The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the new Z car yesterday on the street. Right next to Robert's house. I thought it was a 430SC at first, but noticed the roof was different, then I recongnized it from the car show. I assume it had dealer or manufacturer plates, but I didn't get a chance to see.

Sounded cool. Is it running a Turbo (twin maybe?) 3.5L? I talked to David about the 3.5L NA that's in his Altima. I figure slap a turbo on that and put it in a light weight body and you'll get a mid 12 sec car.

I'm affraid to ask, but how much? It's weird, all these sports cars priced them selves out of the market 5 years back, but are now being introduced with more HP, just as much more weight, but tagging on 30% more $$.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
125 Posts
I saw one monday evening in Westchester. The guy driving it was preening like a fool...and to be honest, the car looked kinda stupid too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Normally aspirated 3.5L in a "higher tune" than the Altima, Maxima, or G35. 290hp???

Lots of spread in pricing and I'm sure a dealer markup, but they do start at under $28K.

They have a track package that adds like $7500 and includes lots of cool stuff. But none of the forms it comes in looks ideal for Autocross. Some of the Track stuff is cool.... But others are a liability. Its funny what small things in equiping and a car can do to its performance potential in stock class.

·
Registered
86 Posts
woodrufj said:
snippage ...

I'm affraid to ask, but how much? It's weird, all these sports cars priced them selves out of the market 5 years back, but are now being introduced with more HP, just as much more weight, but tagging on 30% more $$.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

I wouldn't say the 300ZX, RX7 or Mitsu 3000 GT priced themselves out of the market. These were cars going for around $30k-35k with performance, at least in the 300 and RX, close to a 911 at twice the price.

What killed them 5 years ago is that the demographic spending that kind of money on a vehicle wanted an SUV, not a 2-seat sports touring car.

Conversely, those interested in a sports touring car were older and had the money for a Porsche or M5 or a 6-series BMW.

Bob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Still far cheaper than a 911 at list or with the standard Porsche dealer markup.

About '93 or so an editor at Automobile commented that he didn't see how Porsche could continue to sell 911s at nearly $70k when you could get a 300ZX or RX7 for half of that. Guess he didn't figure on the demographics.

I'm certain that the reason the RX8 and the 350Z are going to start at under $30k is to keep them in reach of a younger crowd. Plus, there are the WRX and the Evo VIII, which will still be cheaper although not as refined.

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
MX5bob said:
Still far cheaper than a 911 at list or with the standard Porsche dealer markup.

About '93 or so an editor at Automobile commented that he didn't see how Porsche could continue to sell 911s at nearly $70k when you could get a 300ZX or RX7 for half of that. Guess he didn't figure on the demographics.

I'm certain that the reason the RX8 and the 350Z are going to start at under $30k is to keep them in reach of a younger crowd. Plus, there are the WRX and the Evo VIII, which will still be cheaper although not as refined.
Well a lot of people love the IDEA of German engineering so they will always want a German car. In that respect Porsche is fairly safe from Japeneese imports.

I agree why the cars are so cheap. They have to keep them within reach of the younger crowd (21-35) which is doing the majority of the purchasing in the 25k-40k range right now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"...911 accounted for 13,132 units, including 2,583 Turbos and 209 GT2s..."

The quote was from Porsche's most recent annual report. If the 350Z was priced similarly as the 911 then one would expect that Nissan will not sell a whole lot of them. There's not a big market for $70,000 sports cars, too niche.

Priced as it is I can see many more buyers could afford such a car. And they'll attract some Z3, SLK, Audi TT, Miata, MR2, etc. customers into Nissan showrooms.

IMO, yes, some will buy German simply because they believe it is the car to own and they will continue to buy German. Similarly, Cadillac and Lincoln owners continue to buy those marques because they feel the same way...

Do I need to start up another controversial thread like the Import VS Domestic one? This place has been deadsville lately...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw another one at school yesterday!. And I parked next to it. Sure the spot next to the Z meant an extra 150ft of walking, but it was worth it.

They must be one sale now. This one had the papers taped to the window.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
I've seen one on the freeways here, and then whlie I was in Austin last week Allyson and I saw two. They all were Sliver too...

Anyway I decided I really don't like their looks, but they might grow on me. I would like to autox one sometime.

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
One of our local Nissan dealers had one on the showroom recently - for almost an hour and a half! It (and at least he next seven) was pre-sold and they persuaded the owner into letting them display it for about an hour or so. I missed by several days. He said the first one they get that might (might) be available to be looked at will be sometime in December.

If Nissan, and other carmakers, were smart (I wonder sometimes), they would issue one of each new model to each dealer, but it would be the property of Nissan, and therefore NOT be for sale. I think they would probably sell more of any new model if people could look, touch, and drive before putting their money down.

There will always be those who will buy sight-unseen,, but I ain't givin' nobody nuthin' til I can drive. So there, pbtbtpbttbptbbppt!

Bucky

1 - 12 of 12 Posts