The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here a PIC of my 16 pound, 3000 pound capacity trolley jack. It works just fine with the central jacking location on the Elise. It pumps up very fast to the chassis and is something like 1/2 the weight (or less) of a comparable steel jack. It has a smooth-action knob for height control. And it's not hard to look at either. I yanked the warning stickers as I know not to jack up the car while I am driving it, or doing it on a sandy beach, using jack stands, wheel chocks and so forth. Slapped on a few stickers and it's now ready for action. I'd wrap it in a towel when carrying it in the trunk as it has no case. It's a Trades Pro 835056/835096

·
Registered
159 Posts
stan I've been looking for a new race jack, I've always used the harbor freight $80.00 aluminum race jack. Have you ever used one of those? If so how does this one compare?

·
Registered
77 Posts
the harbor freight $80.00 aluminum race jack. Have you ever used one of those? If so how does this one compare?
i use the harbor freight one. 'bout 30 pounds.
i'm gonna try to get one of these 16 pounders.

dan w

·
Registered
159 Posts
danwasdahl said:
[the harbor freight $80.00 aluminum race jack. Have you ever used one of those? If so how does this one compare?
i use the harbor freight one. 'bout 30 pounds.
i'm gonna try to get one of these 16 pounders.

dan w [/B][/QUOTE]

16 lbs is very appealing It just looks really small.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Harbor Freight jack is too big and heavy. This one is just right for me. It also has a wider base than comparable small sized steel jacks. It's about the same size as the Popular Sears steel jack in the PIC below.

For events where you are on pavement, this size of jack is just fine and is easy to lug around. Especially for such a light car. The nice huge jacks need to stay at home and on the floor since they are a pain to carry.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Measured the thing approximately... It's about 8 inches wide at the rear axle line at the caster retaining bolts. The frame is wider past that dimension by about an inch and a half but this does not add any stability. The Overall length is around 21 inches. So it's about 3 inches or so shorter than the Harbor Freight 35 pounder. And about 2 inches less wide. The two front axle wheels appear to be farther set apart than the single wide roller of the HF unit. HTH. I was waiting for a smaller aluminum jack to come out!!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
>>>How much is that alum jack in your pic. looks quite nice. <<<

Hi Chris at full gotta-have-it-now retail it was 80 bux. Maybe it can be found cheaper over the net. I hear that some Walmarts have the same exact model for about $70.00

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Stan: Where did you find it? My WalMart doesn't have them, and I don't see it on the net. Thanks!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
>>>Stan: Where did you find it? My WalMart doesn't have them, and I don't see it on the net. Thanks!<<<

I got it at a local auto parts chain. Levine Automotive in Danbury, CT. Same place that matches paint to Lotus codes and loads it into spray cans. Some walmarts do have the jacks as the Miata boys have been buying them there. I just heard that it's on SALE at Walmart for 50 bux at the moment!! Grab one if ya see it.

BTW I have had Levine mix some paint for others and discovered that UPS will not ship spray cans but that the USPS will via parcel post (slow). Not sure about Fedex but I doubt it since they use planes so much. You can use UPS for shipping such items if you have some sort of hazmat license or permit. And pay a premium.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Thanks for the info. My WalMart is not one of the bigger ones. :(

Man, that place is ALWAYS packed! It's like Christmas 365 there. Ironically, the only time it's NOT like Christmas there is ON Christmas. :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Stan, I'm not making this up-I believe I bought the same jack at Pep Boys two weeks ago. It is SWEET. Three pumps and the car is a foot in the air. And it weighs little to nothing, plus it's low profile, which was oner of the big reasons I got it. I always wondered what I would do if I got a flat. Most jacks wouldn't go under the Elise with a flat. This will is no longer be a problem. Something like bottom end=3.3/8 inches, compared to 5 1/4 on my other hydraulic jacks.
:clap:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Surferjer said:
I always wondered what I would do if I got a flat. Most jacks wouldn't go under the Elise with a flat. This will is no longer be a problem.
OK, so now you've got the car in the air. Now what? Do you carry a spare in the passenger seat??? :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
No, but I can take off the wheel and tire and get it fixed.

I can jack it up and fix it on the car myself, something that's tough to do when it's bearing weight.

I can also get another wheel from home and put it on (I will have another set of wheels next week). My wife or son can bring one to me.

K?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Surferjer said:
No, but I can take off the wheel and tire and get it fixed.

I can jack it up and fix it on the car myself, something that's tough to do when it's bearing weight.

I can also get another wheel from home and put it on (I will have another set of wheels next week). My wife or son can bring one to me.

K?
I also will be getting a jack like this. I do see the point made be the previous poster. After all if someone has to bring parts to you they could just as well bring a jack as well.

For this reason I will not be driving around with the jack. It will be something I leave in my garage.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
jacked up

so i swung by walmart and nabbed a jack today. not on sale at the local one though...$65

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
>>>For this reason I will not be driving around with the jack. It will be something I leave in my garage.<<<

My plan for the jack is for at-home car service efforts. And for a driving event jack - for tire swaps for example. In that case a compact, light jack is useful as there are so many other things to carry and lug about.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
So I just picked up one of these at Wal*Mart today. Does anyone else with this jack have their elise yet? I notice that it needs 5" of clearance to get under the car, just want to make sure we have that much before I pull it out of the box.

BTW, Stan, where did you get the nifty lotus sticker?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Robert P bought one from Walmart and we used it. As they say in the UK, it works a treat.

I had maybe 1/4" clearance on my LSS car.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I didn't find it on an online search of wallmart and pepboys websites.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts