The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota will be displaying a new roadster, the CS+S, at the Frankfurt show next week. The latest issue of Autoweek has a picture and info. Could this be built on the Elise platform?

I am still wondering why Toyota would want to sell Lotus powertrains. Maybe Lotus will build the CS+S for them since the Opel is being phased out.

Or could it be Toyota is looking at purchasing Lotus?:D

Waddya all have to say about these overtly wild speculations?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Toyota and Lotus have worked together in the past - the MKI MR2 was actually designed by Lotus, the Lotus Eclat was reworked with some Toyota parts to make the Lotus Excel. When I heard that the Elise was getting a Japanese engine, my first thought was Toyota.

As far as the platform for the new Toyota you speak of, who knows.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd rather have toyota or volkswagen owning Lotus than Proton... the toyota connection would be interesting in terms of a new esprit-class car (because of toyota's fascination for big turbo engines) while the volkswagen thing would be good simply because VAG know how to run car companies properly (see the skoda/seat/lambourghini/bentley examples).

Craigy

ps. As far as I know, Proton/Kia have no plans to sell Lotus.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
That's not likely based on an Elise platform...more likely a variant of their MR2-Spyder platform. That show car is all-wheel drive (electric motor driving the fronts), and lacks the integrated roll hoop of the Elise.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Hmm, maybe I was too quick to reach that conclusion. Compare the Toyota show car to the Pininfarina Enjoy show car shown at this link. It's based on the Elise chassis I believe, and seems very similar to that Toyota one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yo, what's up with that car from LEGO land? Looks like they were short a few red and black bricks, so they decided to use gray instead. That used to happen to me all the time too...

Even if they made a car that was very similar to the Elise, I doubt that Toyota would price it to compete with a Lotus.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think the was the car that was powered by a GSXR1000 engine. I understood it to be more of a styling/engineering excercise, rather than something that was going into production.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
I understood it to be more of a styling/engineering excercise, rather than something that was going into production.
I agree, and would say the same thing about the Toyota and the Pininfarina

·
Supporting Vendor
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BrianK,

Thx for the Suzook pix. I had forgotten about that show car. Very cool in my opinion. Much, much cooler than the Toyota.

Personally I like the way the GSXR/4 utilizes different color body panels/sections. I'm getting tired of all the monochromatic cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts