The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Elise in for a progressive grind while shifting into third, and was just informed that it is a synchro problem, and that Lotus has already approved a warranty tranny replacement. The question is, should I replace my clutch while they're in there? It would cost me $130 plus the cost of the clutch.

I've heard mixed reviews about ACT's and stock, and I'm most partial to the Toyota TRD clutch at this time (Toyota wants $630 for it). But the reality is, mine is perfectly good right now, I think...

My Liz is a daily driver highway car with 30K miles on it, with occasional canyons and the prospect of even more occasional track in the near future; after putting it through an initial typical learning curve, say for the first few thousand miles, I rarely burn the clutch - I have not smelled it in probably 10K miles now. As it is designed to last 300K miles, or so I am told, I don't know if there is any sense in considering replacement at all... as in, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Opinions? Experiences? :bow:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
If it was me, I'd do it in a heartbeat - especially if you have any future ambitions to go FI. To replace the clutch is about 10 hours of labor/$1200 at my shops rate. I've been running the ACT HD for over 2 years now...love it.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
absolutely !

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone with experience of TRD vs ACT?

Let's assume the car will not be supercharged any time soon...

·
Registered
974 Posts
If you aren't going to go forced induction in the future, then I don't think you'd really need to upgrade your clutch. With an upgraded clutch, pedal effort is usually increased... But the cost to upgrade sounds reasonable and IMO the pedal effort on my Exige (I'm assuming it is about the same as an Elise) is on the light side with a stock clutch.

BTW, I'm in Irvine and have a grinding problem while downshifting into second. My car has <4k miles. If it is a synchro problem, I hope it gets covered under warranty. Then I'll be in the same boat as you.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
300hpMR2,

Grinding while you shift into gear? Does it kinda go away after the car warms up? Has it been getting worse over the last few hundred to a thousand miles? If so, you might have a synchro problem.

If you are in the same boat as me, will you replace your clutch? :)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I took my Elise in for a progressive grind while shifting into third, and was just informed that it is a synchro problem, and that Lotus has already approved a warranty tranny replacement. The question is, should I replace my clutch while they're in there? It would cost me $130 plus the cost of the clutch.

I've heard mixed reviews about ACT's and stock, and I'm most partial to the Toyota TRD clutch at this time (Toyota wants $630 for it). But the reality is, mine is perfectly good right now, I think...

My Liz is a daily driver highway car with 30K miles on it, with occasional canyons and the prospect of even more occasional track in the near future; after putting it through an initial typical learning curve, say for the first few thousand miles, I rarely burn the clutch - I have not smelled it in probably 10K miles now. As it is designed to last 300K miles, or so I am told, I don't know if there is any sense in considering replacement at all... as in, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Opinions? Experiences? :bow:
Exact same story here with my tranny. Had it replaced and bought the ACT HD street clutch. $140 put in. I really can't tell a difference at all but new is new!:D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Clutch pedal is not much different with the ACT.

I can't imagine not doing it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The cost of the clutch is minor relative to the labor cost. You want to get the most durable clutch out there.

I've been happy w/ my ACT HD Street, but if someone told me there's one that is even more durable than that, that's the one I'd get.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Does the grinding only happen when the car is cold? I think mine does it only going to 2nd or to 3rd, but when it's warm, it dissapears, so I always dismiss it as a non issue. Should I be worry?

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the grinding only happen when the car is cold? I think mine does it only going to 2nd or to 3rd, but when it's warm, it dissapears, so I always dismiss it as a non issue. Should I be worry?
yes - see above. I'd get it checked out. Just don't tell them I sent you... :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
You should be OK

BTW, I'm in Irvine and have a grinding problem while downshifting into second. My car has <4k miles. If it is a synchro problem, I hope it gets covered under warranty. Then I'll be in the same boat as you.
I have had the gearbox on my '06 replaced twice now under warranty (within the first 10,000 miles) for the exact same reason (2nd gear synchro).

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but it will be hard to prove to them as when the car is there, it's already warm.
I told them it only happens when it is cold, and left it there overnight for them to test in the morning.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
as stated many times above... r&r the clutch.

i don't have advice on brand/model.

·
Registered
974 Posts
300hpMR2,

Grinding while you shift into gear? Does it kinda go away after the car warms up? Has it been getting worse over the last few hundred to a thousand miles? If so, you might have a synchro problem.

If you are in the same boat as me, will you replace your clutch? :)
Happens cold or warm. Only on downshifts to 2nd. 1st to 2nd shifting is fine. No grinding if I downshift to 2nd at very low speeds/rpms. Maybe a cable problem? I just hope that the grinding hasn't caused any harm. I've grinded maybe 10-15 times trying to figure it out. Now I'm just avoiding higher rpm downshifts to 2nd until I get to the dealer. I bought the car with just over 3k miles so I've only put on about 900 miles. The previous owner didn't notice any grinding issues.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Southbend offers a killer deal with their clutches that include a fidanza flywheel. Check them out. Smaay has it in his 550 whp GTS, and it's becoming the clutch of choice for Celica owners.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes. next question. BTW, consider an upgrade to the Lotus Sport set-up.
Is it true that the Lotus Sport clutch is a repackaged Toyota Racing Development clutch? I'm seriously considering the latter.

What else should be included in a "Lotus Sport set-up"?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts