The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP !
I'm tired of getting new REAR Yoko tires every 6K miles!
I do not track the car, and am looking for a replacement that has OK performance for highway driving and gets 15K (or similar) miles on the REAR tires.
I've found a feew choices but the matched set always comes with FRONT tires at 195. The Yoko on the FRONT are 175.
I have a Touring set up. Will 195s "rub" or cause other problems?

I've seen Continental DWS, Envigors, Kumho Exsta 4x, and Toyota Proxs.
Any comments, suggestions, recommendations?
And can someone confirm the WHEEL SIZE for the FRONT on 2005 Elise Touring? Is it 17 x 7.5 ?

thanks
Robar

·
Registered
76 Posts
The tires you chose will lend a significant change in how your car handles.

If you don't want to lose as much grip and performance, but still gain some treadlife, look into Dunlop Direzza Star Specs.

The fronts will be 205 width but I've seen many users go for that tire on here. I'll probably be going with those since I won't be tracking my car much, I don't want to replace every 6K, and I want to save some money.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of a 205 width tire on the little touring rim? I have the 175s on there now and they are getting bald so I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of Direzza's for the front and I just can't envision a 205 on the narrow little front touring wheel :)

Robar, if you decide on Star Specs, do not make the same mistake I did! Make sure you buy all 4! The front Yoko's are so different that the car is dangerous to drive! I tried to be cheap and ride out my fronts for another few thousand miles, and it hasn't been pretty at all haha. Worst idea ever. Buy a full set.

·
Registered
511 Posts
No such thing as a "Touring Wheel"

I just put a pair of Yoko S-Drives 175/50/16 on mine today. $237 Shipped from Tire Rack. $38 to Mount and Ballance.

I have run S-Drives on my last 3 preformance vehicles with great results.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Retreads are cheap................:shrug:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I run G Force KDW 2 on my RAC Monolites and they are great. Line night and day vs. the Yokos in the rain.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
6k on a set of tires? What are you doing to kill tires?! I could see that with racing it, but just driving on streets?

I bought mine with about 30k miles and it had the stock tires. They were pretty much bald, but they lasted fairly decent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just picked up a set of BFG Comp 2's (replacing the KDW's). 340 treadwear and I'm very happy with them so far.

They make em in 245/40/17 and 205/50/16, so fine regardless if you're base or LSS.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
HELP !
I'm tired of getting new REAR Yoko tires every 6K miles!
If you are only getting 6K on a set of AD07 rear tires, then you probably have a suspension alignment problem. The alignment from the factory was often very bad, can can cause fast tire wear. Get your car aligned by a good place, and make sure they use the specs in your owner's manual (what is in their alignment computer is often wrong for the Lotus).

My preferred setup for the base wheels (not called touring!) is the standard AD07 LTS fronts and Dunlop Direzza Star Specs for the rear. (I order them from tirerack.com.) This combination works very well. It has good grip for spirited street driving and autocross events (unless you are a top competitor), and the stock sized AD07 provides better handling and road feel than wider tire options.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I have been running stock ad07 up front and Yoko ad08 on the rear with great results, can't tell the difference and save a pant load

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bridgestone RE 760 205/50-16 on a 5.5 wheel. Rubs only when wheel is turned all the way and susp is compressed, can't hear or feel anything. Have 18k on them and only worn off about 3/32. They seem to be ok in the rain. I gave up a lot of road feel and grip for a smoother and quieter ride. Plus 2 of these cost as much as 1 AD07. My car is a DD and doesn't go to the track so i don't really need all that grip. Car still handles awsome. Rears are the same but 235/45-17 with 6k on them and about half worn.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
I wonder if Dunlop would be willing to make us Lotus specific star specs? :shrug:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of a 205 width tire on the little touring rim? I have the 175s on there now and they are getting bald so I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of Direzza's for the front and I just can't envision a 205 on the narrow little front touring wheel :)

Robar, if you decide on Star Specs, do not make the same mistake I did! Make sure you buy all 4! The front Yoko's are so different that the car is dangerous to drive! I tried to be cheap and ride out my fronts for another few thousand miles, and it hasn't been pretty at all haha. Worst idea ever. Buy a full set.
the 205's Specs in front look GREAT - so much better than the stock 175's, they completely fill the wheel well, and drive incredibly well, removing all the harshness feel from the suspension. I have base suspension and base wheels - no rubbing at all under any condition.. Half the freaking board is running these tires. 10k miles is what you should get from your stock Yoka rears without being too careful - that's all i get, so i switched also. I might only get 10k miles out of these specs on the rear - but they handle superbly, increase the ride comfort 100% due to the taller sidewall, and are half the price. I'll post a pic of the fronts. And you do have to do all 4. You also go to a slightly larger 17" rear Spec to keep the car level. Sorry for the early AM crappy pic. I've had these up to 130 mph and they have not been anything short of incredible.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I got the stock rear tire size Direzza so I guess I'll be riding lower in the rear for the next ~8k miles :) I already have some time on these rears and they are wearing nicely. I removed the camber shims and aligned the front to 0 toe and I am noticing a LOT more inside tire wear than I expected. More negative camber I knew would wear them a bit but I wasn't expecting it to the degree I'm seeing. I have another set of fronts I'm going to mount and see how they wear before putting brand new tires on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts