The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Eesh. I mean, it's cool and all but why is it so over done? I would just take Lotus's linkage and clean it up... eliminate the slop.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Eesh. I mean, it's cool and all but why is it so over done? I would just take Lotus's linkage and clean it up... eliminate the slop.

I thought I was the only one who thought that, haha. That whole bird cage style is entirely unnecessary and just adds cost, weight, and takes up space.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
We always knew from the start that visually it would not be to everyone's taste. and that's completely fine, not everybody likes the same things in life.

but regauring just taking lotus linkage and just 'cleaning it up'.....this is one of the main reasons it does look like it does as the main issue with the stock shifter is not only the actuall linkage, but that the cage is just a piece of mass produced cheap thin steal garbage. so no matter what you do to the linkage you are never going to sort the mounting cage which just bends all over the place when you go for a gear in a hurry.

You will also note that on the billet one the bottom pivot point of the gear lever sits around 3" higher than stock so as to bring the whole gear stick closer to the steering wheel height. this in turn allows us to run a slightly shorter throw on the gear lever (which is also adjustable in height) giving a more precise feel. this is only possible as the cage is that much more ridged that it allows for a more precise shift pattern without just transferring the movement into cage flex.

you will also note that both cable mounting point are completely adjustable so you can fine tune it to how you like it, another thing that there is not really space for if we just 'cleaned up' the stock unit.

As for the cage itself, although it obviously is not to your personal taste, many people actually like the fact that it is a visual center piece for the cabin. this is after all part of the reason we originally designed it as fitting an s2 toyota shifter into our s1 meant we could not run a cowling on it and ended up driving around with the bare steel shifter on display...which is not exactly a looker at the best of times.
Its main purpose is also to protect you from all the sharp linkage parts in the event of an accident.

Its not quite 100% form follows function...but the function of the function of the shifter was definitely the priority, we have then just used a bit of artistic licence to make it look a little more interesting than the normal slab of black plastic cover with some leather glued to it :D

Oh and finally, This unit actually weighs less than the standard shifter and cowling by about 100 grams.

Anyway, that's my 2 pence worth, but I guess its either something you like or you dont. but plenty of people including myself seem to really like it. so im happy ;)

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,083 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Some here think the Elige shifter is fine the way it is. Others have driven a car with a proper shifter (Honda S2000 comes to mind). I remember driving an early 1990s Honda VTech stick and it literally brought a smile to my face. It was so slick. The Elige is garbage in comparison.

San

·
Registered
906 Posts
:confused:I just bought the improved GS cable, CG cable, B&M shifter and LESTA: should I install all of them at once or just some or none and wait for the next best thing? :shrug:
I will take the package off your hands for a discount

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Some here think the Elige shifter is fine the way it is. Others have driven a car with a proper shifter (Honda S2000 comes to mind). I remember driving an early 1990s Honda VTech stick and it literally brought a smile to my face. It was so slick. The Elige is garbage in comparison.

San
Don't get me wrong. I've owned 3 S2000s and yes, it's got the best shifter I know of and yes, the elige is total crap in comparison. I'd love to get a new shift mechanism on both ends of the cables but I think it could be done in a much cleaner and simply way... in keeping with the ethos of the car. I would like something done in a pure form follows function with an attention to detail.

61 - 80 of 245 Posts