The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have purchased shift boots from Redline Goods (www.redlinegoods.com) in the past for other cars and was bummed when I looked for Lotus products there- they didn't have any patterns for the Elise. I emailed Maciek, the owner, and was able to send him my old boot and some measurements for the parking brake a few weeks ago and installed his new pieces last week. They can do custom leather and thread colors, all boots are made to order- no interest or affiliation, just a satisfied customer. I do not believe they have updated the website to include Lotus yet but soon, the prices are typically very competitive, they are based in Poland.

I also installed the Lotus shift plate I purchased from another EliseTalker, it required adjustment of the shifter location and I also used a Dremel to reshape the opening so that there was zero contact between the shifter and the plate. I also put together a write up for the DIY R&R : http://www.billswebspace.com/InstallingEliseShiftBootandParkingBrakeBoot.htm .

·
Registered
536 Posts
Looks good. How bad of a price for both boots? Too bad no one makes a slotted shift gate for the Elise yet. I know, kind of a PITA some times to shift, but it sure looks sweet.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LSUFAN said:
Looks good. How bad of a price for both boots? Too bad no one makes a slotted shift gate for the Elise yet. I know, kind of a PITA some times to shift, but it sure looks sweet.
Thanks, If pricing is consistent with VW pieces, it will probably be around $40 for each or $60 for both.

I'm not sure the gated shifter would work in the Elise because of the way the reverse cable would get in the way, this interference and other contact were the reason I "modified" the piece I had.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I assume the e-brake boot requires a custom center console cover, kina' like the one sold by HRM?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sl8anic said:
I assume the e-brake boot requires a custom center console cover, kina' like the one sold by HRM?
No, I just tucked the excess down around the e-brake while the console was lifted up (two screws removed) and then tightened it back down. I had to play with it a little to get it the way I wanted it and so it would stay tucked but it's been a while and no issues.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
teekster said:
Where did you get the aluminum trim piece from?
I bought it from a fellow EliseTalker who didn't want to use it, I believe it is available as a Lotus accessory packaged with a shift knob and a parking brake handle.

It may have been designed to work with the older shifter, I adjusted mine via the cable adjusters and could not get it to not make contact so I got out the Dremel tool and modified it a bit, no more contact but it does not have the gated look anymore either.......

·
Registered
480 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I've bought stuff from these folks before for my Mustang, great stuff. It's actually funny, the color scheme for the Elise boot would be the same as it was in the Mustang (black leather w/ red stitching). Gotta give them a shout soon, it's been getting warmer :)

wrh3 said:
No, I just tucked the excess down around the e-brake while the console was lifted up (two screws removed) and then tightened it back down. I had to play with it a little to get it the way I wanted it and so it would stay tucked but it's been a while and no issues.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sl8anic said:
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I've bought stuff from these folks before for my Mustang, great stuff. It's actually funny, the color scheme for the Elise boot would be the same as it was in the Mustang (black leather w/ red stitching). Gotta give them a shout soon, it's been getting warmer :)

I don't know if Maciek has updated the web site yet to include Lotus, if not by the time you want to order you can probably send an inquiry to him by way of email at [email protected] ........

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
wrh3 said:
I did something similar with a old boot from an Acura Integra I had lying around. Its more temporary until I can get something nice like you have. I just didn't like the look of that metal piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
How much is the Lotus parking brake boot? Got mine from my mom who is office manager at Star Motor Cars in Houston so I didn't ask the price. It sure looks nice in my car though!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
FYI, I'm ordering the sample set of all the leather colors...I'm hoping to find one that goes better with the biscuit interior. Once I'm done with the set, I'd be happy to send it on to another E'talker, just PM me if interested.

·
Registered
601 Posts
AGLA - Alan Gun Leather Accessories

djnameless said:
http://elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14476&highlight=plantation
look at these boots...they look very much like stock! but i wonder if they still make em... hmm
i need a e brake boot as well!!!!
The intent of this post is not to bash AGLA but rather to offer my opinion for others EliseTalk members to consider. I bought their Lotus Hand Brake Cover and was disappointed. My reply to an email from AGLA is shown below but I have yet to receive a response despite four months passing. I've attached a picture that I believe is worth a thousand words. One correction to my email below: AGLA does include instructions which I found as I was throwing out the paper envelope that my cover arrived in.

My email to AGLA:

On 12/21/06, [email protected]____.net <[email protected]____.net> wrote:
> Your order has shipped from AGLA

AGLA-- I received the Lotus Handbrake boot and am once again,
disappointed with AGLA.

About ten years ago, I ordered a shift boot for my BMW M5. Delivery
took much longer than reasonable and a black boot was delivered rather
than the tan one I ordered on the phone.

When I discovered AGLA had a handbrake boot for my Lotus, my first
impression was to ignore it based on my previous experience.
Unfortunately, AGLA is the only company offering this desirable
product so I placed an order. Here are some constructive criticisms
that may help you:

- Email an order or payment confirmation immediately upon your
receipt so that I know you got it;

- Do not email a, "Your order has shipped from AGLA" note with my
email address along with all your other customers that had products
shipped the same day--your other customers should not know who I am
and I should not know who they are. Simply addressing emails with a
"Blind Carbon Copy" (BCC:) rather than a "To:" would alleviate this
issue with no additional labor burden for AGLA;

- While, as advertised, the AGLA handbrake boot is perforated like
the Lotus shift boot, the sheen is glossy/semi-glossy whereas the
Lotus shift boot is matte--it, as stated on the web site, does not
match my interior;

- The AGLA handbrake boot leather is paper-thin unlike the Lotus
shift boot which is thick and has a substantial feel to it;

- The AGLA handbrake boot fits fine with the handbrake applied but
when released, the back lifts up excessively and exposes a cavity
while the sides sometimes lift up and over the center console opening.
Overall, the boot is too short at the rear and on the sides.

- No installation instructions were provided--while this is
straight-forward for most, it is not obvious for all. It may also be
good packaging practice.

Hopefully, these comments will be taken in the spirit they are
given--to help a company that serves an enthusiast community but is
lacking in product & customer service qualities.

Have a glorious new year.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Disappointment with AGLA is one reason I asked Redline Goods if they could offer boots for our cars......I have used their products with several other cars and have not been disappointed yet :up:

The pricing I listed earlier is accurate and the RedlineGoods.com website now list our application.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts