The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Improved gear shift cable

SSC Improved Gear shift cable - for Toyota Lotus Elise & Exige

Simply Sports Cars Australia, has developed a new shift cable as a direct replacement for the factory cable. We needed a stronger cable that could cope with race conditions while having a more positive engagement feel. The result is a cable that is stronger, has less lost motion, and is smoother in operation.

Main features:
At the gear shift end –
Brass nickel plated guide sleeves with dust seals, instead of plastic guides with no seals – provides better guidance of side loads.

Terminates with low friction Teflon lined Spherical Rod ends – and eliminates ball linkage shear at the gearstick.

At the gearbox end -

Larger operating rod with brass nickel plated guide sleeve instead of plastic –
providing smoother operation with a higher load capacity.

Increased longevity with double protection neoprene boots providing a dust- proof seal, instead of a single gaiter.

The Cable -

Low friction inner cable provides higher efficiency, reduced force, and minimised backlash, for a smoother operation.

The cable design incorporates a splined core allowing a close low-friction fit with the inner cable liner to reduce play.

Components -
(See picture)

This single cable is to be used in conjunction with the other factory Crossgate cable.

Fitting instructions included.

Available now from Blackwatch Racing (BWR) for US/Can markets. Other markets email us for price and freight.

[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Is the price quoted per cable?
Sounds like this is only the shift cable and you keep the stock cross gate cable... Shift cable has the most stress since your pushing threw the syncro's and engaging the gear... I don't think I've ever heard of a cross gate cable failure in anyone's posts to date.

Looks to be around $340 to the USA shipped... The Rear tow link brace I got from him was beautiful quality and very beefy so if this is on the same order of awesomeness then it's a win...

You Ausi's make some great car part's by the way... I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from over there with great success... I just wish the AUS $ to US $ rate was what it was 8-10 years ago...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Sounds like this is only the shift cable and you keep the stock cross gate cable... Shift cable has the most stress since your pushing threw the syncro's and engaging the gear... I don't think I've ever heard of a cross gate cable failure in anyone's posts to date.

Makes sense. Some larger photo's would be nice.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

SSC cable has been tested in 2 race cars last race season and came through with no issues.

Shift cable is for all Toyota engined Elise and Exige cars.

BWR holds stock for US/Can.

For reference I understand that the US market recommended retail price for the factory gear shift cable is US$310.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Improved Gear Shift Cable

SSC Improved gear shift cable

In response to questions, here are some additional photos. The kit includes a new ¼” shoulder screw to fit the spherical rod end (Heim joint) to the gear lever – complete with washers and locknut.

From the SSC Fitting Instructions: “Using a hacksaw, cut the back side of the existing ball pin flush with the gear lever bracket and then twist it out. Once released run a ¼” drill carefully through the hole. (must be an exact ¼” drill, not metric)”.

SSC supply only an improved stronger gear shift cable and gear lever bolt. You retain the other factory crossgate cable. We have not broken any crossgate cables and the more positive feel of our cable would only marginally improve the crossgate feel - so SSC opted to do the shift cable only.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
very nice, does this take out all the "slop" in the shifting process? can you use this with the LETSLA shift kit?

How big of a pain is it to pull out the old cable and put this one in?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Did you wrap the cables with any thermal protection? The foil that the factory uses is worthless.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

very nice, does this take out all the "slop" in the shifting process? can you use this with the LETSLA shift kit?

How big of a pain is it to pull out the old cable and put this one in?
Yes reduces the slop and yes can be used with the LETSLA short shift kit.

Replacement of the gear shift cable requires:-

Remove gear shift knob, handbrake cover and centre console.
Jack rear of car and remove diffuser and rear panel.
Rest is straightforward. We supply fitting instructions.

Hope this helps.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Keith/DPM- You ever look into making a midlength turbo header that places the turbo under the boot- similar to how hypersport does it? I would think that would really help you turbo guys who live on the track manage the heat better... Should be a pretty easy header to make for any local speed shop...

FWIW- I've seen even reasonable well wrapped shifter cables still burn up over time on a FF275 car. Took multiple layers of reflective heat wrap to finally solve the problem...

Cables look great Ian!

TP

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Just ordered this and received. Thanks Lee for the quick response and delivery (even while on vacation). Installing this week, will let everyone know about the outcome after my track days next weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
very fast response via email and package showed up in 2 days. Install complete, have 3 days of track time later this week, will advise results. Will you be at NJMP this weekend?

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Schattenbaum Thursday, Members day Friday & Saturday. All three days at Thunderbolt. Will be breaking in my new engine ;-)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Schattenbaum Thursday, Members day Friday & Saturday. All three days at Thunderbolt. Will be breaking in my new engine ;-)
Got good BI oil such as Brad Penn or Gibbs?
See you there...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts