The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new set of AD-07s installed along with an alignment. The old tires were the originals, so ~ 12 years old (I know, I know...).

Immediately when I picked up the car, I noticed the steering wheel felt way lighter on center, and required much less effort to turn. On the highway, I felt like the car was communicating much less than what I was used to.

Just curious if this is a function of the new tires or alignment? I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the car, but it did feel different.

I will post a scan of my alignment/toe settings when I get home tonight.

·
He's on fire!
3,117 Posts
if you pulled all the camber shims up front, that makes steering effort easier in my experience.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What were the originals? Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07's?
Yeah, on the front. In the rear, it had some all-seasons, which I assume the PO put on to try and get more life out of them...

So, for the entire time I've owned the car, it had mis-matched tires :facepalm

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm running 23 in the front and 27 in the rear with my Toyo R888R tires. If they put them to 32 then the steering would be way lighter but probably unsafe. What pressure did you run on the old tires and did they wear evenly?

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
508 Posts
26F/28R cold, and yes, the wear was even.
That's the stock tire pressure recommendation on the driver door boiler plate. I have never tried any other pressure combinations and it's been working for me. I'm still running the Bridgestone RE-11's that were new on the car when I bought it in 2014. They seem to like that pressure too!

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
+1 on what others have said, but alignment and new tires will have an affect on lighter steering feel.

Worn tires typically put more rubber on the pavement and the tread blocks are shorter (less tread squirm), together equal heavier steering. New tires have more tread void, taller more compliant tread blocks that equals easier/lighter steering.

Second, alignment has a large affect, less toe, more camber, less caster will all give a lighter feel.

And, finally, the fact that you can feel the difference is because our cars are blessed with unassisted steering!!! Assisted steering masks this delicate feel. Relish it!!!

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
25 Posts
+1 on khamai's comments. On my sports cars I've always found that new rubber alone makes a huge difference in steering lightness even without alignment changes.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the fact that you can feel the difference is because our cars are blessed with unassisted steering!!! Assisted steering masks this delicate feel. Relish it!!!
Absolutely! This is one of the things I have always appreciated about the Elise. Such a pure automobile. From the driver's seat, you can feel what every part of the car is doing.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That rear toe was way off before your alignment.

this alone would make a dramatic change in feel of the car.
I noticed that, too. And I've read that these cars are very sensitive to proper alignment, so I'm looking forward to putting a few miles on it in over the next few weeks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts