The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I just picked up my '08 Elise today.

The car's great and lived up to my expectations, except on the driver's side window, there seems to be a 0.5cm gap between the black rubber seal and the glass. When i'm driving around i can hear wind noise, road noise, and it's really irritating.

Is this normal?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
That can be adjusted out.... I'll assume the car is under warranty....just live with it till the first service, and have them adjust it. Warranty item.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Or drive without the top on, and you'll never notice it ! rotfl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or drive without the top on, and you'll never notice it ! rotfl
thanks! but it's quite disheartening to know that my "new" car comes with a defect =(

as for driving without the top on... well that's not an option here in Hong Kong... i will die of lung cancer from the polluted air if i breathe it for more than 5mins.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
It is not a defect so much as it is an adjustment, one screw in the rear of the window slot in the door, if you search here many have done it themselves with a long screw driver. Your headlights are probably totally wonky too if you check against a wall. And the shipping alignment setup is for shipping not driving and usually needs to be adjusted as well, the dealer if they are on top of things should have checked all this stuff and set the car up when it arrived or at least before delivery to you....

That said if you are concerned over squeaks and rattles that come and go mysteriously, little knobs falling off, tape oozing out of your door sills, I am afraid you might be in for some disappointment ! You will probably soon notice the linkage rattle, buzzes at certain revs, brakes squeak sometimes (normal for high perf ) This is a hands on vehicle, It is hand made by a small crew, no robots , it is a race car not a passenger car. You would probably find the same fit and finish in a nascar or small race series car, toggle switches, tape, no sound dampening etc. Pretty much this car was designed with one thought in mind, fun on the track, period. Everything else is there as an afterthought or for legal reasons !! :)

One night on my way home from work late, top off I heard a bird like squeak squeak from the engine area, got out and poked around and could not zero in on it in the engine bay but was very depressed the whole way home figuring I was in for some downtime..... next day it was gone , have never heard that sound again in 2 years of daily driving.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I gave a co-worker a ride home the other day, he said "What is that loud rattling sound"

I said "Which one" and laughed

He gave me a confused look, but dropped it. rotfl

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I gave a co-worker a ride home the other day, he said "What is that loud rattling sound"

I said "Which one" and laughed

He gave me a confused look, but dropped it. rotfl
Thanks that just made me LOL :clap: needed that at work !

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just had to do this when I got my hard top. There was no issue with the soft top, it sealed fine, but the hard top had a pretty serious gap when it was first attached. Pull off the door panels and peel back the plastic film, there will be a nut that adjusts the windows up.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
If someone mentions the various sounds just say "Isn't that cool!"
The only noise that has ever really bothered me are the occasional extended tire squalls, and of course that one tire wall....

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
You guys are talking about adjusting things but you aren't being very specific.

There is a stop adjustment bolt inside the door. You would have to remove the panel and cut the plastic. It's a bolt up through a flange and is stayed with a jamb nut. Loosen the nut and adjust the bolt upwards to bring the glass up to the proper height. Be sure to re-tighten the jamb nut.

There are two adjustment screws accessible without removing anything at all. Just open the door and look on the inside towards the lower corners. Those screws tilt the glass in or out as needs be, in case your gap is of a side-to-side nature instead of an up-n-down nature.

Neither one of these adjustments requires a long screwdriver.

The thing that requires a long screwdriver is this: If the glass is being vertically stopped prior to reaching the up-stop bolt described above, suspect that a mounting screw has backed itself out a bit. The two possible mounting screws that can result in this problem are the upper mounting screws for the front and rear guide rails that the glass slides in. If these have backed out a bit - into the space the window needs to slide - they will block the upwards travel. You need at least about an 8" screwdriver to easily tighten either of those screws back in.

xtn

·
Registered
123 Posts
just drop the car off at the dealer, the local dealer in HK is very friendly and will sort it out within a couple of minutes. My car had the same problem when I took delivery.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I personally wouldn't start taking a car with warrenty apart. Why DIY when you can get someone else's hand dirty for free?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Because this can be done in ten minutes, and it's not dirty in there anyway. Why waste your time driving to a dealer, dropping the car off, getting a ride home and back again the next day to pick it up, etc.

xtn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts