The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I actually think that this is one of the nicest ways to slow people down. I would much rather catch a red light than a ticket or some other stupid punishment for speeding.

Hum, people thinking smartly about traffic control. Strange, isn't it?

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
I actually think that this is one of the nicest ways to slow people down. I would much rather catch a red light than a ticket or some other stupid punishment for speeding.

Hum, people thinking smartly about traffic control. Strange, isn't it?
Say that, after you have been stopped over and over again at a light because of someone elses speeding red light.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Say that, after you have been stopped over and over again at a light because of someone elses speeding red light.
Well, since I'ld be the person causing the red light most of the time it wouldn't bother me too much. I can see where it could cause some angst but people's behaivor should change with the light - eg they will slow down where the radar is pointing and then speed up again afterwards.

"Built a fool proof device and they will build a better fool"

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
So, the traffic signal turns red when it senses a speeder and displays the speeding car on monitors at the intersection with the words:

"Your comute has been delayed because of...."

Won't that just provoke more road rage? ;)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Ok, so what If Im driving along pretty close to the light and a speeder 350 feet behind me trips the sensor. Do I then have 10 seconds to blister through the yellow light?

As bad as this sounds, if they made lights like that everywhere I'd still drive too fast right up to the light and just deal with having to stop. I have some sort of internal inertia alarm and if I'm traveling under 35mph I just dont feel right.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
If this happens in AZ, I'm going to need a faster car to beat the first light and good stopping power to stop for the next one.

;)

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
I don't like it, it takes away our right to drive. It puts another restraint on us. When will it end...:mad:

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I have an idea for an invention that will really stop speeders. I mean REALLY. I'm afraid to invent it, though, because people will put a hit out on me :(

·
Registered
521 Posts
Let's be mor like the movie "SPEED" if you go under 55 your car blows up. This can be modified so that it only comes on when on the highway and change the speed to like 70 minimum.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one of the perks of my work is going to conferences where advanced auto systems are discussed. One of the new hot topics is V2V (vehicle to vehicle) communication. Cars of the future will have radar systems, rain sensors, and other systems that can communicate with surrounding cars.

Thus cars could potentially let following cars know about sudden slowing, or road hazards.

Jokingly, I suggested to one of these panels that I'd like to see V2V button on my dash that activated a sign in the car in front of me that said, "Get the 'ell outta the way!" A few laughs, but too many serious engineers. That's what happens when you let a sales & marketing guy into a technical session.:D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Newbury Park, CA, has had one of these speeder lights for a few years. I have noticed that it really has changed the driving habits of the people in the area, at least near the traffic light (the light isn't triggered by speeders nearly as much as it used to be). There is a sign well in advance of the light that warns you that the light is set to the speed limit. It was put in at the bottom of a hill as the road goes from a non-residential area with no side streets at the top of the hill into a residential area at the bottom.

·
Registered
495 Posts
In the LA area, there are SO many red light cameras now -- it's insane.

Even so, people quickly learn to avoid running the lights with cameras, but do so freely at other lights.

Call it what it is. This is a very effective way to levy a tax on the public. Busiest camera in LA last year billed over 600K in fines last year. That's for ONE intersection.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I agree

If it was really about safety as they claim, then the best measure would be to add a delay between red one way and green the other. However, that would only save lives, not generate revenue...:mad:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Re: I agree

roadrunner said:
If it was really about safety as they claim, then the best measure would be to add a delay between red one way and green the other. However, that would only save lives, not generate revenue...:mad:
About a year ago, "they" installed a "red light camera" at an intersection about a mile from my house (and shortened the yellow light duration). In the 10 years I've lived there, there's been only one accident - my truck was hit during a snow storm when some ditsy, unlicensed bimbo slid through the red light because of the ice on the road. However, it is a heavily traveled intersection and generates lots of revenue.

However, less than a mile a way, is another major intersection where there is a major wreck at least twice a month - almost always because someone runs a red light and hits a car turning left. In fact, the intersection was listed on some government survey of the 10 most dangerous intersections in the US. But they haven't installed a "red light camera" at that intersection...:rolleyes: :mad:

Tim Mullen

1 - 20 of 25 Posts