The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this seem right? I dropped my Elise off at Newport European today and they said I needed new Rear brake rotors. Does this seem right for 30 k miles? Should they have worn before my fronts?

They can't resurface them, as they're too far below spec I was told. I was just there 3 months ago, would they not have caught it then?

What aspect of my driving could have caused this? I have only been to a couple auto crosses, and mainly uses this as a commuter.

If this seems right, let me know, I'm not a huge car buff, I just like to drive em. Some of my friends think it's ok, some of them are blown away.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Does this seem right? I dropped my Elise off at Newport European today and they said I needed new Rear brake rotors. Does this seem right for 30 k miles? Should they have worn before my fronts?

They can't resurface them, as they're too far below spec I was told. I was just there 3 months ago, would they not have caught it then?

What aspect of my driving could have caused this? I have only been to a couple auto crosses, and mainly uses this as a commuter.

If this seems right, let me know, I'm not a huge car buff, I just like to drive em. Some of my friends think it's ok, some of them are blown away.
Don't replace them with the stock rotors. Sector111 has a lightweight set with the proper anulus width. Stockers are WAY too heavy and costly.:eek:
On the other hand I'm pretty sure you can find a set of stock rotors on the used parts forum. Mucho cheaper. I was ready to toss mine in the trash and eventually sold them there.
What year is the car? Does it have traction control or stability management?
If it's an 05 then it really is a mystery unless you drove the car around town with the e-brake set..:huh:

·
Registered
417 Posts
What intervals were the pads replaced?
HAVE YOU DONE THE REPLACEMENT OF THE FRONT PADS? I HAVE 32000 MILES ON MY ELISE.....BEEN TRACKED AND A LOT OF STREET. I HAVE ONLY REPLACE MY FRONT PADS ONCE THE FRONT ROTORS WERE O.K..

THE REARS ARE BOTH O.K. PADS AND ROTOR, FOR THE BACK NEEDING NEW ROTORS.......?? I WOULD GET A 2nd REVIEW

·
Registered
975 Posts
my fronts were spent at 30k and i did all 4, putting on the "the group buy slotted rotor/aluminum hat" setup. saved 10lbs unsprung and they work great.

·
Banned
874 Posts

If you changed ur rear pads too late that may have caused your rotors to go bad.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Rotors on my Elise were replaced at 14k, but that was because the Ferrari dealership I bought it from replaced the pads (for free), and then couldn't seem to get rid of a subsequent squeal. I took it back a few times, complaining, till finally they replaced the rotors (for free). The strange thing is, the brakes still squealed for a couple of weeks. Then they were fine. No problems since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts