The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoo hoo. Just got a brand new matched set of tires in hard to get SE sizes that a LT member got for me. TUV and color coded markings on them. Never seen labels on the tires like that before. Must be a new thing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Whoo hoo. Just got a brand new matched set of tires in hard to get SE sizes that a LT member got for me. TUV and color coded markings on them. Never seen labels on the tires like that before. Must be a new thing.
Cool but forgive the obvious questions...

What tires, sizes, how much, is someone already running them, if so, what do they think about them?

...I just put together a set of correct factory wheels for my SE and I'm looking for tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires were part of a group buy put together by a person known to frequent LT. I joined LT to become one the last people to sign up. I had to hurry up and do my 10 posts so I could PM my order to buy tires. Everyone has gotten their tires. The sizes are 215/45VR15 and 245/45ZR16. They are Toyo T1R summer street performance tires with a tread pattern that closely resembles the last approved tires the Eagle and Dunlop SP9000. It was the intent to try and match the OEM handling. The fronts are no longer available in the USA and the cost was $250 USD/pair with $50 shipping. Since they are 45 series instead of 50 it lowers front and back height by about .425 inch or .85 inch diameter which theoretically will improve handling a bit. For the rear tires if the speedo is accurate @ 65 mph the real time speed will be 2.5 mph lower than that shown on the speedo. That is as much info that was supplied to the buyers.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,105 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

Tires are getting difficult to find for the Esprit over all years. It would be nice to have a STICKY with all the info in one place.

'Course with tire availability changing all the time, it would need to be updated constantly.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Awesome! Thanks Dave.

Let us know what you think once you've had a chance to scrub them in a little.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was mentioned that a person with a lot of Esprit knowledge also purchased Toyo T1R several years ago. His name was Dermot O'hare. I Googled and found his Esprit web page. He did seem to know a lot about Esprit's. He used 40's on the front which increased the front rake. We went 45's all the way around to lower it even all the way around.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I just put some new tires on my '90 SE (stock wheels). It's supposed to have 215/50R15 on the front, but no one makes these any more, so I went with BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S: 205/50R15 up front and 245/50R16 in the rear (the stock size). I am very pleased, so far. Will post again later if any problems crop up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tyler That's exactly what I did in terms of sizes and front tires but went with the summer comp2 in the rear.

So far so good. Big difference over the same tires only 4 years old.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ya, my old front tires were 215/50 but fourteen years old. :crazyeyes They still looked nice, but they had turned into hockey pucks. Much better now :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts