The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock 05 Elise with first scheduled HDPE day May 19th. Held off replacing my AD07 tires end of last year. Tread worn and probably not street legal and not so hot in rain. I am about ready to wake the car from hibernation.

Best to replace the tires now or limp along until after the day at the track? I will probably go with another set of AD07s ($$), primarily because after spending weeks reading about wheels, tires and suspension I have reached the analysis paralysis stage (not knowing much about it before).

Probably just three HDPE this summer but do regular road trips where I can enjoy the cornering ability of the car. I considered buying used wheel/tire combo recently for sale here. A mechanic I have known for while likes the Bridgestone RE-01s.

Not sure if there is a question here, but invite any comments.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I recommend replacing the tires. Heat-cycled out tires are terribly slippery. I don't know how the AD07's act when they're cashed, but the A048s are rubbish when they stop sticking.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I'd get some new AD07s before May 19th...that's along way off if you intend on driving a bit between now and then. You'll appreciate the extra grip for that first track day. AD07s are excellent for HPDE, but when they're heat-cycled or nearly bald, they'll slide on you quite a bit.

Tom

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your tires are the contact with the road. There is a big difference between a tire that is smooth because it is worn out and a slick. The biggest difference could be bent sheet metal:(
Joe

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Are you going to Blackhawk Farms 5/19? If so, I'll see you there! I agree with the recommendations to replace your AD07's. You'll find they are a fine track tire as well as street tire. There aren't too many tire choices for the base model wheels, Lotus picked the right one IMHO.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
didnt read the replies but i have a good idea they tell you to replace the tires.
think about playing basketball on a hardwood floor. all player have sneakers on, except for you, you are playing in your socks...........you get the idea.
last race at willow a guy showed up and had very old tires, they were so old that other racers came up to me and said beware of getting near this guy.
he just didnt want to spend the money on tires, its a false economy.
he ended up buying a radiator, some bodywork i think, and driving home after 1.5 sessions on the track.
why?
because he went off in the dirt and busted up his car.
so now he will be buying new tires, a raditator, and lost the weekend at the track.
not too smart.
get the tires, and fix anything else that is not right on the car BEFORE you go to the track.
if you are going to drive on a set of old tires, and not be able to push the car, then what is the point of even going to the track in the first place?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts