The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We received some new 111R shift knobs from ReVerie. Man are they tasty! Simple screw-on install. No tools required. Available in carbon fiber and silver texalium. $189.99 each. Thx to Randy for the test fit!

Bigger pix HERE

·
Registered
866 Posts
NO offense, but there are many different carbon fiber shift knobs for different cars, and none of them even cost half of what you are asking for them. It is a metal ball, and that costs 200 dollars? While I support many of the products that are under development, 200 dollars for a piece like that is more than a little steep.

See the following:

http://store.vividracing.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=shift+knobs&osCsid=fb30a42eec181e578319455dc7362423&x=0&y=0

Lancer evolution shift knob by ralliart, 89 dollars.

http://store.vividracing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=41_184_190_228&osCsid=fb30a42eec181e578319455dc7362423

WRX carbon fiber, 79 dollars.

http://store.vividracing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_5_45_113&osCsid=fb30a42eec181e578319455dc7362423

Audi rubber/aluminum multitextured shift knob with display, 85 dollars.

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/shift_knobs.html

The cost of a smiliar product on a Lotus which is a rare brand....

PRICELESS:rolleyes:

I really do hope that this is some kind of jest, 189 dollars for a threaded metal ball that fits a Celica is just silly. For that matter a Celica shift knob costs... 85 dollars and is more complicated

http://www.twmperformance.com/

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I think what your seeing here is a very limited small sale potential item that is further handicapped by a bad Euro/Us Dollar conversion and Importation/shipping expenses. If these products were developed here or by a major manufacturer you would pay considerably less.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mean TT said:
NO offense, but there are many different carbon fiber shift knobs for different cars, and none of them even cost half of what you are asking for them. It is a metal ball, and that costs 200 dollars? While I support many of the products that are under development, 200 dollars for a piece like that is more than a little steep.
No offense taken. ;)

You list plenty of examples but none of the carbon fiber versions fit the Elise. Keep in mind the small volume of our car. ReVerie shift knobs are hand made with the best materials so they tend to be a bit more expensive...kinda like the Elise. Comparing the cost of aluminum knobs to CF is not really fair.

You should price the CF shift knobs from Porsche if ya really want to freak...:rolleyes:

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
just be careful when you park without a top. I'm sure someone will steal that sh*t in a flash.

I like it and will probably (90%) buy one....after saving for 8 months. LOL

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Carbon fibre shift knob for Porsche tend to cost around $800.00 at msrp at the dealer. And very heavy...
What is the weight comparison between stock Lotus and your C/F knob Shinoo? As I recall the C/F knob was feather light. Has the threaded metal base added much weight. I thought the one you had in Tahoe was C/F only..
I can vouch for Shinoo here if you want cheap mass produced junk don't look here... Call your Toyota "TRD" dealer.. sounds too much like turd to me...

·
Registered
866 Posts
shinoo said:
No offense taken. ;)

You list plenty of examples but none of the carbon fiber versions fit the Elise. Keep in mind the small volume of our car. ReVerie shift knobs are hand made with the best materials so they tend to be a bit more expensive...kinda like the Elise. Comparing the cost of aluminum knobs to CF is not really fair.

You should price the CF shift knobs from Porsche if ya really want to freak...:rolleyes:
My only point was that there are carbon fiber knobs, and they cost 85 dollars. Therefore, the cost is not the carbon fiber. Also, the fint and engineering is not a the cpost either, as the TRD and other aftermarket products that fit the Celica cost 80 dollars as well. In addition, there is really not a lot of development cost as these parts are screw in, and do not have any lighted display and are not multitextured. Therefore, I believe the cost is related to the fact that the car that it is for, and Elise is rare and expensive. This however does not mean that all products for the Elise are Rare and Expensive. Even if they are rare, their engineering is not, as celica parts are interchangable in most cases.

While it is true that porsche and some BMW parts are expensive, that is hardly a fair comparison. For example, a side sill plate that probably cost 25 dollars to produce is listed for 1300 dollars.

http://store.vividracing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=38_793_1202&osCsid=fb30a42eec181e578319455dc7362423

In my opinion, it is a value comparision. I see very little value in a personalized 200 dolalrs shift knob, that is a round ball. The only benifit is not weight, but rather that it will not get burning hot in the sunlight. Of course this asset has not been evaluated, and it is black, so this attribute may not even be a reality.

I think that the biggest aftermarket products will be wieght saving options, and engine products. To date, there has been no development mentioned on the exhaust, and no dyno plots posted. I have already contacted three companies any of whom I feel comfortable doing business with who I am speaking with for product development and engine tuning. All of them are well known, and respected. If they agree to develop parts, you can believe that they will be performance oriented and the ubiquitous "bling bling" will not be sold, let alone at a painfully high profit margin.

I think I should look into getting into the Lotus tuning market!:D

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mean TT said:
I think I should look into getting into the Lotus tuning market!:D
Please write a business plan first (like I have). You will be shocked at the lack of 'a painfully high profit margin'. It does not exist for ANY parts sold into this miniscule marketplace.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Actually, I am thankful to Shinoo and Sector 111 for the Elise support that they are giving us. I am sure that over time, they will be adding more products as the market dictates. It's good for us to voice what we would like to have and it is up to Sector 111 to try to fulfill those needs, within reason. I plan on supporting Sector 111 whenever I'm able. Thanks Shinoo and hang in there.

·
Registered
866 Posts
shinoo said:
Please write a business plan first (like I have). You will be shocked at the lack of 'a painfully high profit margin'. It does not exist for ANY parts sold into this miniscule marketplace.

I was mostly kidding I hope I didn't make you angry. Although I have contacted severl comapies, none have confirmed with me that they will agree to work with me.

Personally I wish you the very best with your business and your business plan. I think that from a customer standpoint, the more companies we have developing new products, the better.

I guess my main complaint is that inherently, in a growing business you will count in a cash flow to help to develop new products. I think that most Lotus owners want function over fashion. The car itself is enough of a fashion statement!:D I went to a car show today and although I was too late to enter my car in the judging, it was surrounded all day by interested people. I had to walk away so that I could stop answring questions about it. I think that the products that people would be interested in are

1. A plastic or sticker-like piece for protection from low driveways.

2. A pocket or additional place for storage.

3. An audio system that was already pre fabed and tested for installment in the car as they factory options are embaressing.

4. Striping- either in kits that could be professionally installed, or some regional installers that you prefer.

5. Power- NA or FI, and only with dyno plots. No silly claims, and a warrenty would be wonderful.

6. The unbiqitious "bling."
a. carbon fiber vents
b. A new plastic gear cover
c. Shift knobs, Buttons
d. Seats

7. Weight- light weight batteries, light wheels, and other assorted products.

8. HID kits, or at least better lighting. Since the factory driving lights are not here, and onyl work with the high beams, something for low beams would be nice. Many states allow 4 driving lights at one time, so two additional lights wouldn't be problem.

This list is for all potential vendors-all of them. They are things I am interested in. Hopefuly that will help. I just don't want to see the next product being for the parking brake, and being carbon fiber.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm surprised anyone is able to make a business of Elise parts.. Hats off to Shinoo for making the numbers work out.

Custom aftermarket products for a car that expects to move 2200 into the US A Year?

Shyeahh..

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yep,
those who think a fortune is to be made selling aftermarket for the elise, talk to the companies in UK that have been doing it.

I'm glad shinoo's on the scene. Plan to buy from him as items I like/need come on the market.

At this stage of the elise market in the US, we're still in the situation of relying on UK production, consequently with the p-poor performance of the dollar (and no hope of improvement anytime soon) we're at a strong disadvantage to buying any UK or euro made stuff.

I really do like all the people coming forward complaining about price, if you dont like the item and/or price don't buy it, couldn't be simpler.

Wait, next year JC Whitney will have a full line of Elise goodies for sale!!:D

Chris

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
zvezdah1 said:

Wait, next year JC Whitney will have a full line of Elise goodies for sale!!:D
Now THAT's quality stuff!

Kudos to Shinoo for taking on the task of developing stuff for the Elise. I don't think he'll be getting rich on any of it.

The shift knob isn't for me, but I'm always happy to see new products.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mean TT said:
Although I have contacted severl comapies, none have confirmed with me that they will agree to work with me.
Not to mention that they are way behind on their produciton schedual as well....:(

Perhaps they haven't responded b/c in your letters to them, you used words like "schedual."

Hehe, just kidding.

And I tip my hat to shinoo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts