The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This kit is designed to make the removal of the 2005+ Lotus Elise rear clamshell quick and easy. The contents of this kit when combined with a few modifications listed in the manual, makes the clamshell removal in less than 10 minutes.

With the clamshell off, engine service is performed easily, reducing the labor costs for repair work.

For more information, click here

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Me like

Me just paid for it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is it possible to see the instructions on the website? Very tempting, just want to see what kind of work is involved. I really want this :drool:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is it possible to see the instructions on the website? Very tempting, just want to see what kind of work is involved. I really want this :drool:
+1 Instructions would be nice. That way we can also see what needs to be cut/modified/changed.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Ditto...this may be on my short purchase list...

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
will it work with exige? I realize there would likely be additional steps (such as disconnecting intercooler bellow)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
At that price, it sure beats $1000 for a clam hinge!
Except you have to have a place to store the clam.

In the case of the clam hinge it is much easier to quickly work on the car IMHO since you don't have to have a friend help you move the clam off the car and find a place to store it.

However you can't beat this price!

Radium... Are you considering an option for a hinge of sorts so it can be a one man operation and not have to have additional storage space for the clam?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all the interest!
Will try to address all questions:
-We are not working on any further iteration of this product. We find it to work very well for us, and thought we would offer it as a product so that other people can have the benefit of a removable clamshell. Yes, you need a place to put it. We carry around a set of furniture sliders and put one at each ground-touching corner of the clamshell, that way we can set it anywhere and not damage the fiberglass or the paint.

-We do not plan on making a video at this time.

-The exige rear clamshell is held on differently than the Elise clamshell, and as a results, some parts in the kit would not apply. There is an excellent write up on removing the Exige clamshell right here on Lotus Talk that can be reviewed.

-To get a good idea of what is involved in the process, it can be summed up like this:
1. 2-4 hour process of removing the clamshell initially. Seats, battery, speaker panel, rear diffuser, fener liners, etc must all be removed.
2. 1/2 hour of modifications that includes bolting on the hinge brace, mounting the spacer pads with drilled holes, and a few other misc small tasks.
3. Reinstalling the clamshell and only fastening in place with key fasteners denoted in the install instructions.

Once everything is in place the procedure for removing the clam is:
-Remove hard/soft top
-Remove battery and push cables through access hole inside of trunk
-Remove 10 body fasteners (all easy to get to)
-Remove all 9 fasteners across back edge of diffuser
-Remove rear-most fender liner push-rivets
-Disconnect tail light harness and push through access hole in trunk
Thats it!

Our instruction manual also has tips that can speed the process even more, such as:
-relocate the battery out of the trunk
-cut rear section of fender liners off
-Use 1/4-turn fasteners along back edge of diffuser
-etc

Feel free to contact us with any questions.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
now that I have taken the clam off a few ...

hundred times........the biggest pain in the ass are the seats and the interior panel.......the rest is easy............the fact that this kit eliminates that part....had me sold..........

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I know you said that the Exige is held on differently and some parts would not be used. Should I interpret that as "Yes, this will work on an Exige"? i'm quite interested.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
My Elise uses 3 body spacers marked (and measures) 7mm and one marked/measures 9mm. What are the dimensions of the aluminum spacers in the kit?

Glen

1 - 20 of 140 Posts