The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I had installed by the guys over at Mobile Audio in Bloomington IL. I have to give Toby a shout out on this. He did a great job running the wire, and had it all sleeved up nice and brought it into the head unit nicely. He cut the custom speaker holes and made compression fittings around the grills on the Clarus speakers so they sit flush. I didn't end up using the rings I bought from Jim so I have a spare set of rings I would sell if anyone needs a set.

ArcAudio XDi805 Amp
Alpine CDE-HD138BT Head Unit
Hybrid Audio Clarus Component Front Speakers
Hybrid Audio Mirus 6.5" Rear Speakers

Chuck Risen is putting in my sub & box as well as painting the interior parts. Can't wait to get those back in place. I'll also have new seats to show off soon, so more pictures to follow.

As far as the sound system goes, I think it sounds great, but lacks the base tones the sub will add. The sound is crisp, clear and doesn't crack out or distort, even at around 30 on the volume. I need to figure how to put in a holder for my iPhone so it doesn't have to sit in my lap and I'll have to spend some time setting up the Pandora and the BT as well as fine tuning some of the sound settings. I really hear the Clarus fronts more over the rears.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
What size are the fronts? I prefer the flush look, and the issue isn't that the factory holes can't accommodate 5.25's, it's that the trim rings for such speakers - I guess to make them look good/bigger - are much larger than that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size are the fronts? I prefer the flush look, and the issue isn't that the factory holes can't accommodate 5.25's, it's that the trim rings for such speakers - I guess to make them look good/bigger - are much larger than that.
The fronts are 5.25 Hybrid Audio Clarus component speakers. The covers are metal which were cut down to fit flush into the existing holes. He put a rubber compression ring around the edges and they just push in snug. I like this because I can pop out the covers easily and replace the speakers if needed.

The gentleman at Mobile Audio who worked on my car posted some in-progress pictures that can be found here:

http://public.fotki.com/broadfield/personal_audio_installs/johns-lotus-elise/#media

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Looks nice, the only thing I'd do differently is locate the tweeters facing the driver and passenger.
Actually the tweeters reflect off the glass directly/indirectly at the driver passenger, effectively aiming them at the occupants.. I have the same front config, and the tweeters are almost too much.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I really like the recessed look of your fronts.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Does the boxy, crappy sound that the speaker makes while reflecting off the window get better with a better system? I've found that the glass imparts it's own sort of comb filtering that degrades the quality of sound.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ideally you would want to play with tweeter positions in numerous positions to find out where they sound the best. For the last 20 years I have done kick panel buildouts with the midbass driver and tweeter there.... tweeter pointed between front seats. Presently in my non lotus I used the factory 3.5in opening for tweeters & OEM door locations for the midbass drivers. After doing this & hacing the speakers bounce off the windshield is sounds pretty dam good. I would much rather have them located the way MadisonArt did it vs having a speaker pod positioned somewhere on the A-pillar

looks sweet & nice choice on Hybrid Audio.... suppose to be AWESOME stuff!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts