The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got them.

My old tires were down to the thread, I stopped driving until the new tires came in. Took longer than expected as they had to order from Japan.

Toyo Proxes R1R 235/40R17

Width 9.4" (stock is 8.86)
Height 24.4" (stock is 24.97")

So a little shorter, a little wider, less sidewall.

$400 installed for rears.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
So you still have A048 up front? You might want to change them to R1R also since its not a good idea to mix tires. Having said that how grippy are the R1Rs? With the R888s having such a short life span I'm curious whether the R1R might be a better choice for track even though you get less grip.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you still have A048 up front? You might want to change them to R1R also since its not a good idea to mix tires. Having said that how grippy are the R1Rs? With the R888s having such a short life span I'm curious whether the R1R might be a better choice for track even though you get less grip.
I would definitely run 4 of the same tire if I was tracking, but I daily drive so I should be ok with the AO48s up front.

The R1Rs are feeling pretty grippy so far, but then again, I went from very worn AO48s to new R1Rs it's going to feel pretty significant. That said I'm liking them so far and I've been taking them through all of the local twisty roads. If I was tracking only I would have gone with the R888 I think, and done all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
186 Posts
...You might want to change them to R1R also since its not a good idea to mix tires...
mixing won't hurt at all if you know how your car will handle with different tires. if the rears have less grip..have some fun .throw the thing around:crazyeyes:D
see u at RTC mj

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mixing won't hurt at all if you know how your car will handle with different tires. if the rears have less grip..have some fun .throw the thing around:crazyeyes:D
see u at RTC mj
One thing I've always done with my cars is try to safely test their limits so I'll not be surprised when something "unexpected" happens. What that means here is, I was attempting to toss the car around, and really not having much success. Car's got grip.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
mixing won't hurt at all if you know how your car will handle with different tires.
see u at RTC mj
On my Bimmer I had a rear tire sidewall damage and I replaced the rears with different brand tires (similiar performance to the fronts). Big mistake. The car felt terrible. I then changed all four to Hankooks and it was a night and day difference. The rubber compounds are different in different tires and they come up to temperature and behave differently. Its very noticeable even in street driving.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
On my Bimmer I had a rear tire sidewall damage and I replaced the rears with different brand tires (similiar performance to the fronts). Big mistake. The car felt terrible. I then changed all four to Hankooks and it was a night and day difference. The rubber compounds are different in different tires and they come up to temperature and behave differently. Its very noticeable even in street driving.
I drive with 2 compounds front/back, and its only improved the ride. Its slightly reduced my cornering speed without the a048s in the back, but as a daily driver, its not a problem.

That said, I did go with 245s out back, so they are pretty grippy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
One thing I've always done with my cars is try to safely test their limits so I'll not be surprised when something "unexpected" happens. What that means here is, I was attempting to toss the car around, and really not having much success. Car's got grip.
tossing works better with supercharger and lsd(falkens help too):clap::D:D

sad thing is i hate my daughters 330ci which she loves. i think it handles like crap(don't be offended):shrug:.

both elise and 330 thou are useless in snow:panic:rotfl:D:wallbang:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts