The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm new to posting but have been reading for a few months and have loved Lotus for years. Don't have one yet, but dream every day. I think I did my first post wrong :panic:, and on top of that put it in the wrong section :wallbang:. Sorry. I'll keep it shorter here. I couldn't find this topic anywhere, but sorry if it's a repeat / a stupid question.

Is it totally unreasonable to get a Lotus as a first sports car? I drive a manual wrangler now, but have experience in borrowed / family Porsches, BMWs, some smaller imports, and had the good luck to test drive and Evora S :D. But I've never actually owned a sports car or driven one consistently for more than a few weeks.

I'm a young guy who is not really familiar with auto-mechanics, so wouldn't be looking to do many repairs myself (would want something under warranty). Also wouldn't plan to mod / track it; maybe autocross to really learn the car. Mostly I am looking for a car that is really fun to drive and for some crazy reason the quirks of Lotus actually attract me to them.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Shoot, go for it! There's nothing wrong with having a Lotus as your first sports car. If I had to give you one bit of advice and only one, especially coming from a Jeep I'd tell you to be EXTREMELY careful with the front lip clearance. It's very easy to ding up and very costly to fix. Don't make the same mistake I made with my Elise. Get a splitter thrown on there for about $500 and protect your front clam. The added benefit is that the car feels a lot more solid on the front end at high speed.

Which Lotus were you leaning towards?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
be EXTREMELY careful with the front lip clearance...

Which Lotus were you leaning towards?
Thanks for the input, and the suggestion.

I have read a lot about the clearance issues for the Elise. I live in a building with a dedicated garage (a plus) but it has ramps down into it and up to get back out. I can't tell you the number of times I've whipped my Jeep up the ramp then said "would never be able to do that if I had a Lotus." I think it's a gentile enough slope that I would be safe if careful. With a splitter, is there not a risk of it cracking as well though? How much more defensible is it? And how much would the install cost? There's no chance I could do it.

I'm trying to figure out which Lotus would be best. Thinking an Elise or an Evora / S. Both has so many great things to offer! I only put about 20 real miles per week on the Jeep, so I really want something that makes me want to get out and drive. Cost difference is obviously an issue there, especially considering depreciation and retaining value, and I would have to see with my finances what I could do; may not be able to do either for a while :sad:. I'm trying to figure out if the Evoras will hold value, and what pricing is going to do from here with the Elise. Most importantly, I need to actually get to drive an Elise and experience it though before I can reach any conclusion.

One question I have, since most of the driving around here is city driving, would a non-SC Elise / NA Evora have enough power in the lower end of the powerband? I'm not looking for face-melting acceleration - these cars are about so much more than that, and after driving the Evora S I finally understood why every review uses the word "telepathic" for the steering, a fact that bugged me until I experienced it myself.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Thanks for the input, and the suggestion.

I have read a lot about the clearance issues for the Elise. I live in a building with a dedicated garage (a plus) but it has ramps down into it and up to get back out. I can't tell you the number of times I've whipped my Jeep up the ramp then said "would never be able to do that if I had a Lotus." I think it's a gentile enough slope that I would be safe if careful. With a splitter, is there not a risk of it cracking as well though? How much more defensible is it? And how much would the install cost? There's no chance I could do it.

I'm trying to figure out which Lotus would be best. Thinking an Elise or an Evora / S. Both has so many great things to offer! I only put about 20 real miles per week on the Jeep, so I really want something that makes me want to get out and drive. Cost difference is obviously an issue there, especially considering depreciation and retaining value, and I would have to see with my finances what I could do; may not be able to do either for a while :sad:. I'm trying to figure out if the Evoras will hold value, and what pricing is going to do from here with the Elise. Most importantly, I need to actually get to drive an Elise and experience it though before I can reach any conclusion.

One question I have, since most of the driving around here is city driving, would a non-SC Elise / NA Evora have enough power in the lower end of the powerband? I'm not looking for face-melting acceleration - these cars are about so much more than that, and after driving the Evora S I finally understood why every review uses the word "telepathic" for the steering, a fact that bugged me until I experienced it myself.
So many questions! :panic: Just kidding man. Happy to offer my not so humble opinions. Regarding the splitter, yes of course there's chance of damaging it. Besides the cosmetic, and aerodynamic benefits of one, it's also meant to be somewhat "sacrificial". Look at it this way. Would you rather ruin a $500 splitter if it means saving the front clam from a four figure fix?

They're not that hard to put on either. Believe me. If you can get your hands on a couple of ramps down at Walmart or the local auto store and just a few basic tools, you can install it yourself. Besides, if you live by DFW there should be some other forum members who would be more than happy to help you install it. If you have to pay someone for the install it shouldn't cost that much.

I'm sure there's others on here that don't put as much emphasis on getting one on your front clam, but I learned the hard way. It'll protect from curb damage, road debris (roadkill, etc). I'll put it to you this way. Currently nobody's making one for the Evora, but I have five months to figure something out before my car's supposed to show up from Hethel. I WILL get one it before I drive it.

Before I forget. Make sure that the car will clear your garage curb that you speak of! I know I'm stating the obvious, but......

As for which model to go with? You said it best. Get out there and drive them. Go to car shows, cars & coffee events, etc and talk to the owners. 2010 and 2011 Evoras can be had a very reasonable prices nowadays. Older Elises can be had for the 30K price range, so there's some reasonable buys out there.

SC, S or NA? Only you can decide on that. I owned an Elise SC, have never driven a NA Elise or Evora, and have driven an Evora S. For me, the additional cost of supercharging is worth it. For you, it might not be. Certainly you'll probably feel more underpowered in the NA Evora than the Elise judging by everything I've read both on this forum and articles. I hope that helps, but remember that it's only one man's opinion.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So many questions! :panic: Just kidding man. Happy to offer my not so humble opinions. Regarding the splitter, yes of course there's chance of damaging it. Besides the cosmetic, and aerodynamic benefits of one, it's also meant to be somewhat "sacrificial". Look at it this way. Would you rather ruin a $500 splitter if it means saving the front clam from a four figure fix?

They're not that hard to put on either. Believe me. If you can get your hands on a couple of ramps down at Walmart or the local auto store and just a few basic tools, you can install it yourself. Besides, if you live by DFW there should be some other forum members who would be more than happy to help you install it. If you have to pay someone for the install it shouldn't cost that much.

I'm sure there's others on here that don't put as much emphasis on getting one on your front clam, but I learned the hard way. It'll protect from curb damage, road debris (roadkill, etc). I'll put it to you this way. Currently nobody's making one for the Evora, but I have five months to figure something out before my car's supposed to show up from Hethel. I WILL get one it before I drive it.

As for which model to go with? You said it best. Get out there and drive them. Go to car shows, cars & coffee events, etc and talk to the owners. 2010 and 2011 Evoras can be had a very reasonable prices nowadays. Older Elises can be had for the 30K price range, so there's some reasonable buys out there.

SC, S or NA? Only you can decide on that. I owned an Elise SC, have never driven a NA Elise or Evora, and have driven an Evora S. For me, the additional cost of supercharging is worth it. For you, it might not be. Certainly you'll probably feel more underpowered in the NA Evora than the Elise judging by everything I've read both on this forum and articles. I hope that helps, but remember that it's only one man's opinion.
LOADS of good advice. Thank you again. And sorry for all the questions! I'm very excited about my dream.

I've done enough reading here to see some sad front clam tragedies (my god, that armadillo :eek:), so would heed your advice. Thanks for giving me confidence in the ease of installing it.

Really most of my search has been for a NA Elise - cost difference seems more extreme there - or an Evora S. I will definitely try my best to get out to shows and meets. And I'm hoping to engage drivers on here to share their experiences to help craft my decision.

Here's an Elise I'm particularly fond of Lotus : Elise | eBay and have been in preliminary talks with the owner, a LT member, about it. I haven't seen any others with interior like that. Could that be stock (should probably just ask him)? While cheaper Elise's are out there, I'd want one that's still under warranty and prefer the older body-style to the 11's.

Congrats on the new Evora!!!!:shift:

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
If you want a factory warranty, you're mostly going to be out of luck with elise

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want a factory warranty, you're mostly going to be out of luck with elise
Thanks. They are very few and far between and have a pretty big premium attached to them.

My biggest concern with getting one out of warranty is that I wouldn't be able to do much (probably any :() of the servicing myself. This is probably on another thread, but how much frequent maintenance do they need that I would have trouble with? From everything everyone has every said about Lotus, they're buggy cars. I'm certainly fine with quirks, but how often will I run into problems that functionally limit the car's ability to run?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Let the adventure begin!

As long as you remember what Jeremy Clarkson says at the beginning of this
and you can live with that, you will be in for the "grin that will not go away".

For the most part a Lotus is a momentum car, not a fast car. Unless the car has been modified, you dont hear "I pulled the Corvette/Porsche/Mini van by six car lengths down the long straight". But in the corners, the car make me look like a better driver!

The feedback by Elise gives makes most other cars I have driven seem like sensory deprivation chambers.

The interior amenities that the Lotus offers makes it seem like a sensory deprivation chamber compared to most cars I have driven.

There is a saying about Baja that "You either get it and cant imagine not going back, or you dont get it and can never imagine going back." A Lotus brings out similar emotions. You either overlook the challenges of physically getting into the car so you can drive it, or you just dont see its worth the drive to get into the car.

I have owned my car for three years. I still spend way too much time scheming on chores I need to do, just so I can drive the car.

To brush on your actual questions. The car is low, you will scrap the nose. NA power in the city is fine. The car is happier with RPM, but its fine at low RPM's. Clutch is light, shifter is easy, ride is firm but works. Maintenance is easy to do, but small hands fit into small spaces better. For the 20 miles a week that you drive, this car is a DD. (but I bet you end up driving 100 miles, or more, a week:) because you, well, you want to)

I am a cheep / bias SOB. The Evora is a wonderful car, but a older Elise/Exige has already depreciated about as much as it is going to. For a $30K investment you can pick up an Elise, drive it for years (having way too much fun) and sell it (but why would you want to) for $25K and have many many stories! ($5K depreciation is less than what an new Aston Martin looses just driving off the lot!)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let the adventure begin!

As long as you remember what Jeremy Clarkson says at the beginning of this
Lotus Exige vs Ford Mustang - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube
and you can live with that, you will be in for the "grin that will not go away".

For the most part a Lotus is a momentum car, not a fast car. Unless the car has been modified, you dont hear "I pulled the Corvette/Porsche/Mini van by six car lengths down the long straight". But in the corners, the car make me look like a better driver!

The feedback by Elise gives makes most other cars I have driven seem like sensory deprivation chambers.

The interior amenities that the Lotus offers makes it seem like a sensory deprivation chamber compared to most cars I have driven.

There is a saying about Baja that "You either get it and cant imagine not going back, or you dont get it and can never imagine going back." A Lotus brings out similar emotions. You either overlook the challenges of physically getting into the car so you can drive it, or you just dont see its worth the drive to get into the car.

I have owned my car for three years. I still spend way too much time scheming on chores I need to do, just so I can drive the car.

To brush on your actual questions. The car is low, you will scrap the nose. NA power in the city is fine. The car is happier with RPM, but its fine at low RPM's. Clutch is light, shifter is easy, ride is firm but works. Maintenance is easy to do, but small hands fit into small spaces better. For the 20 miles a week that you drive, this car is a DD. (but I bet you end up driving 100 miles, or more, a week:) because you, well, you want to)

I am a cheep / bias SOB. The Evora is a wonderful car, but a older Elise/Exige has already depreciated about as much as it is going to. For a $30K investment you can pick up an Elise, drive it for years (having way too much fun) and sell it (but why would you want to) for $25K and have many many stories! ($5K depreciation is less than what an new Aston Martin looses just driving off the lot!)
This is great! Love the analogies. I think more people considering Lotus would be wise to read those. The deprivation chamber comparison is hilariously erudite :up: rotfl. While the interior is minimalistic, I think it's great; the aluminum is industrially beautiful. Only issue would be the radio which has to be the easiest thing to replace. And from everything I've ever encountered with Lotus, I "get it" and love it :coolnana:.

Definitely would plan to use it as a DD and be adding miles! If the Evora S test drive is any indicator, doctors should prescribe these things as anti-depressants.

Thanks for the opinions on city driving with the Elise and getting into the clutch. Really want something that's fun but has enough to open it up a bit if I get an open road. Most of the use I could get out of it would be around corners at medium-low speeds are town anyway. I agree with you on the depreciation front too; these things seem to be phenomenal investments, well the Eliges at leaast. I love the Exige, but the lack of a rear-windshield, the cost premium to the Elise, and the reportedly overly-louder engine (maybe) make me hesitant. But I plan to test the whole range before diving in.

Very helpful post.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The price difference between a n/a Elise and an Evora S is huge. Think $30k vs $90k. If you thought the Evora steering is telepathic, you're going to think that you're in a video game with the Elise. I've driven both (own an elise) back to back to compare and while the Evora can compare to a 911, it's a tug boat compared to an Elise.

Your garage sounds like a no-go to me. I have places that my old Shelby Cobra had zero problems getting over that the Elise (100% stock) has no chance to get into. The nose in front of the wheels is longer than you might think and it is very low. If any car ever has scraped in your garage, an Elise will definately not work and an Evora would be strongly questionable.

They're great cars but they have their downsides.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The price difference between a n/a Elise and an Evora S is huge. Think $30k vs $90k. If you thought the Evora steering is telepathic, you're going to think that you're in a video game with the Elise. I've driven both (own an elise) back to back to compare and while the Evora can compare to a 911, it's a tug boat compared to an Elise.

Your garage sounds like a no-go to me. I have places that my old Shelby Cobra had zero problems getting over that the Elise (100% stock) has no chance to get into. The nose in front of the wheels is longer than you might think and it is very low. If any car ever has scraped in your garage, an Elise will definately not work and an Evora would be strongly questionable.

They're great cars but they have their downsides.
I would definitely measure out the ramps before buying. I haven't seen anything scrape on them, but the only "exotic" car I see in my garage is an early 2000s corvette.

I can hardly even imagine a better handling experience! Can't wait to actually get to drive one - not sure when it will happen, but it will.

Aside from the price seeming a bit high (but other SC's with more miles seem to be in the mid 40's), can anyone explain why this Cars for Sale: 2008 Lotus Elise SC in Birmingham, MI 48009: Convertible Details - 265502321 - AutoTrader.com Elise has been listed for so long? The yellow wheels aren't really my thing, and would prefer LRG to BRG, but I would think with that color combination, the limited 60th anniversary edition, and the very low mileage somoene would have tried to get that quickly.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
First issue is the clearance for your parking ramp. If that works, go for it. Judging from your attitude, you'll appreciate an Elise or Exige. Believe it or not, basic maintainence is mostly easy, even for the noob. A pair of plastic ramps, a socket set, an oil filter wrench, and patience are all that is required to change your own oil and save big $. A trained chimpanzee could do it.

As for the driving, the only problem is that this will be the sports car by which you will judge all others from now on. You might get spoiled too soon to appreciate what you have.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think it's a gentile enough slope that I would be safe if careful.
Wait...you've got a *gentile* slope in your garage? Makes me wonder what the Jewish people there do. ;-)

I kid, I kid. You meant gentle, but it came out something much more interesting.

Good luck on your search! I have the same concern as you regarding my driveway. Short of getting someone with an Elise to try it, I haven't figured out how I'll be able to know for sure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As for the driving, the only problem is that this will be the sports car by which you will judge all others from now on. You might get spoiled too soon to appreciate what you have.
I seriously considered including that in my first post as one of my concerns :).

Thanks for again assuring me that I can learn how to work on the car. I'm sure there are books or tutorials on all this stuff so I can teach myself. I may see a new hobby in my future, compliments of Lotus. These really do seem like cars people fall in love with and are very personal to the driver / owner. Since they're such raw, personal cars, it really seems appropraite to maintain it yourself.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey all. I'm new to posting but have been reading for a few months and have loved Lotus for years. Don't have one yet, but dream every day. I think I did my first post wrong :panic:, and on top of that put it in the wrong section :wallbang:. Sorry. I'll keep it shorter here. I couldn't find this topic anywhere, but sorry if it's a repeat / a stupid question.

Is it totally unreasonable to get a Lotus as a first sports car? I drive a manual wrangler now, but have experience in borrowed / family Porsches, BMWs, some smaller imports, and had the good luck to test drive and Evora S :D. But I've never actually owned a sports car or driven one consistently for more than a few weeks.

I'm a young guy who is not really familiar with auto-mechanics, so wouldn't be looking to do many repairs myself (would want something under warranty). Also wouldn't plan to mod / track it; maybe autocross to really learn the car. Mostly I am looking for a car that is really fun to drive and for some crazy reason the quirks of Lotus actually attract me to them.

Thanks for the advice.
I just glanced through the responses so my apologies if I this was already discussed, but I really think you should try an Elise/Exige before you consider purchasing one. The Evora is a much different/larger car and I know a lot of people who would drive an Evora who wouldn't even think about driving an Elise/Exige due to its size.

This is especially true if you are using this as a DD. DDing these cars can be done but it is not for everyone.

I don't know about the ramp at your apartment, but I also live in the DFW area and you quickly realize that you have to pay a lot more attention to EVERYTHING because this car will bottom out on all sorts of stuff. Perfect example is the other day when I was going to get gas I bottomed out on the little connection where the gas trucks attach their hose to to pump fuel to the tanks. 99.99999% of cars on the road would never even notice it, much less be affected by driving over such a small thing. Installing a front splitter is the one of the best investments you can make for your car. I can't tell you how many times it has took the brunt of a steep bump or hill instead of my clam. And in regards to damaging it, honestly I can't hardly tell that my splitter has ever been scraped underneath. I assume it is some extremely hard polymer that takes the abuse easily.

I was the same way as you in regards to wrench-time. I had none. The thought of lifting my car up and performing maintenance on it terrified me. But once you actually get under there it isn't as bad. Don't pay an arm and a leg for someone else to do simple tasks such as changing the oil. It is extremely easy. Yes, it is intimidating at first, but you get used to it. I've went from being hesitant to remove a tire to planning on potentially removing the from clam to replace a radiator in a couple weeks (we'll see how that goes haha).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait...you've got a *gentile* slope in your garage? Makes me wonder what the Jewish people there do. ;-)

I kid, I kid. You meant gentle, but it came out something much more interesting.

Good luck on your search! I have the same concern as you regarding my driveway. Short of getting someone with an Elise to try it, I haven't figured out how I'll be able to know for sure.
HA! I try my best to avoid typos, and that's a great one.

I've spent most of the day trying to figure out how to make a mold of or use the good 'ol protractor, compass, leveler combo to make an approximation. So far the best I've got is to take a piece of a carboard box and shape it along the curved surface of the ramp. That way I can lay the flat edge down under an Elise and test the clearance. I can only imagine the looks I would get sitting on the exit ramp shaving a cardboard box. There goes any chance of meeting the neighbors...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just glanced through the responses so my apologies if I this was already discussed, but I really think you should try an Elise/Exige before you consider purchasing one. The Evora is a much different/larger car and I know a lot of people who would drive an Evora who wouldn't even think about driving an Elise/Exige due to its size.

This is especially true if you are using this as a DD. DDing these cars can be done but it is not for everyone.

I don't know about the ramp at your apartment, but I also live in the DFW area and you quickly realize that you have to pay a lot more attention to EVERYTHING because this car will bottom out on all sorts of stuff. Perfect example is the other day when I was going to get gas I bottomed out on the little connection where the gas trucks attach their hose to to pump fuel to the tanks. 99.99999% of cars on the road would never even notice it, much less be affected by driving over such a small thing. Installing a front splitter is the one of the best investments you can make for your car. I can't tell you how many times it has took the brunt of a steep bump or hill instead of my clam. And in regards to damaging it, honestly I can't hardly tell that my splitter has ever been scraped underneath. I assume it is some extremely hard polymer that takes the abuse easily.

I was the same way as you in regards to wrench-time. I had none. The thought of lifting my car up and performing maintenance on it terrified me. But once you actually get under there it isn't as bad. Don't pay an arm and a leg for someone else to do simple tasks such as changing the oil. It is extremely easy. Yes, it is intimidating at first, but you get used to it. I've went from being hesitant to remove a tire to planning on potentially removing the from clam to replace a radiator in a couple weeks (we'll see how that goes haha).
More encouragement - thank you!!! And good luck with all that work :bow:.

If I was to go with the Elise, I've decided thanks to you all the front spliiter would be a must. After looking around the forum, I've found they're reasonably affordable as well as rather attractive. The benefits certainly seem to outweigh the fact that I have limited experience.

How is it having an Elise in this area? Is it engaging enough to really have fun with the car? Not to be too forward, but I would love an opportunity to get to so much as look at your car. I've never actually seen an Elise in person, and fully recognize that these are cars that must be experienced before purchasing (have a friend in Jacksonville I plan to visit and may convince him to take me to World Imports so I can experience more of the range than they have at Lotus of Plano). From what I can tell, aside from the ride height issue, an Elise seems like it would be surprisingly accomadative of my general car usage :nanner:.

If there are any local events or anything where I could meet owners and check out cars, I would be very excited to hear of them:D.

·
Registered
490 Posts
More encouragement - thank you!!! And good luck with all that work :bow:.

If I was to go with the Elise, I've decided thanks to you all the front spliiter would be a must. After looking around the forum, I've found they're reasonably affordable as well as rather attractive. The benefits certainly seem to outweigh the fact that I have limited experience.

How is it having an Elise in this area? Is it engaging enough to really have fun with the car? Not to be too forward, but I would love an opportunity to get to so much as look at your car. I've never actually seen an Elise in person, and fully recognize that these are cars that must be experienced before purchasing (have a friend in Jacksonville I plan to visit and may convince him to take me to World Imports so I can experience more of the range than they have at Lotus of Plano). From what I can tell, aside from the ride height issue, an Elise seems like it would be surprisingly accomadative of my general car usage :nanner:.

If there are any local events or anything where I could meet owners and check out cars, I would be very excited to hear of them:D.
You have to go out of the city to really take advantage of the performance aspects of the car, but depending on where you are located it isn't that bad. I basically go northwest of here and there are some pretty good roads not too far off. That being said, I drive like a wussy and haven't gotten near taking advantage of the car to its full extent. Honestly you'd want to save that for the track.

There are a few of us in the area, but yes, it is extremely rare to see a Lotus on the road, even in a big city like Dallas. I've lived here for about 2 years and off the top of my head I can think of 4 other Lotuses I've ever seen here, with all of them being Elises. I probably see 4 or 5 Lamborghinis/Ferraris for every 1 Lotus that I see. They garner A LOT of attention so you need to be prepared for that. People are going to ask you tons of questions, when you are driving down the road you'll notice the minivan next to you almost hitting a traffic light as the driver is trying to take cell phone pictures of your car, and if you ever park it and go inside, you'll often come out to some random person taking pictures of it. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable parking it in a public garage because of stupid/jealous people vandalizing it, but to each their own. They aren't overly expensive cars but the fact of the matter is that a majority of the population has no idea what it is and just assume you are some rich punk driving a 250k dollar car.

Once I get mine back up and running you are more than welcome to check it out. Just keep in mind that mine is going to be quite a bit different than a stock or semi-stock one. It is going to be noticeably louder, shake more (due to engine mounts), the interior looks like a Christmas tree because of all of the lights and gauges, and of course it will be noticeably faster as well. :D

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If you buy an exige and pull the front splitter off it, you have a lot more clearance than an elise. This was a HUGE selling point of the exige to me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You have to go out of the city to really take advantage of the performance aspects of the car, but depending on where you are located it isn't that bad. I basically go northwest of here and there are some pretty good roads not too far off. That being said, I drive like a wussy and haven't gotten near taking advantage of the car to its full extent. Honestly you'd want to save that for the track.

There are a few of us in the area, but yes, it is extremely rare to see a Lotus on the road, even in a big city like Dallas. I've lived here for about 2 years and off the top of my head I can think of 4 other Lotuses I've ever seen here, with all of them being Elises. I probably see 4 or 5 Lamborghinis/Ferraris for every 1 Lotus that I see. They garner A LOT of attention so you need to be prepared for that. People are going to ask you tons of questions, when you are driving down the road you'll notice the minivan next to you almost hitting a traffic light as the driver is trying to take cell phone pictures of your car, and if you ever park it and go inside, you'll often come out to some random person taking pictures of it. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable parking it in a public garage because of stupid/jealous people vandalizing it, but to each their own. They aren't overly expensive cars but the fact of the matter is that a majority of the population has no idea what it is and just assume you are some rich punk driving a 250k dollar car.

Once I get mine back up and running you are more than welcome to check it out. Just keep in mind that mine is going to be quite a bit different than a stock or semi-stock one. It is going to be noticeably louder, shake more (due to engine mounts), the interior looks like a Christmas tree because of all of the lights and gauges, and of course it will be noticeably faster as well. :D
Fortunately the garage to my building is private and you need a key and gate opener to get in. Hopefully the people in my building wouldn't be so evil.

Hearing about your car has put a huge smile on my face just now. Would love to check it out, different or not. Like you said, they're very rare, so I'd love to see one in any form. Please let me know when it's up and running.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts