The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been seeing these commercials around quite a bit lately. I'm usually a 3-types/brands of gas guy anyway: Citgo, Shell or Texaco exclusively. Should I lean more towards Shell now, as a result of this (supposedly) "newer, better, cleaning technology", or lean away? :shrug:

Thoughts? Opinions?

If this is a re-post apologies in advance - I searched but came up dry.

Cheers,
-Grant

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Sounds like you're paying more per gallon of actual hydrocarbons, if they're inserting nitrogen molecules into the mix somehow. Power comes from the hydrocarbons and oxygen, increasing the ratio of nitrogen in that mix is going to reduce power...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Google "Shell Nitrogen-Enriched," and "Top-Tier Gasoline." You'll learn plenty. The "nitrogen-enriched" is more of a catchy ad slogan, but they have boosted the additive package in the new mix.

While all gasoline is the same when it flows through the pipelines, when loaded on trucks for delivery it is then mixed with the different brand additive packages. The "Top-Tier" gasolines have a standard dictated by a number of automobile manufacturers (Audi/VW, BMW, GM and others), that allegedly includes more rigorous engine-cleaning additive mixes. In other words, it is maintained these gasolines clean better.

As I understand it, the Shell claim is that the "nitrogen enrichment" stabilizes this additive mix so that it remains equally effective at higher operating temps, whereas before the additives were more likely to break down to some degree.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
I don't know anything about "nitrogen-enriched" gasoline from Shell, but I have experienced something odd while using their gas in my DD '05 VP Civic Coupe. I usually purchase the gas for my Civic at the lowest priced station on my way to work and I don't worry about the brand. It's just a DD, uses regular gas, and always seems to get around 38 MPG during winter with my normal commute. Well, one day the Shell station had the best price so I filled up there. The engine seemed to run better and stronger (it is only 105 HP so any power increase is noticeable) and by the end of the tank I calculated 41 MPG. Figuring it was just a fluke, I refilled again at the shell station and again the fuel economy was over 40 MPG. After another tank of Shell and the same results, I switched back to generic gas for awhile and the MPG went down to 38 MPG or less and the engine lost power. Granted it's only a couple MPG, but the engine seems runs better and stronger on Shell so I now buy only from the Shell station even if it is a few cents higher priced. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't know anything about "nitrogen-enriched" gasoline from Shell, but I have experienced something odd while using their gas in my DD '05 VP Civic Coupe. I usually purchase the gas for my Civic at the lowest priced station on my way to work and I don't worry about the brand. It's just a DD, uses regular gas, and always seems to get around 38 MPG during winter with my normal commute. Well, one day the Shell station had the best price so I filled up there. The engine seemed to run better and stronger (it is only 105 HP so any power increase is noticeable) and by the end of the tank I calculated 41 MPG. Figuring it was just a fluke, I refilled again at the shell station and again the fuel economy was over 40 MPG. After another tank of Shell and the same results, I switched back to generic gas for awhile and the MPG went down to 38 MPG or less and the engine lost power. Granted it's only a couple MPG, but the engine seems runs better and stronger on Shell so I now buy only from the Shell station even if it is a few cents higher priced. Anyone else experience this?

I did in my Audi TT. Not sure why though, but I get better millage out of Shell gas.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yeah, when I was NA I would throw a lean code when I filled up at Shell multiple times! I steer clear now!
Go figure, I have only run Shell in my NA '05 Elise for the last 3 years, and I've never seen a lean code. Are you sure it wasn't the "vortex generator" you put in your throttle body? :crazyeyes ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts
I'm usually a 3-types/brands of gas guy anyway: Citgo, Shell or Texaco exclusively...

Thoughts? Opinions?
I have nothing to add about the nitrogen question, but are you aware that Citgo is owned by Venezuela? Hugo Chavez thus controls it (actively, I might add) and he is not a friend of the US, capitalism, or freedom in general. He just nationalized a factory owned by Cargill, and is trying to change their constitution to say that he will remain in power for life, for example. Where you stand on that is your choice, but it's something to consider if you weren't aware.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have nothing to add about the nitrogen question, but are you aware that Citgo is owned by Venezuela? Hugo Chavez thus controls it (actively, I might add) and he is not a friend of the US, capitalism, or freedom in general. He just nationalized a factory owned by Cargill, and is trying to change their constitution to say that he will remain in power for life, for example. Where you stand on that is your choice, but it's something to consider if you weren't aware.
+1 Well said.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Anyone having trouble with 10% ethanol? My Ex S and Audi both seem to skip or miss at times, usually higher RPM. I can't find real gasoline anywhere.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
When I first saw the banners at the Shell station announcing their N "enriched" I giggled to myself and said under my breath "oh yippie, now I'll be running on air". More misinformed marketing hype to save the world.

On a partially related note: I wish we could get 100% gasoline again. Better efficiency and higher energy density are good things. It would suffice until Lotus introduces a Diesel engine option!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Speaking of socially/environmental responsibility, Exxon is the worst-ranked company in the world several years in a row. The only well-ranked gas stations around here are ARCO stations (which also happens to be cheapest).

It's a Toyota engine, what difference will it make? ;)

Better World Shopper: Gas Stations
I put some of the Sunoco gas in my tank at the track (for something like $6/gallon @ 91 octane), and I got better fuel economy and performance than I've ever seen from Shell/Chevron (the only other gas I put in the Lotus).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.