The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, my car was involved in an accident today in San diego. I've been here for only two months and i'm not too familiar with the processes or what i can do. here's the gist:

i parked my corvette(before i get bashed by anyone, my elise is back home in singapore) along the street to use a ATM. when i came back to the car, bystanders told me a girl in a chevy minivan backed up half way up my hood, off the ground and they demanded she leave a note or details, but the driver drove off, swiping another vehicle in the process(she seemed DUI, they said). Front bumper is badly cracked but still in shape, hood is heavily scrapped in the front half. damage seems to be cosmetic only.

someone managed to get a blurry iphone shot of the woman and her vehicle but noone remembers the plates on her. also, the plates in the picture is totally washed out by the camera flash so i can't make anything out either. police were called in, filed a report together with the other witnesses and alerted my insurance company. not sure if the girl got caught in the end or not.

problem is, i need to sell away the corvette in 20 days as i am leaving the US. can the repairs typically be done in time? or am i stuck with a car that i am forced to sell at a much lower price? seeing that the girl most likely won't be found, looks like i will be claiming out of my own insurance with the excess even though its totally not my fault? picture of said woman and her vehicle is enclosed. please advise...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hey man, we had met at supercar sunday. Sorry to hear about this ****head..definitely call the police, make sure a thorough police report is filed and then turned over to your insurance, and make sure your insurance company is completely filled in. There are lots of instances where the insurance investigators can find lots and lots of info by digging a bit; they are there to save the company money.

My wife's car got hit right front 3/4 pretty bad and put the car out of commission while being repaired-although my insurance company (USAA) is pretty renowned for service, between insurance and her body shop we had the car back in about 2 weeks.

Not sure a good fiberglass shop will work as fast but you never know.

Unfortunately you will probably take a hit on the price since it has been in an accident, but definitely not as bad as if it were still damaged. best of luck.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Talk to local shops to see if anyone had an external security camera rolling, but do it quick because they probably don't save the recordings unless necessary.

If you're really lucky, she also used the ATM, in which case her face will have been recorded (all ATM's have cameras) and her transaction time stamped. Her name and address could be 'had' this way.

BUT the bank won't give you that info, they WILL give it to a cop as part of an investigation though, so all the more reason to file a police report.

·
Registered
490 Posts
hi guys, my car was involved in an accident today in San diego. I've been here for only two months and i'm not too familiar with the processes or what i can do. here's the gist:

i parked my corvette(before i get bashed by anyone, my elise is back home in singapore) along the street to use a ATM. when i came back to the car, bystanders told me a girl in a chevy minivan backed up half way up my hood, off the ground and they demanded she leave a note or details, but the driver drove off, swiping another vehicle in the process(she seemed DUI, they said). Front bumper is badly cracked but still in shape, hood is heavily scrapped in the front half. damage seems to be cosmetic only.

someone managed to get a blurry iphone shot of the woman and her vehicle but noone remembers the plates on her. also, the plates in the picture is totally washed out by the camera flash so i can't make anything out either. police were called in, filed a report together with the other witnesses and alerted my insurance company. not sure if the girl got caught in the end or not.

problem is, i need to sell away the corvette in 20 days as i am leaving the US. can the repairs typically be done in time? or am i stuck with a car that i am forced to sell at a much lower price? seeing that the girl most likely won't be found, looks like i will be claiming out of my own insurance with the excess even though its totally not my fault? picture of said woman and her vehicle is enclosed. please advise...
Try posting that first picture on Reddit asking for help. The Photoshop subreddit there loves tinkering with these sort of things. I've seen several instances where a person posted a picture similar to yours asking for help and they have been able to manipulate the picture to extract information using their photoshop magic. It's worth a shot!

Oh, and obviously call the police as well.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I've seen several instances where a person posted a picture similar to yours asking for help and they have been able to manipulate the picture to extract information using their photoshop magic.
Fantastic idea! Looking closely at the license plate, you can see a little detail. There's a real chance of getting at least some of the numbers.

Likely she's uninsured, else why would she risk a hit and run conviction with witnesses around? I cant believe nobody wrote down or photographed the plate.

Good luck, branzzz...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do you have a higher res image of the back of that van or is this it? I pulled it into photoshop but the pixelation is too coarse to establish readable characters.

It does appear that the 5th character is a 4 from what I have been able to figure out so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the quick response guys. That's the only picture that i have at the moment. I'll head back to the place today to check with the bouncers outside last night and their surv cameras if any. i've tried to enhance the picture myself but its just too grainy to get any information out. but even if i do manage to find her, what recourse do i have if she doesn't have any insurance?

·
Registered
841 Posts
what recourse do i have if she doesn't have any insurance?
Your own insurance company. Give them the picture and the name and phone number of any witness so that the insurance investigator knows you are not lying to them.

If you have full coverage or if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance, the damage will be covered by your insurance company.

Didn't they tell you this when you called them?

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Another for get the full resolution picture and let some of us see what they can do with it (I use Photoshop everyday). Possible we can get something from it.

Either way I also agree that you should contact your insurance right away and get things started with them. Assume you won't track this b!tch down and that you'll just have to deal. I'd certainly think you could get that fixed within the 20 days you have, a C5 Vette isn't a rare thing here so there should be plenty of shops that can do the work.

Good luck my friend, really sorry to see this.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay here's what i did today:

went back to the bar to look at the CCTV footage. saw the collision happen but the image quality is so poor you can't even make out the chevy logo on her car. so that's done for. the bodyshop is taking my car in for 5 days next week and i'll have to foot the $500 insurance excess. no courtesy car provided, which sucks cause my girlfriend just arrived from singapore and our local travel plans are pretty much screwed. oh and to top it off the CEL came on this morning:clap::clap::clap:

sorry guys, been hit with such bad luck, just had to cry it out.

but really, thank you for all the suggestions and advice:up::up::up:

if anyone has an elise in san diego to rent........

·
Registered
675 Posts
That sux but look on the bright side...at least it wasn't the lotus. Front clam costs a lot more than bondo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts