The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a used 2013 Evora S 2+2 with ~11k miles. The car has a clean title but the motor was destroyed under previous ownership. The car has since received a new factory motor and supercharger. I was curious as to how or if the community feels this would affect the car's value? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
i would ask who did the work to swap engines? if it was a "brand new, from lotus" engine, then I wouldn't think engine replacement would drop the value too much and/or scare off too many future buyers if that's your concern.

i know if it was me considering buying the car, with proper documentation on the source of the engine and work done to swap it and clean title, i wouldn't care - i mean, if an engine or supercharger was replaced under warranty, that doesn't negatively effect the value of the car to my knowledge.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
i would ask who did the work to swap engines? if it was a "brand new, from lotus" engine, then I wouldn't think engine replacement would drop the value too much and/or scare off too many future buyers if that's your concern.

i know if it was me considering buying the car, with proper documentation on the source of the engine and work done to swap it and clean title, i wouldn't care - i mean, if an engine or supercharger was replaced under warranty, that doesn't negatively effect the value of the car to my knowledge.
What he said ^. I don't have anything to add to that, as it was summed up nicely IMHO.

San

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know with some cars it matters to have a "numbers matching" car and wasn't sure if the Evora was that way or not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Depends the purpose of your purchase. If future collector, don’t buy it. If you just want to enjoy the car and the price is lower, go for it. Assuming the swap is fully documented by reputable mechanic. Keep in mind these engines are very reliable and I can’t recall any other Evora with engine swap, so you better get good explanation for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
839 Posts
A new factory engine and supercharger sounds like a good thing, assuming (as others have already said), the work was done properly by a certified Lotus tech. I would also inquire about the clutch. Was it also replaced when things were apart? Or is it IPS?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was done by a certified Lotus mechanic and it is an IPS. The reason the original engine was destroyed was because the car had been stored with gas for an extended period of time and it's octane rating degraded resulting in pre-ignition in one of the cylinders that broke the piston. Apparently Lotus had issued a notice that the S versions should not be stored with gasoline in the tank for this reason. All of this information came from a conversation with the Lotus Tech.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
Behold the power of Stabil...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can confirm that this happened to my Lotus Evora S, with 11k miles on the clock. A brand new engine was shipped from Lotus and it was replaced. Pre ignition was not raised as a known issue at the time and I was dealing with Lotus directly as well as the dealership. The car improved significantly with the newer engine once latest software was installed as the gear shifts on the IPS became significantly smoother. The original engine was returned to Lotus for investigation, never heard anything further. It sounds like the exact same issue, as I had not driven the car for a while, although it had been at the dealer for a routine oil change and service a week earlier. A hole was blown right through the engine block (from the inside). I am wondering if anyone knows if GumOut or something similar would be safe/practical to use on these engines to prevent a future incident? Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 14 s 6m had the engine replaced under warranty, made a clatter sound under light load accel/decel , reminiscent of an old VW. The Ecu showed no over revs. I bought the car new in 12/16 so it had also sat quite a bit. The car made the noise from delivery, my service dealer (Autosport) said it sounded like rod knock.
No issues since, about 4K on new motor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts