The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Press release for the new VXR220(As most of you know the VX is based of the Elise)

VXR220 – the fastes, sleekest VX yet
The VX220 has been setting pulses racing since it was launched back in 2000, it’s fast, stylish and tremendous fun… and now there’s a new addition to the line-up.

Released under the banner of Vauxhall’s new performance brand, VXR, the latest VX is faster, sleeker and even more insanely grin-inducing than the standard version, in fact, the VXR220 is set to be one of the best drives on the road.

Based on the VX220 everyone already knows and loves, VXR220 features the 2.0 litre turbo engine with a power upgrade to 220 bhp, thanks to a free-flow air filter, a hybrid turbo and a reprogrammed ECU.

Translating this wickedly entertaining power on to the tarmac is a set of five-spoke Speedline alloys, finished in satin black and shod with Yokohama A048R tyres. Featuring a dynamic mix of 195/45R16s at the front and 225/35R17s at the back, the VXR220 sticks to the road perfectly, making the most of its nimble agility.

This all works together to ensure the most engaging driving VX yet. Performance figures back this up with a spectacular sprint time to 60 mph from standstill in a breathtakingly fast 4.2 seconds and a top speed in excess of 150 mph.

But VXR isn’t just about going fast, it’s about enjoying the ride… which is why the VXR220 has uprated and lowered springs, and uprated dampers. And because going fast brings the importance of stopping to the front of the mind, the VXR220 is kept under control by vented and cross-drilled brakes – 288 mm all round – with uprated brake pad material.

And VXR220 looks the part as well. Available in Calypso Red only with matt black detailing on the rear spoiler, wing mirrors, windscreen surround, Vauxhall V-grille and fuel filler cap, it looks simply fearsome.

Inside, things just continue to get better with super sport seats upholstered with Alcantara and carbon fibre-effect leather trim. Meanwhile, the matt black theme continues from the outside in with matt black handbrake sleeve, gearlever gate, passenger footrest, pedals and window winders.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Was pretty sure Lotus had stop making the VX. So is someone else putting them together for them? Also thought the next gen was going to be based on the new GM platform, guess that's still a year or two away.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
those seats look great - i would think they would fit right in the elise

·
Registered
84 Posts
I thought the VX220 was supposed to be sunsetting? How long are they going to continue producing it? Comments from contacts at the LA auto show seemed to imply that the joint project that birthed the VX220 was imminently nearing the end, and based on that, I'm surprised to see an announcement for an upgraded model.

Disclaimer= since the VX220 production displaces other resources at Hethel that could be churning out Fed Elises, I'm not the biggest fan in the world of the VX220. :D

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
damn, man...the elise/exige keeps falling behind. Come on lotus, where's our turbo? I want my 220 HP!!

nice car nonetheless.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
very nice car, now if we could only get it, might hold us over till the Elise gets here.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
ivan1 said:
those seats look great - i would think they would fit right in the elise
Actually those *are* from the Exige/Elise and are the 'harness' seats. These were already used in the S1 Exige and the 340R. Very, very expensive from Lotus... The 'motorsport' seat is a completely different beast again though as that's just a narrow Corbeau seat that just fits the Elise driver's side.

The VXR replaces a lot of VX bits with Elise parts. Eg. the suspension is now taken directly from the Elise and is not the original VX version. Wheels are now also 16/17" versus the VX220 standard 17/17 setup, etc..

I don't expect to see many of these cars built anyway. A handful would be about it..

I think GM extended the build period of the VX/Speedster to october or so.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
My understanding is that the final VX220's were all R's which were orginally assembled by Lotus and then shipped to a second location where modifications were made. The last I heard, the last VX rolled off Lotus's line about 2 months ago. If anyone can update this, I think the list would appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
...yeah, but can i get a set of THOOSE WHEELS to put on my Elise!!!!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
If Lotus is still making them, would explain the heavy Elise content. May also be part of the reason for the slow ramp up for 3 months or so for the Fed Elise. :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Later Apex said:
So how much are they and are they approved for use in the US?
Well, if you go to Vauxhall.com you can price/build your very own.

2.0i 16v Turbo VXR Roadster:
Starting at £29995.00 (54,956.53 USD)
Ohins fully adjustable track suspension system + £1,000.00 (1,832.19 USD)

Seeing how it's based of the current Elise chassis more then likely, and uses a 2.0L ECOTEC engine it might not require as much work as the first Fed Elise to federlaize. But if they didn't start the process a while ago then it would still take a long time to make it USA legal. IF they ever planned on making it USA legal.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
They are still making them and they are know also as the Opel Speedster, Some people here in the US are pleading with GM to import the car. I remember reading something about that on some other forum.

You can find more info at:

VX220 link

VX220 configuration

I don't know if it's legal or not here in US, plus I rather get an Elise.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
More information about Opel Speedster (Vauxhall VX220)

Kind of old info about the Opel Speedster:

Opel speedster Info (old)

Saturn contemplated in importing this car back in 01, but they wanted shopping cart resistant panels :rolleyes:

"Pontiac and Saturn have both discussed the possibilities of U.S. importation. Word is that Saturn wanted a more rounded body composed of shopping-cart resistant plastic panels like its sedans."

Road Test: 2001 Opel Speedster (Motortrend)

Seems from that article that the expansion at Hethel was originally intended for Opel's US exports, I guess we are lucky that didn't happen :)

Miguel

·
Registered
241 Posts
fitfan said:
...yeah, but can i get a set of THOOSE WHEELS to put on my Elise!!!!
No kidding. I would pay a BIG premium for the speedline wheels. I have always lusted for them. I wanted a set for my NSX a long time ago but I could not even get my hands on a set. Probably the best looking wheel of all time for a mid-engined car (still like the Panasports for a roadster...).

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
brentil said:
Seeing how it's based of the current Elise chassis more then likely, and uses a 2.0L ECOTEC engine it might not require as much work as the first Fed Elise to federlaize.
No. The turbo engine in the Speedster-turbo/VXT is not an Ecotec engine, but the older generation 'Family-II' engine from the Opel/Vauxhall Astra turbo. Cast-iron block and all that.

The aluminium 2.0L Ecotec turbo is in the current SAAB models, which is a smaller version of the normally aspirated 2.2L Ecotec used in the Speedster/VX220, but this engine is 'exclusive' to SAAB within the GM group at the moment so un-available for other models.

Bye, Arno.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts