The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o2rkOfvPvWs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o2rkOfvPvWs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This thing is sweet. Tons of OBDII monitoring stats, and it all operates via WiFi. I get signal within about 10ft of the car, it's great in the morning to sit inside checking email while I'm waiting on the oil temp to warm up :)

The PLX Kiwi also has an extendable interface to plug in custom monitoring boxes for non-ODBII sensors, and higher response rate sensors.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I've been wanting someone else to test this out since it came out.

Glad to see it works.

Any issues? Would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Wow looks cool, so what is an OBDII sensor? are they all around the car monitoring differnt things? and this app just reads every sensor and gives you the info?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been wanting someone else to test this out since it came out.

Glad to see it works.

Any issues? Would you recommend?
Only issue is that when you are connected to it, you have no internet connectivity on the phone. Since the iPhone thinks you have WiFi available, it cuts off the 3G data, so no surfing the net while connected to the Kiwi. It's only a slight annoyance, and it's really a phone limitation, not an app problem.

Definitely recommend. It supports data logging, so you can grab the log file and put them on your pc to do analysis and such.

·
Registered
385 Posts
too bad boost doesn't work....

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'll run a OBDII reader on my car. I don't think it does though...

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Can you post a photo of the wireless interface to the OBD-II port? I'm assuming it is just a plug without any wiring or boxes.

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
too bad boost doesn't work....
That's because I have a 2006 NA Exige. Boost works :)

And for the interface, it's just a ODBII cable to the Kiwi box. Literally just plugs in and mount the box under the passenger seat using a couple of zip ties.

The iMFD port (the headphone jack) is the extension for other PLX sensors:

PLX Devices Inc. - Sensor Modules, Wideband Air Fuel Ratio, Air Intake Temperature, Exhaust Gas Temperature, Vacuum/Boost, Oil Pressure, Fluid Temperature which are serial extendable. The iMFD devices can also be direct output to their OLED multi-guages.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That looks pretty bad ass. Just another reason to ditch the blackberry and get an iPhone.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
If i get enough people I can approach him and ask him. I dunno if there is anywhere you can get it at a discount price.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ and ^^

Very seriously doubt it. The prices for ODBII Wifi kits have dropped tremendously since Rev came out. $149 is pretty much a steal, even the DevToaster hasn't been able to find a better deal as an application bundle.

In Feb. this year, the only option out there was the $275 ElCam (sp?).

Under 200 bucks for a portable ODB data logger and realtime viewer is a pretty darn good deal.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
One of my friends uses this in his STi and it's AWESOME...I'm also getting some Plx gauges (the OLED ones) installed soon in my Elise

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got this in an email today:

Looks like when Rev2.0 releases this month, it will be adding the two BIG things currently missing: GPS lap timing, and iMFD device support on the Kiwi.

The last one, full video recording support on the 3GS would make this a pretty insane value for the weekend warrior HPDE guys.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There needs to be a bluetooth setup so that the phone can still connect to the internet. Apple opened up bluetooth with 3.0

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can you also reset CEL and codes with it?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I went out and bought this setup. Great tool. For lap timing I am currently using LapTimer. If they add video recording capability I will be trading my phone up for a 3GS. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts