The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Oh Oh....

' “ We’re not driving the bus on that one,” O’Shaughnessy says. “Dealers can charge what they want,” he adds, noting the bulging order book, number of apparently serious deposits and pent-up demand have created a climate ripe for dealers to charge higher-than-MSRP prices for the new Elise.'

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
atyclb said:
"goes on sale June 15":eek:
Seems reasonable based on what I saw at the factory last week. We've waited this long, a few more weeks ain't gonna kill us, right? ;)

Yeah right, I want my Elise! :D

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
shinoo said:
Seems reasonable based on what I saw at the factory last week. We've waited this long, a few more weeks ain't gonna kill us, right? ;)

Yeah right, I want my Elise! :D
It won't kill us, but we need a diversion. What's up in the merchandising world? I'm anxious to find out what the shower cap will cost, and I would like to get the key chain, but also looking for nice T-shirts and a cool license plate frame. And perhaps a hat or visor. Possibly a removable luggage rack down the line.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
atyclb said:
"goes on sale June 15"

:eek:

Wow - they just started production and already they are having a sale!:D

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ivan1 said:
Wow - they just started production and already they are having a sale!:D
Either they are trying to imitate the Big 3 and intro cars with rebates, or they still have a nervous twitch from the Elan in 1991.:D

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
jml1952 said:
It won't kill us, but we need a diversion. What's up in the merchandising world? I'm anxious to find out what the shower cap will cost, and I would like to get the key chain, but also looking for nice T-shirts and a cool license plate frame. And perhaps a hat or visor. Possibly a removable luggage rack down the line.
I'll start adding some more products as we have them ready. My trip to England was pretty productive. Send me your email and I can add you to our mailing list for new product notices.

·
Registered
788 Posts
babak said:
Oh Oh....

' “ We’re not driving the bus on that one,” O’Shaughnessy says. “Dealers can charge what they want,” he adds, noting the bulging order book, number of apparently serious deposits and pent-up demand have created a climate ripe for dealers to charge higher-than-MSRP prices for the new Elise.'
Yea.. woohoo, :rolleyes: , thanks for if not explicitly condoning, at the very least giving the green light for dealer "market value adjustment" Glad I have an agreement for list, hope it holds up.

·
Registered
825 Posts
babak said:
“ We’re not driving the bus on that one,” O’Shaughnessy says. “Dealers can charge what they want,” he adds, noting the bulging order book
Bus??? So even Lotus refers to Saffron as a schoolbus color... :)

As has been mentioned here before, there really isn't anything that Lotus could do to prevent dealer markup. Car manufacturers can't own dealers (in most US states) and price collusion is a violaton of anti-trust law.

I can't honestly say that I blame the dealers who sell the car at market value. If I owned a dealership I'd have to weigh the extra profit against a (potentially) more loyal customer base. I'd probably charge MSRP for repeat customers, but newbies (like me) would pay market value.

That said, I am happy that I was able to find a dealer willing to guarantee MSRP on my "bus". Given that Austin is within 250 miles of 4 Lotus dealers (Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas) we have some dealer competition that might not exist elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
We have 7 dealers in California, a bit more than 250 miles apart though. Hasn't stopped some of them from playing the mark-up game. Plus, many buyers are quite willing to place deposits in other states.

I haven't figured out how to create a poll, but it might be interesting to find out where people live. Perhaps a poll to find out how many buyers live in CA, TX, FL, NY, elsewhere (perhaps south, east coast, midwest, west)??

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
In NorCA its three dealers within 60 miles of each other. The main one is at MSRP (SVAG), one is a $5-10k markup, think the other was around $2.5k. This was a trade write-up, so it'll be bias in that direction. SVAG is getting close to 100 cars a year the other two combined well under that. So what they miss in volume there trying to make up on unit price. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts