The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to the manager at BMC (http://www.bmcd.com/) in SF. He said that they will not be selling the car for MSRP but for $5,000 over MSRP. :rolleyes:

Even if you're trying to maximize profits at the expense of customer satisfaction I'm not sure this is the correct route. You'll end up with fewer orders and get a smaller allotment and so have fewer cars to sell in the future.. Probably a hybrid approach would be best: "we auction 20% of the cars and have a MSRP list for the rest".

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got off the phone w/ John Keller at Boardwalk Lotus in Redwood City, and he said that they're billing for $49.9k, asking for $2k refundable deposit.

Which SF bay area dealership should I give my deposit to?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The Los Gatos dealer is selling at MSRP there up to ~65 deposit, which means around Feb '05 delivery. The wait in Redwood City would be around the same

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
glockprime said:
I just got off the phone w/ John Keller at Boardwalk Lotus in Redwood City, and he said that they're billing for $49.9k, asking for $2k refundable deposit.

50k? That sounds wacky, it's about 10,000 over Lotus' target MSRP. You should ask the guy if that's Canadian dollars, or what ?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Nay, I've talked to them recently. Early in the year it was a $5k mark-up now it $10k. They are only expecting ~25 car per year vs the ~75 for the Los Gatos dealer. Guess they plan to make up the differance in price. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you guys don't mind the drive from SoCal...

Newport European is selling at MSRP and requires a $1,500 deposit. I'm currently #43 on the wait list and I don't think there's anyone after me. Give Christine Castellanos a call... she's very easy to work with. (949) 515-6200

Bob K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
part of the club! :D i just put down $2k at ferrari of los gatos... the sales rep said they're charging MSRP... i can't wait till 2005!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Welcome to the club. There are a few of us on the board going through Los Gatos. Pssst- I know a guy due for a first months car, if we're lucky we could bribe him into letting us check it out. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey, me too!

glockprime, what did Graham say the list was like, and what was the allocation?

I was there about two weeks ago, and I think he said that they were getting around 100 for the first year, and that I was something around #75, with a "due date" of 12/04 - 1/05.

Its gonna be a long long long year (of scrimping and saving).

Steve

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
That could get expensive for some and profitable for others. It's one thing when we're all waiting, when the car is around and you've still got a long wait... that's a little tougher. Heck for me it's not bad I'm line for a 2nd-3th month car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
slacy said:
Hey, me too!

glockprime, what did Graham say the list was like, and what was the allocation?

I was there about two weeks ago, and I think he said that they were getting around 100 for the first year, and that I was something around #75, with a "due date" of 12/04 - 1/05.

Its gonna be a long long long year (of scrimping and saving).
i only spoke w/ jack gordon on the phone... did everything on the phone... he didn't tell me what the allocation was like or what number on the waiting list i was... hm... anyway, i hope the wait is shorter than longer!

·
Registered
74 Posts
BMC markup

I have been sending a few E-Mails back and forth with BMC in San Francisco. They are now down to $2500 over MSRP, for spot #34, delivery in the summer of this year. Tempting, and I'd have my precious before next year (#102 at SVAG). But all things considered $2500 is a lot of money for a few months.

TheProton

·
Registered
17 Posts
bay area dealers

I first went to boardwalk in person to order an elise, they are asking 10K over invoice, 2K down to reserve and 1 year wait. I then called the guys in san francisco and they are asking 2.5K over invoice with 2K down and 8 month wait. I ended up going with the dealership in los gatos which was offering at msrp with 2k down and 14 month wait.

Boardwalk is out of control, i would never give those guys my money for that kind of markup. I paid 2.5K over msrp for my MINI cooper S works, i think that 2.5K is reasonable.

e

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
originally posted by elias
I paid 2.5K over msrp for my MINI cooper S works, i think that 2.5K is reasonable.
damn! you paid 2500 on top of MSRP for the JCW? That kit is already expensive. I was going to buy one a year ago but they were asking way too much. no way i'm going to pay 6000 for the kit and then another 6000 mark up. On top of that the body kit was an extra 2000! The car would have cost me over 30k!

·
Registered
17 Posts
sf area dealers

the 2.5K markup was for the cooper S. the kit cost $4,500 plus about a grand to install. i love my mini, but i think that i will love the elise more. havent decided whether i will keep the mini or not.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: bay area dealers

elias said:
[...] the guys in san francisco and they are asking 2.5K over invoice with 2K down and 8 month wait. I ended up going with the dealership in los gatos which was offering at msrp with 2k down and 14 month wait.
Wow, I'm starting to get really cynical about this. Why? Well, I put my deposit down at Los Gatos back in November, and back then, they told ME ~14 months. Now, 6 months later, it looks like my wait hasn't gotten much better, and is at about 12-13 months. I'm somewhere in the 70's, and I would expect that their current list has well over 120-150 people on it. At ~80/year for Los Gatos, thats nearly 24 months out.

I assume the same delivery propaganda/misinformation/optimism is true at the SF dealer, but I just wonder what the "real" wait is there. Specifically, if for $2.5k, I can really get the car in 8 months instead of 14. (almost half the time) At this point, I think I'm willing to pay a slight premium to have some confidence that I'll get the car in less than 14 months.

Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
bay area dealers

thats an interesting point. let me know what you decide, maybe i will change my dealer as well. the guy in sf that i spoke to is named craig. his number is 415.351.5113

maybe he would be willing to sell at msrp if we asked. i didnt push the point because i was just starting to talk to people and needed to get facts before i tried to negotiate.

the guys in san diego referred me to harry in los gatos and harry was so friendly that i just went ahead and made the order. 14 months is a long time, $2,500 might not be worth the extra 6 month wait (approx $400/month).

e

1 - 20 of 20 Posts