The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this as i was on a search for new tires. Looks like they have a "slightly" better treadware rating compared to R888 and RA1's. Anyone with experience with them?

Toyo Tires - Proxes R1R™
Proxes R1R™
XTREME PERFORMANCE. EXTREME DRIVING. Developed from years of grueling on-track experience and engineered to elevated performance standards, Toyo's new Proxes® R1R™ allows capabilities beyond normal driving limitations. An aggressive, arrowhead tread design, extra wide footprint, high-grip compound, and advanced autocross-inspired casing design, provide every advantage while driving hard through the corners and quickly accelerating in the straight-aways. It's extreme performance for serious street driving.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doh, i fail ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm shopping for the same tire, trying to decide on sizes, they are supposed to be available in standard 195/50/16 front and 225/45/17 rear, but seems hard to find. FYI, the recent issue of SCCA magazine has a rebate form on page 45, get $100 dollars back when buying set anywhere at any price.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had them on now for about a month. (Pics of them on my Elise here). I have mixed feelings about them. They are plenty sticky, at least out of the gates, but you certainly lose a touch of responsiveness / crispness in the corners. I kinda regret not spending the extra money and going with the 888s.

On the other hand, these tires are sooooo much better at displacing water and avoiding hydroplaning than the stock Yokos. Of course, that was to be expected with the deeper tread. And, speaking of the tread, I personally think it is quite aggressive looking and looks nice on the Lotus, if you care about that sort of thing.

Alas, if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with the 888s. By most other accounts here and elsewhere that's probably the best tire you can put on a Lotus.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the R1R available or in stock. There's 205/50R16 and 235/40R17 or 245/40R17.
The R1R is more streetable. The compond is very close to the R888, the tread will channel water much better. So far I don't have a listing for 195/50R16 or 225/45R17.
They're a 140 tread wear so they can be used in STS autocross. We put a shaved set on an employees car for an autocross. He beat his nemesis that was running Dunlop StarSpec by .45 for the first time this year.
Joe
TheTireShoppe

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have the R1R available or in stock. There's 205/50R16 and 235/40R17 or 245/40R17.
The R1R is more streetable. The compound is very close to the R888, the tread will channel water much better. So far I don't have a listing for 195/50R16 or 225/45R17.
They're a 140 tread wear so they can be used in STS autocross. We put a shaved set on an employees car for an autocross. He beat his nemesis that was running Dunlop StarSpec by .45 for the first time this year.
Joe
TheTireShoppe
Cool, These are going to be my next tires since the R888's don't come in the sizes I want... I'll probably be ordering a set from you some time in the fall.... As long as you can ship USPS...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went with 205 45/16 up front and 235/40-17 in back. Fills out the well nicely at those sizes, and no rubbing at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't seem to find the R1R on your web site? Are they not posted yet? What's your price for this size pairing? The Tire Shoppe™

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry for the delay,
The 205/45R16 R1R is $131
235/40R17 R1R is $165
245/40R17 R1R is $172

And there is a $100 mail in rebate for a set of 4.

Joe
TheTireShoppe.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Joe, those are good prices you are offering.

I did manage to pick the Toyo R1R's up locally at a Town fair tire dealership as follows:

205/45R16 R1R $149
245/40R17 R1R $189

No shipping and handling charges and I bought the tires during Massachusetts' tax-free weekend, so I figure I did OK when it all netted out!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sorry for the delay,
The 205/45R16 R1R is $131
235/40R17 R1R is $165
245/40R17 R1R is $172

And there is a $100 mail in rebate for a set of 4.

Joe
TheTireShoppe.com
That's tempting, are the prices shipped? I'm in the air between these and ordering some Falken RT-615's from Edge for about 500 shipped. Just for street driving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
R1R's will wear quicky on the street and prone to punctures

In the category of for what it is worth, I thing the R1R's are too soft for real street use. I've driven them from track to gas station and back and they pick up shrapnel quick. They are soft and sticky, not really intended for street use, at least not New England streets!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
James- sounds like your talking about coming off the track. Sure in that case your going to get a fair amount of heat in them and they get in there sweet spot in terms of being sticky. Shouldn't be much of a issue for the street.

Craig- could you give me a few more details. Had a autox yesterday. A Elise owner was running them and seem to doing pretty good on them (didn't get a chance to talk to him about them). Am getting ready to put a order in (for a '91 MR2 Turbo), it'll be street ( some backroad and a little bit of autox to get a better idea of how they do).

·
Registered
652 Posts
James- sounds like your talking about coming off the track. Sure in that case your going to get a fair amount of heat in them and they get in there sweet spot in terms of being sticky. Shouldn't be much of a issue for the street.

Craig- could you give me a few more details. Had a autox yesterday. A Elise owner was running them and seem to doing pretty good on them (didn't get a chance to talk to him about them). Am getting ready to put a order in (for a '91 MR2 Turbo), it'll be street ( some backroad and a little bit of autox to get a better idea of how they do).
I ran them this past Saturday. They are still full thread and that hurt the times a bit. Still, I was 2s off the the times of a Hoosier shod car that is usually 0.5s faster than me. The tire sidewalls are a bit soft but the tire itself is pretty grippy so far.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts