The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got myself on a waiting list - low 70's at Princeton Lotus. I was told delivery mid-2005. In the limited information/speculation we have so far about dealership allocation methods and #'s, does that estimate of mid-2005 sound about right? I actually don't mind waiting until then, as I have some finances to line up and don't mind waiting to own this little beast. Glad to be among the great community here.

Jason

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another question I had that perhaps someone can help answer:

What happens when a dealer gets its final allotment of the 2,500 first year cars, but still has people remaining on its waiting list (I've read that all 2,500 are claimed as of this point, according to waiting list #'s)? Will Lotus start up production of the following year's model right away, therefore allowing dealers to continually work its way down the waiting list? Or, will there be several months where basically nobody on any waiting lists in the country is getting their order filled?

I can always just call and ask my dealer, but I figure maybe someone here would know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I would assume production would remain fairly constant between model years.

Perhaps a month off to retool or to accomodate any minor changes that might occur between the 05's and 06's.

One thing that I'm not sure is clear is whether the 2300/2500 cars covers the first 12 months, or the first model year.

I am assuming the 2005 model year will run from April 2004 until August of 2005 or thereabouts.

Anyway, this is how BMW does it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
First 2300+ cars

FWIW, this came up in a conversation with the Lotus guys in LA, and my understanding was that this number represented 12 calendar months of production i.e. would be the total number of cars delivered between (perhaps) May 2004 and April 2005 inclusive.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,111 Posts
They're not likely to stretch the first years production for too long. I'll speculate that they'll want to raise prices as soon as possible. IMHO this would suggest a smaller volume (2200) during the first year(9-12 months) of production.

Then again they could institute a price hike mid-model year! :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would indeed SUCK. To be on the waiting list, with your # approaching, but then to have the MSRP raised on you before you get it. Argh.

·
Registered
247 Posts
ChrisB said:
It's already happened to those that have been on the waiting list very long.
I'm curious as to what you thought the orginal price was going to be? As far as I know, the only price announced was $39,985.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Canyon Carver said:
I'm curious as to what you thought the orginal price was going to be? As far as I know, the only price announced was $39,985.
The price point Lotus had earlier announced was $38,500. Plus, electric windows were announced as being standard and they are now optional.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just hope that when it does come time for them to raise the MSRP, they'll keep in mind the the "$40k psychological price barrier" (quoted from the most recent EVO magazine article) Lotus has cited as the reason for the current pricing

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Canyon Carver said:
LOTUS GREEN-LIGHTS THE FEDERAL ELISE
(Reprinted from the September 2001 issue of LOTUS reMARQUE, the monthly newsletter of Lotus, Ltd. See www.lotuscarclub.org <http://www.lotuscarclub.org/> .)

Four years after first supporting the idea of a federal Elise in principle, Lotus has given its formal approval to funding the model. The popular small car, which debuted six years ago and has been sought by American Lotus enthusiasts and the company's U.S. dealership network for nearly as long, is projected to become available in late July 2003 and go on sale as a 2004 model. However, Lotus Cars USA, the company's U.S. distribution arm, is hoping to beat that timetable by at least a couple of months so that it can take advantage of as much of that year's good-weather selling season as possible. LCU's plans call for sales of 2,000 federal Elises annually at a list price of $38,500.

·
Registered
247 Posts
OK...so you got me on that one:D I was just wondering if they were orginally lead to believe the car would sell for $30k which was never a reasonable price to expect. Personally, $38,500....$39,985 it's all tthe same, you just have to expect there are many variables that can change before a new model rolls out for production.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Yes, but a less than 4% increase in projected MSRP in the 2 1/2 years since that statement shows that Lotus is trying hard to keep to that goal (adjustments for power window and paint color extra charges aside)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts