The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re: New Shifter from K-tuned

I do not read LotusSport.org. I should.....

Since, K-tuned already communicated that they are building the shifter. They are.

K-tuned is 3 miles from the shop where I keep my car....

John, the owner, called me with some questions.... The shifter will be designed to work with the stock Toyota tranny. It should work for the swaps, too. They can make any cable length. I have no intest in this, since I went sequential (simple shifter :) ).

The k-tuned Honda shifter is a work of art! I would have bought and adapted one, if I did not break a stock K20 tranny and go to Quaife sequential. Which by the way k-tuned put together for me, since it comes as a kit.

I am a happy customer. They sell great stuff to use in Honda swaps for Hondas and Lotii :) .

I think, John was looking for a Lotus for himself. Asking about importing from US, since they are much more $$, here. (Exiges canNOT be imported, unlike most cars in NA).

Visit the k-tuned.com to look at the Honda shifter as a form of preview....

Just sharing info.

Anton

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
When do they think it will be available?

·
2005 Elise
139 Posts
I contacted K-tune and this is the response I got.

We do not have a shifter at this time for the Lotus. We are in the process of designing something but at this time I do not have much information I can share.

We are in the works of completing some initial drawings and working with some ideas to see where we want to go with this. We are still a ways away from releasing something but it is in the works. We have a lot of options on how we want to do this either replacing the entire assembly or trying to work with it and making it work much better. At this time there is still a lot in the air and hopefully I will have more info I can share. Till we have a concrete plan and some prototyping and testing done we will keep most ideas internal as it avoids any confusion and problems. There just tends to be a lot of changes and alterations between an idea and the final product.

Be sure to follow up with me and I will try to keep you updated.

Thanks,

---------------------------
Sean MacNeil

·
Elise Driver
773 Posts
:confused:I just bought the improved GS cable, CG cable, B&M shifter and LESTA: should I install all of them at once or just some or none and wait for the next best thing? :shrug:

·
Registered
335 Posts
:confused:I just bought the improved GS cable, CG cable, B&M shifter and LESTA: should I install all of them at once or just some or none and wait for the next best thing? :shrug:
I'm sure you'll be happy with the performance after the install of those parts...

From Sean at K-Tuned's response, they seem to be a long way out from having something ready for production. So, you'd probably be waiting a significant amount of time for "the next best thing".
Just my .02

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re: B&M vs. K-tuned

B&M is a totally different animal from K-tuned. It is just the same metal rod as stock with different leverage that goes into existing shifting mechanism.

K-tuned is a brand new totally better shifting mechanism with a different stick.

Cabled LETSLA or k-tuned... probably similar...

Anton

P.S. Based on the price of B&M, k-tuned is a great deal.

·
Elise Driver
773 Posts
Based on the price of B&M, k-tuned is a great deal.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that K-tuned has made a shifter for Lotus? If so, details please!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
re: K-Tuned

K-tuned is making a bespoke shifter for Lotus both Toyota and K-swapped. They bought a stock one on this forum and are working on it. I will go by the shop and see where they are. they are 5mins from the shop where I keep my Lotus and 20 mins from my house...

Look at their Honda shifter. It is not just a replacement lever (stick) and cables. It the whole mechanism! It is a work of art! I was going to buy one and adapt to my K20-powered Exige... alas the stock Honda tranny would not hold 700hp.... (It held it for a couple of track days and tuning runs, just so that I started to think that it would!!! and broke at the beginning of the season!!! What a POS stock FWD trannys are!!!... I digress.) I bought a Quife Sequential, so do not need a fancy H-gate, anymore.

My opinions, only. K-tuned guys are close to me. Helped me with misc. Honda swap parts, that would have been a PITA to improvise... I was really eyeing their Honda shifter for a looong time.... :)

Nothing wrong with B&M and better cables. It is what it is , a different lever (more leverage, shorter throws, more stress on stock mechanism...) I think, it is the mechanism that is a little weak from Lotus....

You can check Honda shifter pricing. Would give you a ballpark for Lotus. Again, my opinion.....

Cheers,

Anton

Based on the price of B&M, k-tuned is a great deal.
Are you saying that K-tuned has made a shifter for Lotus? If so, details please![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
268 Posts
Anyone heard any updates about this.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
This would be so bad-ass. Let us know what you find out, aztec.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
re: Shifter and k-tuned

If you ping me a few times...

I was planning to go by the new location. It is even closer to my house, now....

I have been meaning to do that, but had no other reason than a social visit, so far.

Last time I was talking to John, he was even looking to buya Lotus for himself...

Anton

1 - 20 of 245 Posts