The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from vacation and saw that finally on July 25th 2009 (after years of hearings and appeals), the Pennsylvania Superior Court granted Mascaro Inc. the right to build a racetrack in Union Twp, PA. :clap:

I've been watching this develop for the past 8-9 years and a few months ago I thought that the track would never get built and that it was a dead issue. BUT that changed last week and it's full steam ahead.

According to what i know, Mascaro plans to build a 40 million dollar state of the art track and recreational area with 4 different tracks on several hundred acres in Douglasville / Union Twp, PA. At one point during the process, Mascaro handed out schematics of the auto-racing complex, which he compared to Watkins Glen in upstate New York. Addtionally, Mascaro hired racetrack designer Spickermann GMBH of Stuttgart, Germany, to lay out the European-style racing complex.

It's been a long time since I've been on a track and have never tracked any of my cars but I have a feeling once this is built it's going to hard to resist.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the news

AND Happy Birthday THEVIPER..... thanks for all your inputs...your knowledge is appreciated

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yes it is good news, but this project has been in process for some time. pastafazool's initial post indicates that they now have legal approval to build. This is big because the locals have been against the project from the beginning.

There have been numerous other racetrack projects in developement in the area - Formula motorsports Park and Rausch Creek to name a couple that fell through for reasons I do not know (only have heard speculative reasons which would be inappropriate to discuss since they are not fact). Mascaro seems well funded and is not appearing to be dependant on investors and members to finance the project, but there is a lot mor to happen before anyone will turn a wheel on a track in Eastern Berks County. I hope it comes to fruition, but like every other race track project I hear about, I'll beleive it when I see it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
This is great news! I've also been following this for years and check their website once in a while only to be disappointed each time. Hope this time its for real.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
COOL....wonder what ever happened to the one that was supposed to be built in Wind Gap ?? :shrug:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Very cool. I live next to Pocono so that is fun but this looks much better because it is designed specifically for road racing, rather than a Nascar track that they added some infield roads to.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
COOL....wonder what ever happened to the one that was supposed to be built in Wind Gap ?? :shrug:
If you mean Alpine, it received a state DEP permit that had held things up for over a year in late May. They are ramping up to start construction. From the looks of it, they are roughly 6-9 months behind Liberty Bell, but I'm not sure. I am going to try to make the Open House on the 19th (if anyone from the track ever gets back to me) and I'll post my impressions.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
If you mean Alpine, it received a state DEP permit that had held things up for over a year in late May. They are ramping up to start construction. From the looks of it, they are roughly 6-9 months behind Liberty Bell, but I'm not sure. I am going to try to make the Open House on the 19th (if anyone from the track ever gets back to me) and I'll post my impressions.
Yep, Alpine... it looked like a great track ( although EXPENSIVE !) ...but it's right in Mario's back yard, I'm sure he'd be a regular.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Yep, Alpine... it looked like a great track ( although EXPENSIVE !) ...but it's right in Mario's back yard, I'm sure he'd be a regular.
The plan for the track is stunning. Beautiful area and the design of the track including some very dramaic elevation changes and great turns will make the venue an excellent place to run Lotus.

We are set up to be corporate members if everything comes together.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Yeah, makes me want to be back in that area; except Allentown is getting SO BAD !!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I think I am going to try to go to this. Would be a good excuse to take one of my Lotus out. Maybe a bunch of us can hook up and show some Lotus support for a local venue.
Thats a great idea. :clap: Maybe we can make a Lotus event out of it and at the same time show our support and make a good impression to the people running this new track.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This is 10 minutes from my hometown. I was watching this years before the Jersey tack popped up on the radar. Sounds like a great track.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I think I am going to try to go to this. Would be a good excuse to take one of my Lotus out. Maybe a bunch of us can hook up and show some Lotus support for a local venue.
Tomorrow is the open house. As I already indicated I am going to try to attend. THe web site says hours are from 11AM to 4PM. I'm not quite sure of me schedule so I'll say that I could get there as early as 11AM, but I think it would be closer to say between 12 and 1. I'll keep an eye out for other Lotus while I am there. I am planning on taking a Lotus but I am not sure which one yet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts