The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2005 Elise a few days ago. Its not a big deal, but the radio doesn't work. Still, would be nice to figure out why.

It is the Blaupunkt unit.

It doesn't seem to get power. However, if I turn on the interior lights, the power button (?) on the radio illuminates blue.

Thoughts / suggestions?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Just bought a 2005 Elise a few days ago. Its not a big deal, but the radio doesn't work. Still, would be nice to figure out why.

It is the Blaupunkt unit.

It doesn't seem to get power. However, if I turn on the interior lights, the power button (?) on the radio illuminates blue.

Thoughts / suggestions?
Check fuse F11, F15 and C3
Michael

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Agreed, the fuse is 10 amp, and colored blue. Look for it under the access panel on the right hand side, just in front of the windshield.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, checked every single fuse, and not a single one is popped. I'm guessing the next step is to pull the radio and check the power wires with my multimeter?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Had the same problem with my '07 a couple of months ago. I pulled the stereo and found this:

Luckily it was only the stereo wires and not the car harness that had been chewed through.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on this, as I finally had a few moments to dig in further.

Pulled the head-unit (man, those hook tools are annoying). Found a whole lot of mouse nest; yuck. Cleaned that out as best as I could, but will pull the dash when the weather cools down in the fall and vacuum it thoroughly.

The wiring harness was thankfully unharmed; no bite/chew marks. The fuse in the back of the head-unit was good, and had continuity when tested with my multimeter.

With the key in the on position, I found continuity between the ground and power wires that go into the head unit, so the harness is good. I didn't find any continuity between any pins on the head unit itself though, so I believe the head-unit is bad.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
man, those are some high rent mice setting up shop in our cars....you need the aftermarket mouse protection system. I installed mine last year, and fairly cheap too!

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In case anyone is interested, it was indeed a dead head unit. Replaced with a cheap Alpine and it works just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts