should get the skirts back on this weekend!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
seems very permanent. I'd rather just replace the PPF once every few years. But congrats for trying something different.
Reminds me of the early days of this board when a guy Rhino lined the lower half of his Elise.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seems very permanent. I'd rather just replace the PPF once every few years. But congrats for trying something different.
Reminds me of the early days of this board when a guy Rhino lined the lower half of his Elise.
Yeah, I struggled with the permanence thing too... but I hate driving around with quarter-sized dings, and having to re-paint seemed such a hassle.

Time will tell!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Time...

how is this wearing? I've done a very very similar bit of damage and am thinking of repainting/reapplying the ppf, but like the idea of the protective grime-proof coating. Also, did you wrap the paint into the wheel wells?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, here we are in 2010 and I can say, it looks like the day I sprayed it on. I couldn't be happier with it... most folks either don't notice it at all, or like the way it looks.

Cleanup after track days is a WHOLE lot easier too :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Reviving an old thread. My Elise in the body shop to get some stone chips in the nose and a scraped chin repaired. I was asking the shop about ways to make the nose more chip resistant and he said he could do a process like this to the nose (below the seam) and if I understand correctly mix the color in with the rock guard material (as opposed to painting over it).

Has anyone heard of that or have any thoughts? I'm trying to picture the nose with a rough surface and decide if I would like it.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, here we are in 2010 and I can say, it looks like the day I sprayed it on. I couldn't be happier with it... most folks either don't notice it at all, or like the way it looks.

Cleanup after track days is a WHOLE lot easier too :)
Looks great. How is waxing it? I have enough issues keep wax off the louvers.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Sorry, I'm not a big fan of this solution. It's kind of like keeping plastic covers on your nice couch, except that can't take the covers off when you have company over.

Why mess up the paint on the rocker panel in order to keep it from getting messed up? I guess if you like the look of the black paint, that's a different story. I will say that you did a very good job on it. It looks very professional and I supposed it is just a matter of taste.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Reviving an old thread. My Elise in the body shop to get some stone chips in the nose and a scraped chin repaired. I was asking the shop about ways to make the nose more chip resistant and he said he could do a process like this to the nose (below the seam) and if I understand correctly mix the color in with the rock guard material (as opposed to painting over it).

Has anyone heard of that or have any thoughts? I'm trying to picture the nose with a rough surface and decide if I would like it.

Thanks,
Todd
Todd,

I have not had personal experience with it but one of my local body shop owners was telling me about a product they use which is similar to what you are describing. He wanted to spray the rear of my Seven with it (where it gets beat to crap from stones) and said that it would be color matched to the paint. I've known him for years and this was just during one of our regular conversations. The downside, he said, was that it has a slightly rough texture and didn't clear coat well at all, so it would be visible as a matte area, although color matched, from 0' to 50' away. Hence, no personal experience with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts

Thanks,
Todd
I've never had it done aftermarket, but Miata's have a similar system on the rocker panels from the factory. At least the NA and NB generations did - I don't specifically remember if the current (NC) generation does. Worked well on the Miatas and you didn't notice it on such a low surface unless you looked for it. I'm not sure about doing it all the way up the rear fender though...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I recall a thread about a paint protectant that you can paint on with a roller. It was transparent unlike the stuff RoadDad describes, but also had a rough texture. The plus side was that it peeled off. I can't seem to find the thread again. Anybody else remember it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts