The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking all over the net for a lotus and figured I would sign up on the forums here to get a better idea of how to find what I want. In just reading the buy sell thread it looks like this is a good place to start. Unfortunately like all forums you have to go through each posting and assemble this in to a spread sheet to do comparisons.

The below as all been answered.
I'm looking for an elise and one thing I know is I dont was an SC and I believe the I'm after an R ( roadster ) and I think they make both 5 and 6 speeds. It seems none of the postings include any of that info? Is there a way to figure that out that I'm missing here or do I need to just ask in each listing.

Also are there any charts that show what version of the elise was made via a time line of sorts ans what options there were?. My guess is the 5 speed would preform better then the 6 as far as acceleration and the 6 speed would have a higher top speed. I'm looking for a sprinter. I currently own an mr2 spyder and have been wanting an elise for far too long.

Also I live in the US and is seems there is not much in the way of for sale. Though in my town in FL I see they all over. Are there any road ready issues I need to be made aware of?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
All Elise models are 6-speed manual transmission. Other than a minor face-lift on 2011 models and the SC, all Elise models are the same.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
No offense but I think you need to do some remedial research There's no such thing as a 5 speed.

Check Wikipedia first and then the uberthread

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I'm here is to learn and research, no offence taken. The confusion came from research. The internet is not necessarily concise ;)

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Ulao I feel you're going to be very popular in many forums with your comments :D for starters all Elise are roasters, nothing to do with Forman's grill and if you have an MR2, the Elise should be a much better sprinter although it wasn't designed to do that. But I'm confused why do you want a sprinter and are against SC?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I'll bite...

The Federal Elise (the one available in the US) was first brought to the colonies in 2005. There were some very subtle changes over the next few years... 2005 was a throttle cable with saaaweeeet extruded pedals. 2006+ is throttle by wire with fugly pedals... 2007 introduced sealed headlights and on all but the first 2007MY launch cars little rear bumperettes... etc. The basics of the cars haven't really changed... the chassis, the engine, the transaxle (all 6 speed but you can keep it to 5 speed by ignoring 6th - it won't mind... it's a lazy gear anyway), the steering wheel, the interior, etc.

There is no "R" designation in the US - there is only the Federal Elise - that's it. The "R" you are seeing comes from the 111R designation on a European version (which is like the Federal Elise for most purposes).

The base car came with cloth seats, standard suspension, cast wheels, AC... As far as options, there are very few - Sport pack (stiffer suspension, better forged wheels), Track pack (stiffer suspension, better forged wheels, adjustable sway bar), Touring pack (sound deadening foam and leather interior), StarShield (clear bra), limited slip differential, traction control, black pack (black wheels, black diffuser), AC delete (yes, deletion of the AC was a $200 option)...

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,685 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe my confusion is based on the fact I ignored the demographics of the cars I was reading about. I came here to clear out some of this confusion. Thus far ( though all the initiation posts ) I have made some progress. Ever forum has that crap so I dont have any choice but to deal with it ;)

SC: Well again in the way of the Elise I have read the SC is more for top end. I have never owned a SC but I here the maintenance is a bit of a bear. I also read the 2011 has an SC option and it sprints a bit slower then the normal version. If anyone has some information contradicting any of this I'd be happy to read it. I think an 05/06 with a custom SC install may give the car some advantage so I may become open to a SC but not until I'm sure. I dont mind mods but the more tinkering the more possible issues. I'm not going to be racing it but I like my car to go when I want it to.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
What do you mean by 'sprinter' and why do you think a supercharged option with more horsepower is worse for that?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Again, it was confusion form the wonderful world wide web. I'll try to find the link. Basically what I read was the R version will go from 0-60 in 5.2 ( I forget the real values at the moment ) and the SC version will go from 0-60 in 5.9. I can see form the wiki that not true.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
You do realize that the 0-60 ratings don't mean anything in the real world, right?

They are obtained with a nearly empty fuel tank with a standing start by someone who weighs less and drives better than you...

Lotus has never been known for straight line speed.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yes, but all the timings are consistent and seem to be fairly measured across engine types and cars. I use it nothing more then just to get an idea of how it preforms. If the care does not hit the advertise 0-60 time I want be returning it ;)

Lotus has never been known for straight line speed.
that is how I understand it, nor has the mr2. I'm more concerned about how a car handles then the acceleration. Though I'm not guessing it will let me down there. I have driven a good handful of cars in my day and I seem to prefer light way, rear engine cars. I'm not in to racing and auto cross, just like a good feel of the road. I love my mr2 but I really wish I had some more punch. I have consider redoing the engine and what not but I make a good living and have always loved the Elise. So yeah in retro spec I do agree the 0-60 is not a big determinate factor but if I'm going to drop some cash on this kind on a car I'll go for the best performer. The mr2 claims a 6.9 0-60 so I'd think anything under 6 would be quite noticeable. I have driven a car or two that was a bit too fast for me at the time. So I plan to do a lot more testing driving with an Elise before I commit to a car.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I'm more concerned about how a car handles then the acceleration. Though I'm not guessing it will let me down there. I have driven a good handful of cars in my day and I seem to prefer light way, rear engine cars.
The Elise is a mid-engine car (like the MR2), not rear engine (like a '68 VW Beetle) and will certainly let you down if you suddenly lift off the throttle mid corner...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Supercharger increases torque at all RPM ranges....well not the very lowest, but the engine is hardly ever used below 3K RPM's anyways. 3-4K RPM's is where you'll spend most time during normal driving. The supercharger integrates nicely with the throttle position, its not like a turbo.

The car is fun without one, as many of us started that way. But the supercharger really adds life to the car even in just casual driving (no downshifts).

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The Elise is a mid-engine car (like the MR2), not rear engine (like a '68 VW Beetle) and will certainly let you down if you suddenly lift off the throttle mid corner...
Mid engine term is so blah though. A Corvette is a mid-engine car. It doesn't make it right though.

I think rear engine at least gets the general idea :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts