The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AzpFqEYrGII&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AzpFqEYrGII&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Makes you kind of glad that the Govt gave them $,
based on looks alone, that car is better looking than any sedan made in America.

Very anxious to see how it compares on performance and specs with the Panamerica and other high end sedans. (I'm sold on the fact that it can hold a surfboard and mtn bike! that's why i keep my Z around)

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Franz is an awesome designer. Really did a great job with the Model S, especially in the amount of time he had. I'm digging the lights too, reminds me of the Z8 neons. Having Franz speak on camera was a good call on Tesla's part. He could sell sand in the desert. :drool:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
But...we all know the actual car produced never looks as good as the prototype...

Also those door handles that suck into the body...a lawsuit waiting to happen when kids lose their fingers.

Personally, I'd really like to see the Model S succeed, and this is the first time I've taken a close look at it, but I already see flaws in the logic. Then again, I may just not know enough about it yet...

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
^^ nothing complicated though - plug in electric sedan...

i agree that EV's just don't make a lot of sense, they make a little sense - just not a lot!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The jury is still out for me on the giant flatscreen. Switch gear that's devoid of tactile feedback is NOT a good design choice for a moving car. I don't care if they can reskin it at will. (and isn't it also based on Microsoft code!?) Will it be the first car with CTRL-ALT-DEL keys on the dash?

The rest of it is very impressive.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
It reminds me of an Aston. Not bad. Now, let's see how similar this video and reality are. ;)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The jury is still out for me on the giant flatscreen. Switch gear that's devoid of tactile feedback is NOT a good design choice for a moving car. I don't care if they can reskin it at will. (and isn't it also based on Microsoft code!?) Will it be the first car with CTRL-ALT-DEL keys on the dash?

The rest of it is very impressive.
i agree. the 17" screen from the point of view of adding to a vehicle is a tall order... its not like you can just take a dell flatscreen and drop it into a car because it has to pass environmental testing (-40 to +140 F) vibration, 100% humidity,etc. and there isnt a 17" touchscreen in production today that will satisfy the requirements for less than $3000 which is way too expensive. And thats not including the other issues like how do you get whats essentially a big computer to start up reliably and quickly. BSOD on a tesla wouldnt look good.

At any rate it doesnt matter.... the screen has already accomplished its task which was to generate alot of interest for the vehicle, gain investor support and deposits.... if the screen quietly gets changed for a smaller model in a year its not like people are not going to buy the car if everything else works.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Marketing machine. Call me when Tesla sells the 1000+ cars they promised over a year and a half ago.

If they had issues bringing a car to market that was largely a completed a design, what hope is a new car from the ground up?

Tesla for me died when Elon came aboard. I remain interested in seeing the result, but I wouldnt recommend anyone hold their breath...

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Marketing machine. Call me when Tesla sells the 1000+ cars they promised over 5 years ago.

If they had issues bringing a car to market that was largely a completed a design, what hope is a new car from the ground up?

Tesla for me died when Elon came aboard. I remain interested in seeing the result, but I wouldnt recommend anyone hold their breath...
I fixed it for you. ;)
I really expected this video to me of big foot, the loch ness monster, or the abomibidamableblelele snowman.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I apologize if this is an mildly absurd question but if, for any reason, a Tesla crashed into a body of water like a canal, river, swimming pool, etc., would the occupants be electrocuted?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I apologize if this is an mildly absurd question but if, for any reason, a Tesla crashed into a body of water like a canal, river, swimming pool, etc., would the occupants be electrocuted?
not at all ....the battery would run out before you got that far

:p

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Honestly dunno what would happen, but I imagine that there's safeguards in place, or perhaps the kind of electrical system they have would short out right at the plug, rather than travel into the seating compartment.

total coincidence, but a friend just sent me a link to this photo just now:

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Franz is an awesome designer. Really did a great job with the Model S, especially in the amount of time he had. I'm digging the lights too, reminds me of the Z8 neons. Having Franz speak on camera was a good call on Tesla's part. He could sell sand in the desert. :drool:
To paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson on the R8's fairy lights (Brit for Xmas lights), "It looks like a council house at Christmas time."
:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts