The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big thanks to KC from APR for making a custom GTC-200 wing bracket for my Elise. :clap: He also made two rods inside the clam to reinforce the deck where the brackets are mounted. The angle of the wing on this bracket is fully adjustable. I will be testing the setup at 3 different tracks this month. If everything holds up after the test runs, APR will start selling this setup. FYI, the bracket in the pictures are prototypes. The production version will have triangle cutouts on them for weigh saving.

Here is more info on the wing itself:
GTC-200

GTC-200 CFD Data:
Just divide the number by 4.44822 to convert it the lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Manly....sweet!...great your times are gonna be even faster...

Do you have pics. of the different angles of adjustments?

·
Registered
617 Posts
That looks great Manly. Your speed is such that we should get a good idea of how much such a wing helps/hurts lap times on different tracks.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Looks great Manly! I have the GTC 300 on mine, but we cut the ends to fit the width of the car better since the normal one is too wide. I am interested to see what you think. This will be a great real world test for the effects of downforce, akin to Carl's removal of his wing on his Exige which resulted in a weeds-in-cockpit spin out previously at BW!

For those that don't know, Manly pilots his NA Elise in time attack faster than almost all of the supercharged and Cup cars. For reference, his last Buttonwillow time attack time on STREET tires was a 2:01.XX on CW13. Which is...insane. I am eager to hear how his subjective feel will be compared to the real times he will be getting. :shift:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eddie, the two silver rods behind the brackets are for the angle adjustment. Simply loosen, turn to adjust your desire angle, then tighten when finish. You can adjust the angle in infinite increments. :up:

I'll be at SOW, WSIR, and BW#13 this month. I'm not sure if there will be a noticable advantage at SOW. But for WSIR and BW, I hoping to shave about 2 secs. we'll see. I can't wait to get the car on the track, especially BW.

Peter, I think the 300 suits your car perfectly. AJ should also go with the 300 as well. You guys have the extra power to overcome the slightly added drag that comes with the 300. But it produces twice as much downforce compare to the 200. -eek- Good stuff. :up:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I am glad they are finally stepping up to make this available for us Elise drivers :) I have a universal APR wing on my Elise and made support brackets for the boot and custom adjustment brackets to get 11 degrees and the difference on track is very noticeable - You will love this wing :)
If you have a contact at APR see if you can get some information on the rumor that I heard that they actually produce the Rear Carbon Diffuser that is being sold by another company!
That wing kicks ass :) looking forward to your impressions !
Here is my setup from APR.

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was surprised to see the APR GTC-200 worked even at a low speed track like Streets of Willow. :banana: I was getting lots of understeer with the wing adjusted to minimum AOA. I think with some front aero, I can get into high 1:23s easily. With just the rear wing, it already helped my laptimes though. I had old tires and weather was hotter this time around. I was turning 1:24s pretty consistently. Whereas the last time without the wing, I was on fresh rubbers and cooler temps, I only got into 1:24s once. Can't wait to test out a fast track like Buttonwillow. I'm sure the improvement will be even greater there. I'm going back to APR next week for some front aero help to reduce understeer. :nanner: will report back after the next track day.

Streets of Willow
Higher Quality

Same video on youtube
Lower Quality

·
Registered
216 Posts
Man...only car that looks so good with big ass wing on stock body.

·
Registered
693 Posts
APR makes good stuff. I've owned a lot of their products over the years. Very good customer service and will fabricate special orders.

I've had them fabricate a splitter and spoiler for my S2000.

Couple of observations.

1. The stands could probably be a half inch lower in the front to avoid having to really unscrew the rods in the back to get the right angle on the blade. The way it is on the prototype looks too level to give you much downforce.

2. You should consider having them widen the base of the stands by another 4 inches on either side. It will give it more strength but will also look more aggressive from the ass shot. Since it's a 3D spoiler, you can't really go much wider with the stand before they will hit the larger portion of the blade.

3. The blade width looks good from all angles.

4. Consider possibly a different shape for the end plates that flows a little better with the look of the car. JMO.

Overall, I'm sure APR will put out a good product.

Tim

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
APR makes good stuff. I've owned a lot of their products over the years. Very good customer service and will fabricate special orders.

I've had them fabricate a splitter and spoiler for my S2000.

Couple of observations.

1. The stands could probably be a half inch lower in the front to avoid having to really unscrew the rods in the back to get the right angle on the blade. The way it is on the prototype looks too level to give you much downforce.

2. You should consider having them widen the base of the stands by another 4 inches on either side. It will give it more strength but will also look more aggressive from the ass shot. Since it's a 3D spoiler, you can't really go much wider with the stand before they will hit the larger portion of the blade.

3. The blade width looks good from all angles.

4. Consider possibly a different shape for the end plates that flows a little better with the look of the car. JMO.

Overall, I'm sure APR will put out a good product.

Tim
Calling the wing element the "Blade" really confused me at first

Angle of Attack (AOA) is set to 0 degrees right now I believe which is perfectly fine and functional for that wing. It looks like it is exactly where it should be according to the APR measuring specs. The more you start the increase the angle of attack the more drag you generate.

You are basing far too much of this on looks. The goal is to generate downforce with minimal additional drag and most of those parts are designed with that in mind, endplates on the wing included.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts