The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked it up today - its actually for my fiance since I am getting an Elise -

jet black, hardtop, red leather, GPS nav, heated seats, , etc. We got the 2.5 because she is more interested in all the latest gadgets and gizmos rather than HP. The SMG gearbox is really fun to use and the inline 6 is silky smooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Today I like the Z4, but that changes from day to day. That's why I wouldn't buy one. Then again it is a BMW so it should be pretty good looks aside. Plus no fussing with the top. It will likely be a nice sunny day cruiser. I hope she likes it.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,

She loves it. We looked at the s2000 as well, especially since they were much cheaper. Z4 may be ugly to some people but it at least makes a statement. The s2000 looks are BORING. I see one and it makes me yawn. After driving both cars it was a no brainer. Now if our Elises would get here!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Great car!

I love the black with the red seats! I was going to go with the sterling grey and red before I decided that I really wanted the Elise more.

Although a lot of people say that they are different cars (and they are), I did cross shop them.

I hope she enjoys it!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Donovan said:
Thanks guys,

She loves it. We looked at the s2000 as well, especially since they were much cheaper. Z4 may be ugly to some people but it at least makes a statement. The s2000 looks are BORING. I see one and it makes me yawn. After driving both cars it was a no brainer. Now if our Elises would get here!

I do agree, love it or hate it the Z4 at least gets a reaction. As great as the S2000 may be, it just doesn't look like anything special.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
S2000 may not look like much now, but its lines are clean and simple, and its proportions are exquisite. In 20 years, when the Z4 is regarded as trash, the S2000 will be a classic. It's got timeless beauty and elegance.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
On Saturday I was helping a local BMW dealer here in Atlanta how brought out some cars to an autocross and some cars to test drive. A guy autocrossed a car and then test drove the Z4 and crashed it rather badly, fortunately he wasn't hurt too bad but the car is a mess! the odd thing is he crashed it a pretty high speed in a 35 MPH zone. Real shame the Z4 is a ncie handling and performing car.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
originally posted by transio
In 20 years, when the Z4 is regarded as trash, the S2000 will be a classic. It's got timeless beauty and elegance.
S2000 has typical Japanese design. I like the '04 design better, but it still looks like a box. The Z4 is odd-looking and therefore is an attention grabber. The design of the Z4 doesn't look German, Italian, French, etc. It's unclassifiable and that's where the success of the design is. It is a design all its own. Therefore, I think the Z4 will be regarded as a classic. I see the Z4 as a work of art: a design far from the boring cars of today. Sometimes Japanese car designs are too simple. They did a better job on the '04 design, in my opinion. But a Z4, it is not.

Especially in black, the Z4 looks quite good. It "hides" some of the lines. Alpina makes a very nice rear spoiler that flows with the truck line and fills it up quite nicely. You may want to check it out.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Personally not fond of the Z4 styling, but there is a black one that I see at my train station parking lot every day, and I have to agree it looks sharp in black...

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you don't like the Z4, then you must not like the new 6 or 7. They're all flowing in the same direction, the Z is just the most radical. Personally, it's a 1000% better than the Z3, but still can't touch the boxster's styling.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the styling alot - very unique and you know one when you see it right away. She wanted a car that stood out from the crowd and the S2000 didn't cut it. Audi TT was out of the running because for some reason they are really popular in the Seattle area. They are everywhere. But I would love to try that dual clutch sequential manual they have out now.

The Honda is a great performer but I think they really missed an oppurtunity for a fantastic car if they would have done more with the styling. It is way too tame. Which is different than timeless.
We both thought the interior was boring and bland as well. Functional? Absolutley. But doesn't do anything for my emotions.

The styling cue I don't like on the Z4 is the 45 degree angle crease that runs down from the windshield and follows into the body. But I think you guys are right - black kinda hides that line. BMW has a shitty selection of colors. Even their blues look gray.

To be honest this car has a part of me wondering about the Elise. It can do 80-90% that the Elise can without sacrificing comfort, ease of entry, etc. I am sure that last 10-20% will be well worth it. Good thing I get to have both!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
SMYLGR8 said:
If you don't like the Z4, then you must not like the new 6 or 7. They're all flowing in the same direction, the Z is just the most radical. Personally, it's a 1000% better than the Z3, but still can't touch the boxster's styling.
I don't like any of the the above, the Z4, new 6, or the new 7. I have owned 4 BMW's in the past and I feel BMW's styling took a turn for the worse. Chris Bengle should design other things than cars.

Sorry, but my 2 cents worth,
Mitch

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I like how the tail end looks, but I just can't get over the pig-nose front end. Definitely looks better in black than other colors, and that hardtop is nice.

Cade

1 - 20 of 21 Posts