The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to Lotus Talk, but a long time Lotus owner. I bought my first Lotus in 1980 a S2 Europa and currently own a 1965 S2 Elan drop head coupe and 1974 Europa Special. I am active in Mid south region SCCA as regional executive and autocross regularly. I've tried the new Elise and don't fit, I really like the idea of a reliable Lotus. My daily driver is a 07 350Z NISMO, not a Lotus, but beats the heck out of an SUV. I also own a 05 Audi Allroad 4.2 [the wife's car].

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Welcome- I would love to have either of those Lotus - though surprised you fit in a 70s Europa and not an Elise ? They are even lower and smaller !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Europas especially the Twin cam models are pretty roomy the previous owner of my Twin cam Special was about 6'2" and over 250lbs. On the Twin cam models the floor was lowered about 2" compared to the S2 and the rear sails removed, allowing for vastly improved leg and head room.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm 6'2", and there's plenty of leg room in my 72 TC. It's getting in that's the hard part. Thank heavens I'm still relatively thin, you have to do a folding act unless you go in legs first. But, once you're in, a well tuned TC is essentially a road legal go kart. Never been in a car that would change direction this quickly, or was this low to the ground. I always get a kick stopping next to lowriders in traffic. That's not low. Not even close. This is low.

The Esprit is a bit better. Neither has an excess of headroom, but one can stretch their legs out easily enough. Actually, the Esprit, especially the 4 bangers that are SE or later, are surprisingly reliable, and surprisingly inexpensive to get parts for, as much of it is off the shelf GM or Toyota.

Getting those inexpensive parts installed is another matter entirely...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts