The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
You had more toe in on the front and the rear. Although the rear was a much more dramatic amount, the front might be more what youre feeling. Toe in causes the axle to want to keep going straight, so rear toe in helps keep the rear end from sliding and makes it get back in control more easily, but the front toe in will reduce turn in, so youll get more aggressive turn in as you go more toward toe out, the car will steer quicker and feel lighter. Many race cars run toe out in the front, especially on tight tracks, but a touring car will often have toe in on the front. THis info is for rear wheel drive. Also the tire pressure is suspect, when not moving overinflation will definitely cause lighter steering. Wheen I have a car that will be pushed a decent amount I inflate tires to 50+

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You had more toe in on the front and the rear. Although the rear was a much more dramatic amount, the front might be more what youre feeling. Toe in causes the axle to want to keep going straight, so rear toe in helps keep the rear end from sliding and makes it get back in control more easily, but the front toe in will reduce turn in, so youll get more aggressive turn in as you go more toward toe out, the car will steer quicker and feel lighter. Many race cars run toe out in the front, especially on tight tracks, but a touring car will often have toe in on the front. THis info is for rear wheel drive. Also the tire pressure is suspect, when not moving overinflation will definitely cause lighter steering. Wheen I have a car that will be pushed a decent amount I inflate tires to 50+
Appreciate the detailed response.

I did adjust the pressure and that seemed to restore some of the steering feel, but it stills lighter than it did on the old tires.

Tracks straight though!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
+1 on khamai's comments. On my sports cars I've always found that new rubber alone makes a huge difference in steering lightness even without alignment changes.
Most of that is due to the new tires. I experienced that same thing recently with a set of new tires. The old ones were only 3 or 4 years old but had many miles on them.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts