The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of a new '08 S240 yesterday :), can't wait for break-in to be done, blah blah blah, but I have a few quick questions:

1) How do you adjust instrument panel brightness? According to the owners manual, you press and hold the button near the ignition switch, and it scrolls through the brightness range, and you let go at the desired setting. But that doesn't work (nothing happens when I press-and-hold, headlights on or off either way). The button does work, one short push zero's the trip meter as per the manual, but push-and-hold seems to do nothing.

2) There is a loose wire pair behind the battery, one green wire, one black, with a connector on the end (loose as in, not plugged into anything). I looked and could see no obvious mate. The tail lights all work, wiring appears complete (comparing left and right tail lights), and everything seems to work (well, except #1 above, but hard to imagine it could be related given the location). I've only traced the wire pair back to the engine compartment. Anyone know the story on this?

3) I received no written instructions on use of "The Knob" (the variable traction control knob on the steering column) or on launch control. Do written instructions from Lotus exist somewhere? There is no mention in the owners manual, and there was no supplement provided to cover it. Which way do you turn the knob to decrease TC intervention level, CC or CCW? And does it really need 30 click-stops?! Not that I'll be using it anytime soon, but how do you use the LC? Do you need to do anything to engage it, like turning off TC?

4) Is the battery cover always a PITA to install? The dealer had to put in a replacement battery, which they claimed was an exact stock-sized replacement, and it fits the hold-downs correctly, but getting the battery cover completely on seems impossible. It was "mostly on" when I took delivery, but removal and installation seems way too hard. My immediate solution is to leave the cover on a shelf in my garage.

Sorry if I missed answers somewhere here, I did a quick search (maybe too quick?) and found tons of useful info, but came up empty on these particular questions.

TIA, -Ed

·
Registered
440 Posts
1) Try it is again?... mine works fine.

2) Have them too... don't know what they are for... :shrug:

3) CW to 0 turns off the TC
CCW alll they way - max TC

4) Yes, it is PITA so I took them off and never put it back on again. :shrug:

Sorry my answers to your questions don't really answer them and I've been 240 owner for 3 months... :panic:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, actually that helps a lot. So I take it you didn't get any written instructions on the variable TC/LC system either? Seems like there should be an owners manual supplement, like the one on the sport suspension setup, but that's the only supplement I got.

-Ed

·
Registered
440 Posts
I couldn't pass reading the page 4 of the manual.... ;)
I look up when I need it... so... oh well.
Have fun with S240! glad to see some new S240 owners.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is no documentation on the adjustable suspension either. The manual refers to another document. Oh well I'm at 635 now, just 365 more to go. :D

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
1.)I couldnt tell ya. Ive never gotten mine to work either.

2.) Never seen those before

3.)I dont have that:( Me=Jealous

4.) I figured out if you punch it really hard. it stays. So thats where i left it. :lol:

So did austin powers finally move over to the real British car (Lotus) from his shaguiar.

There is no documentation on the adjustable suspension either. The manual refers to another document. Oh well I'm at 635 now, just 365 more to go. :D

I believe this is the same for Exige S 07 as well.

The shocks are adjustable by a blue turn knob at the bottom of the shocks. Settings go from 1-10. You simply turn it to the setting.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the one thing I did get a supplement on. If you want a copy, send me a PM, and I'll scan and eMail a copy to you.

BTW, on my first "shopping" trip to the dealer, one car on the floor had a supplement (in the trunk) that talked about the upgraded brakes, which included instructions for bedding in new pads and discs, but I didn't get that either. Anyone have a copy? I have to give my sales guy a call.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's the one thing I did get a supplement on. If you want a copy, send me a PM, and I'll scan and eMail a copy to you.

BTW, on my first "shopping" trip to the dealer, one car on the floor had a supplement (in the trunk) that talked about the upgraded brakes, which included instructions for bedding in new pads and discs, but I didn't get that either. Anyone have a copy? I have to give my sales guy a call.
I did get the brake bedding procedure supplement. We'll trade! I'll scan it Monday.
The shocks are adjustable by a blue turn knob at the bottom of the shocks. Settings go from 1-10. You simply turn it to the setting.
What is the index? Is there a mark?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did get the brake bedding procedure supplement. We'll trade! I'll scan it Monday.
It's a deal. And yes, there is a mark, but I find it's easiest to turn it to one end (it'll turn slightly past the first, or last, click stop), then count the clicks and stop where you want it. Less contortions that way, since you don't have to watch while you turn. The supplement recommends 3/2 (f/r) for the street, 8/7 for the track. It also has alignment recommendations.

-Ed

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's a deal. And yes, there is a mark, but I find it's easiest to turn it to one end (it'll turn slightly past the first, or last, click stop), then count the clicks and stop where you want it. Less contortions that way, since you don't have to watch while you turn. The supplement recommends 3/2 (f/r) for the street, 8/7 for the track. It also has alignment recommendations.

-Ed

Great now I know who to ask when I need a copy... LOL
Just wait until the first oil change. once you are borken in, you will appreciate the car more but sad to see the gas price going up.
I just can't stay under 5k rpm, especially after Arqray was installed.
Now I need earplugs... :panic:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Dimming the guages on the '08

Okay Guys - for those of you still stuck on this one (as I was too!), and if you did a search (J/K - Just doing my Ace10 impression here! rotfl) - you can see my previous post specifically on this subject HERE.

For your Brake Bed-In Procedure, I've attached a scan of that suppliment for you below.

As far as your #2:
2) There is a loose wire pair behind the battery, one green wire, one black, with a connector on the end (loose as in, not plugged into anything). I looked and could see no obvious mate. The tail lights all work, wiring appears complete (comparing left and right tail lights), and everything seems to work (well, except #1 above, but hard to imagine it could be related given the location). I've only traced the wire pair back to the engine compartment. Anyone know the story on this?
That is for your battery minder/charger accessory. My dealer (S&S) provided one to me with the car. Sounds like yours is pre-wired for it, and if not provided, I would still reccomend picking one up. These little batteries really hate to sit for any extended period of time without at least a trickle charge being applied to them, that this pre-wired accessory does for you.

Congrats again on the new car!

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
-Grant

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks Grant, that helps a lot!

For those that need it, I'm attaching the Lotus doc on the "Super Sport Suspension Package":

View attachment super_sport_susp.pdf

Now if I could just locate a similar doc on the vTC/LC...

Edit: such a doc does exist, at least based on this quote in an online review I found:

"The variable launch control feature is designed for competition use and as such its employment will invalidate vehicle warranty on any components subject to the extreme loads associated with racing starts.

That was the message written in bold type on three A4 pages of instructions on how to program variable traction and launch control."

Somebody must have those 3 pages....

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
2008 Launch & Traction Control from the service manual:

VARIABLE TRACTION & LAUNCH CONTROL (IF FITTED)
Exige S models specified with the ‘Performance Pack’ option, include variable Lotus Traction Control
(LTC), allied with Variable Launch Control (see below) and have a rotary control knob mounted on the left hand
side of the steering column shroud.
Each time the ignition is turned on, normal full LTC is activated. To enable variable traction control, turn
on the ignition and hold the LTC ‘off’ button pressed for 2 seconds. Check that the tell tale in the switch button
is lit. Start the engine. Note that if the ignition is switched off (e.g. prior to a second start attempt), the above
procedure must be repeated in sequence.
With the switch button tell tale lit and the engine running, the rotary knob may then be used to select the
degree of traction control desired, with the setting shown on the instrument panel LCD in the form ‘#% SLIP’, with
a possible range between 0 and 9%. The display will revert to showing the fuel level after a few seconds.
• For maximum traction control (0% slip) turn the knob fully counterclockwise to ‘MAX’.
• To reduce traction control (to allow up to 9% slip), turn the knob progressively clockwise.
• Fully clockwise (‘0’), traction control is disabled, as indicated by the lighting of the instrument panel tell
tale, and an LCD message of ‘LTC OFF’.
If at any time during that ignition cycle, the control knob is turned, the LCD will again show the traction
control setting for a few seconds.
When the ignition is next turned on, normal full LTC will be activated unless the above procedure is repeated.
Variable Launch Control
CAUTION: This feature is designed for competition use, and as such, its employment will invalidate
vehicle warranty on any components subject to the extreme loads associated with racing starts.
Variable Launch Control allows the engine rpm to be limited during a competition start in order to balance
engine power against available grip and provide a controlled degree of wheelspin for the first moment of acceleration,
until superseded by the traction control system at around 6 mph.
To enable this feature, turn on the ignition and hold the LTC ‘off’ button pressed for 2 seconds. Check that
the tell tale in the switch button is lit. Then;
• With ignition on, engine stopped, fully depress the throttle pedal for 5 seconds.
• Tacho will now show launch rpm. Turn the rotary knob as necessary to select any desired launch rpm
between 2000 and 8000.
• Release throttle and start engine.
• Turn the rotary knob to select the desired level of traction control (see above), noting that the launch control
setting will not be affected.
• Engage first gear, apply full throttle (ECU limits engine speed to selected launch rpm), and rapidly ‘drop’
clutch.
• Maintain full throttle throughout the transition from launch to traction control (at around 6 mph) until the
first gear change is required.
• To disable launch control when variable traction control is still required, reset launch rpm to 8,000.
NOTE
• Do not attempt to slip the clutch during this process, as overheating or damage to the clutch mechanism
may occur. An instant clutch engagement is required to ‘break’ rear tyre traction and initiate wheelspin.
Note that an hydraulic damper valve is incorporated into the clutch release pipework to protect the driveline
from excessive shock loading when using this technique.
• Do not attempt LC starts in any gear other than first.
• Do not hold the engine at or near maximum rpm for more than a few seconds.
• Under no circumstances should this track feature be employed on the public road.
• Use of Launch Control is an ultimate technique designed to produce the fastest possible race start.
Always allow the clutch to cool and recover before repeating a launch controlled start. The extreme
loads associated with such starts will result in reduced transmission component life cycles.
• At the next key-on, the system will default to full LTC and Launch Control off. Turning on the ignition and
holding the LTC 'off' button pressed for 2 seconds will restore the previous traction and launch settings.
Adjustment Tips
Note that the optimum settings for variable traction and launch control will differ for each set of track surface,
tyre and ambient conditions. A suggested adjustment logic follows:
• Set the traction control to a mid position.
• Start with a low launch rpm e.g. 4,000 rpm.
• Trial launch and assess initial wheelspin control and transition into traction control.
• If launch control is set too low, the engine may ‘bog down’ and fall out of the power band. If set too high,
too much initial wheelspin may result, with poor step off from the line.
• Similar logic applies to traction control adjustment when this system takes over above about 6 mph.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Excellent, thank you! That reminds me, I meant to order a service manual from the dealer, I'll have to do that next time I'm there.

PS: that makes 4 for 4 on my questions getting answered, it doesn't get better than that!

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
As far as your #2:

That is for your battery minder/charger accessory. My dealer (S&S) provided one to me with the car. Sounds like yours is pre-wired for it, and if not provided, I would still reccomend picking one up. These little batteries really hate to sit for any extended period of time without at least a trickle charge being applied to them, that this pre-wired accessory does for you.
That green/black wire with connector is not a pre-wired battery minder connector. Please don't hook one up to it and expect your battery to be charged/conditioned for the next several months.

It is the wiring for the Elise 3rd brake light (the high one above the rear window in the Elise) which is obviously unused in the Exige. The Elise has an unused wire w/ connector at the back of the boot that corresponds to the Exige 3rd brake light wire at the back of the clam. Both cars share the same harnessing/wiring for the brake lights and as such there is one unused connector in each car.

FWIW, my stock Exide battery has not had a problem with loss of charge with several weeks of non-use at a time, however, a battery minder/tender is a good idea. A trickle charger is not.

Cheers,
RD

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks RD, that makes sense. I plan to use my Sears battery charger in the winter (direct to the battery), it has a "maintenance" mode that worked fine on a former car.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The index is the front of the shock. Facing you.

It clicks when it turns. So you know where its at.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The index is the front of the shock. Facing you.

It clicks when it turns. So you know where its at.

I've found that for me, the easiest and surest way to accurately adjust these is: To start by clicking the adjustment ALL THE WAY TO 0. Then simply count the clicks back up the dial, to your desired setting, and you thereby "know" you've gotten it right.

Supported by visual comparison for comparability, again at least for me, has seemed to have worked well.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts